Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
What the heck, United? These are your largest spenders who add 10x the revenue of those occasional flyers that you were quick to appease.
I think they're too busy thinking of ways to screw people by raising the award chart again to think about that ;-)
kb1992, narvik and manstein58 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I think they're too busy thinking of ways to screw people by raising the award chart again to think about that ;-)
yup, im noticing mileage redemption prices going up on the routes I’m looking at, not to mention the Merchandise rewards pricing doubling...

I did notice on my status page has been updated to show my Plus points award for 2020 ($22K in 2020 spend = new 1K qualification) and an updated message that GS will be evaluated at the end of the year!

anyone know what the 360 match/challenge requirements are???

Last edited by Dyce; Apr 30, 2020 at 9:03 am
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Dyce
yup, im noticing mileage redemption prices going up on the routes I’m looking at, not to mention the Merchandise rewards pricing doubling...

I did notice on my status page has been updated to show my Plus points award for 2020 ($22K in 2020 spend = new 1K qualification) and an updated message that GS will be evaluated at the end of the year!

anyone know what the 360 match/challenge requirements are???
360 invites are the highest out of the us3. If u don’t live in a huge delta hub your going to need at least 75k on delta metal. If you do live in a delta hub 90k is about the starting point from what I’ve seen.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drklain
Had an email come in today from Toby Enqvist (UA Chief Customer Officer). Subject was "A Note from our Chief Customer Officer" and banner at top of note was "We're making changes with you in mind." Thought it might be something to do with GS extension. Alas it was basically pap restating info United is already publicizing:
  • Every customer has until 31 May to make changes to existing reservations or book flights that can be changed or cancelled without a fee for 12 months.
  • Safety policies on board. Blocking middle seats, cabin crew wearing face masks and (beginning in early May) pax will be made available to customers as well.
  • Info on what United employees are doing in local communities (they've done a lot of work with food banks - volunteering).
To be honest, the fact that they had the time to send this out but no other comms when they have to know GS are frustrated at the lack of comms seems somewhat tone-deaf. Even a note to all GS saying "we know you are wondering about extensions of GS since we announced them for Silver to 1K, but at this point we are evaluating things and are delaying a decision on this until we see how the year goes." would be more than enough. It's the lack of any sort of comms that I find frustrating....
Chief Customer Officer
United Airlines
I never once have received an email from UAL for anything like this including GS Renewal, etc., etc. A UAL member since 1988, I am a 3MM and GS for 8 consecutive years and never once communication via email. A few phone calls congratulating me on GS Renewal, and mail correspondence. But never an email - and my email address is in my profile.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
360 invites are the highest out of the us3. If u don’t live in a huge delta hub your going to need at least 75k on delta metal. If you do live in a delta hub 90k is about the starting point from what I’ve seen.
I was questioning what the current match/challenge is, not what is normally required to qualify.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by KevinPK1
I never once have received an email from UAL for anything like this including GS Renewal, etc., etc. A UAL member since 1988, I am a 3MM and GS for 8 consecutive years and never once communication via email. A few phone calls congratulating me on GS Renewal, and mail correspondence. But never an email - and my email address is in my profile.
I do like the coasters and the carbon fiber tags. The charging pad this year was a nice touch. My iPhone 11 doesn't seem to charge on it reliably, but I still appreciate the gesture.

But yeah, never an email, and I'm using chasing down to see if I made the cut.

Last edited by DMSFCA; Apr 30, 2020 at 12:37 pm Reason: Type that made me look dyslexic.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by drklain
I think he meant Berlin Tiegel airport (TXL)...
correct
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
That sounds like United at SFO. I've been on a few flights that must have had 10 Global Services people at boarding, the 1K posse is getting big, too. I'm always shocked when traveling in other smaller markets where I'm the only one since i'm SFO based.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Dyce
I was questioning what the current match/challenge is, not what is normally required to qualify.
There are no matches or challenges. The best you could do is a challenge to diamond and even that might be unrealistic given how irregularly those are given out.
Dyce likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I do like the coasters and the carbon fiber tags. The charging pad this year was a nice touch. My iPhone 11 doesn't seem to charge on it reliably, but I still appreciate the gesture.

But yeah, never an email, and I'm using chasing down to see if I made the cut.
At least you got that. I didn’t even receive a kit.
Old May 2, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: DL360, Marriott Ambassdor
75k is an overstatement. Definitely not the min.
Old May 2, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ek3494
75k is an overstatement. Definitely not the min.
I can confirm this. I qualified out of DCA with much less than this.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by shelby101
Talked with GS agent yesterday and was told we(GS Persons) will get an email by the end of the month.
Was hoping this was true.. still nothing

My first year as GS, will be so disappointed if they don't extend, given what AA and DL have done. Majority of my spend is on corp transpac travel and I have no clue when that will start up again in 2020. Even if the new threshold is $25 - $30K, I may not hit that this year. Atleast I got in $5K in Q1...
Old May 2, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by pigzilla

My first year as GS, will be so disappointed if they don't extend, given what AA and DL have done. Majority of my spend is on corp transpac travel and I have no clue when that will start up again in 2020. Even if the new threshold is $25 - $30K, I may not hit that this year. Atleast I got in $5K in Q1...
im in exactly the same situation
pigzilla likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by pigzilla

Too much whittling away yet to be done by Kirby and his henchmen on Mileage Plus to worry about United's most valued customers
pigzilla likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.