Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: Yes
So for those of us flying back to West Coast US, with PreCheck, and on flights between 12-2p, where is PreCheck still open?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by qisu
I flew one of the evening redeye HNL-SFO this past May. Had to do the long walk to this precheck checkpoint that's pictured in the OP. Though precheck lane was only about 10 people deep.
disappointing! Plus my late pm shower will be negated by all this walking

I got a text from UA saying I need to show up 3 hours early just now too.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Interesting, I'll be there later this month during that time of the day and am curious to see how it is. As for the Hawaiian Airlines terminal, I've found Pre to be a very easy line, but the regular line has been realllllllllly long.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
I went through last week at noon for a 3:20 departure, and breezed through PreCheck. 4 ppl in front of me.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Another option is the security checkpoint on the left side of Lobby 3 in Terminal 1. Because HA shifted international check-in to Lobby 4, the least number of travelers use it among the bunch. It isn't a precheck lane, but if you point out you do have precheck, they let you leave sneakers on and allow you to walk around the body scanner which does save some time... and lately, its been faster than using the backed-up PreCheck lane when its open at the opposite side of the terminal. And then you can walk or take the WikiWiki to wherever.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Next month in Sept. I have a trip HNL-EWR 3:10pm flight time. Based on OP, I should arrive at the security line no later than 1pm? (I have Pre-check.) For my friend who does not have pre-check, is it still the same area or is the non-pre-check line in a different place somewhere else?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A big precheck caveat - last month, I was flying AS out midday and TSA decided to shut precheck altogether, to the dismay of a lot of us, who were directed back to the end of the regular line. "Supervisor made us do it - no idea if it will reopen soon or not."
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by miasmal
Next month in Sept. I have a trip HNL-EWR 3:10pm flight time. Based on OP, I should arrive at the security line no later than 1pm? (I have Pre-check.) For my friend who does not have pre-check, is it still the same area or is the non-pre-check line in a different place somewhere else?
1 is hopefully safe. There's just a lot more variably mid-day than there used to be, and at a minimum, there's more walking required. Assuming you still have to stop at the counter to check bags, you (pre-check) will have to walk past the United screening area (which is closed) to the next screening area. Friend (non - precheck) will have to keep walking to the next screening location beyond that. Of course after clearing, you then have to backtrack. Not only did hnl decide to close the United screening area during the afternoon, but they reduced to only 1 precheck area for all mainland /international flights - hence the massive precheck lines at times.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
MCT Int'l to domestic @ HNL

Couldn't find an appropriate thread, so Mods please feel free to move/merge if needed.

Flying NRT-HNL on UA arriving at 6:50 AM. Would like to connect to the 8 AM flight to SFO. UA is not allowing the connect Guessing it violates the MCT @ HNL for Int'l/Domestic. A few questions for the sages here on FT:

-What is the official MCT for this transfer?
-Practically speaking with no luggage and Global Entry, is this connection doable?
-If I choose to book this itinerary on 2 tickets (I understand I lose protection if miss the connect), what is the current "flat tire" rule if I get to HNL late and beg forgiveness?
-I have connected off this flight many times to HA and neighbor islands, but never to onward UA domestic connections. From the Customs Hall, what is the fastest way to the UA gates?
- Is it even worth trying to see if while I'm at NRT UA might be willing to route me directly from NRT-SFO?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I can make the 8 AM flight I ultimately save 1/2 a day at my final destination. Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by bluedemon211; Dec 28, 2019 at 5:46 pm
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:01 pm

120 minutes UA to UA on an Int’l—>Dom at HNL
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From ExpertFlyer
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.15 1.00 2.00 2.00
OFFLINE 1.15 1.00 2.00 2.00 ** OR * ARE ALL
UA-UA ID SUP CDS ** - **
UA-UA ID 1.30 GUM - ALL
UA-UA ID 2.00
So 2 hours MCT at HNL for NRT-HNL-domestic

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
-If I choose to book this itinerary on 2 tickets (I understand I lose protection if miss the connect), what is the current "flat tire" rule if I get to HNL late and beg forgiveness?
what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)
Yes, but it is standby on the next available flight and seat assignment -- whatever is left after all the rest have been taken.
SDC (if available) is a better choice if you are not going to make it

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2019 at 6:09 pm Reason: link
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Couldn't find an appropriate thread, so Mods please feel free to move/merge if needed.

Flying NRT-HNL on UA arriving at 6:50 AM. Would like to connect to the 8 AM flight to SFO. UA is not allowing the connect Guessing it violates the MCT @ HNL for Int'l/Domestic. A few questions for the sages here on FT:

-What is the official MCT for this transfer?
-Practically speaking with no luggage and Global Entry, is this connection doable?
-I have connected off this flight many times to HA and neighbor islands, but never to onward UA domestic connections. From the Customs Hall, what is the fastest way to the UA gates?
- Is it even worth trying to see if while I'm at NRT UA might be willing to route me directly from NRT-SFO?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I can make the 8 AM flight I ultimately save 1/2 a day at my final destination. Thanks for all your help!
MCT for I-D is typically 90 min.

If NRT-HNL arrives on time, you will have sufficient time to make the connection.

I would NOT recommend to purchase two tickets; two much unnecessary stress on your travel.

After exiting the Customs hall, turn left and take an elevator to the departure level; keep walking in the same direction until you see Pre-Check. After security, turn left and walk to G gates. The walking time is approximately 15-20 min in total.

If you have Premier Gold status and above, you can use same day change to nonstop NRT-SFO. If you do not do this, you can standby for 8:00 am HNL-SFO if there is seat available.
Good luck.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by runner450
120 minutes UA to UA on an Int’l—>Dom at HNL
Thank you!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
From ExpertFlyer

So 2 hours MCT at HNL for NRT-HNL-domestic

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)
Yes, but it is standby on the next available flight and seat assignment -- whatever is left after all the rest have been taken.
SDC (if available) is a better choice if you are not going to make it
Thanks Wine Country, much appreciated as always!

Originally Posted by Kmxu

If NRT-HNL arrives on time, you will have sufficient time to make the connection.

I would NOT recommend to purchase two tickets; two much unnecessary stress on your travel.

After exiting the Customs hall, turn left and take an elevator to the departure level; keep walking in the same direction until you see Pre-Check. After security, turn left and walk to G gates. The walking time is approximately 15-20 min in total.

If you have Premier Gold status and above, you can use same day change to nonstop NRT-SFO. If you do not do this, you can standby for 8:00 am HNL-SFO if there is seat available.
Good luck.
Thanks Kmxu, much appreciate your responses. As you and Wine Country point out, SDC is certainly a tool that could help for various reasons. I'm 1K so it would be no charge which is nice.

One question on your directions after customs. I thought taking a left out of the building and going upstairs to departures dumps me out at HA ticket counters? I normally take the escalator up. Does that make sense? Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2019 at 6:52 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Good luck.
This is incorrect. The MCT at HNL for UA I-D is 2:00. Whatever it may typically be, it is not in this instance.

Booking separate tickets to beat the MCT is a very poor idea. Any UA agent might well take the position that this is not a flat tire as you were never going to be able to make the booked flight in the first place.

I agree that SDC is the easiest and best. When you arrive at HNL, you will have a good idea about your situation and, if you have bags, you can have them tagged to the new flight at recheck post Customs.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:56 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Been a while since I've cleared customs/immigration in HNL, but I think they have limited hours early/late in the day, so I think we had to take wait for a bus to dump us on the other side of the terminal. Someone more familiar with HNL may be able to chime in about the hours.
Good luck.
Can you SDC two separate PNRs into one? This info could have saved me some trouble in the past!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.