Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
One thing I am confused about... is that some... do get GS status notification in the same year..... like for instance.. now.... and others, in january as GS mention they are evaluating.... is there a reason why some are getting notification earlier?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Spire Elite + Kimpton Inner Circle, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cbono
One thing I am confused about... is that some... do get GS status notification in the same year..... like for instance.. now.... and others, in january as GS mention they are evaluating.... is there a reason why some are getting notification earlier?
I think this just shows to people who both had GS and also hit 1MM during the year, but doesn't necessarily mean they get GS for the following year. You get updated bag tags with your status that indicate Million Miler on them. I think this is more of a website limitation as this is what you see when bag tags are in processed.

We'd have to prove it with someone who has GS now, hits 1MM this year, and wont requalify for GS 2020. Let us know if anyone is in this bucket

Nothing I've seen indicates that you can get nominated outside of the January window otherwise
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by k_den
Nothing I've seen indicates that you can get nominated outside of the January window otherwise
You can definitely be nominated outside of the ~January window (not due to corporate contracts). I personally know that this can happen... and, you can find evidence of this scattered about if you look hard enough.

Also, most corporate contracts renew outside of the calendar year... and the intra-corporate nominations may vary. I know that's not what was asked, but it may yield GS members that "look" like they qualified outside of the normal cycle.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:38 pm

I think this just shows to people who both had GS and also hit 1MM during the year, but doesn't necessarily mean they get GS for the following year. You get updated bag tags with your status that indicate Million Miler on them. I think this is more of a website limitation as this is what you see when bag tags are in processed.

We'd have to prove it with someone who has GS now, hits 1MM this year, and wont requalify for GS 2020. Let us know if anyone is in this bucket

I hit 1MM in a week. I have been GS for the last three years. I am 50-50 of getting it next year, so I may be your test subject
k_den likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.01MM / BonVoy Ambassador & Life Titanium / National Elite Exec.
Curious to find out what the experts think my chances of achieving GS status in 2020 are. Few pertinent facts.
Joined Mileage Plus when my OnePass account was merged into it. Been a 1K since the two loyalty programs were functionally merged, i.e., 2013.
PQD (rounded) for 2016, 2017, 2018 are $33,500, $25,800, and $46,200, respectively. All on UA metal. All 016 tickets.
This year's PQD should end-up somewhere slightly north of $50,000 and PQM will be around 225,000 to 250,000. All 016 tickets.
IAH based.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fivestardude
This year's PQD should end-up somewhere slightly north of $50,000 and PQM will be around 225,000 to 250,000. All 016 tickets.
IAH based.
As long as this year is all on UA metal too, I think you'll get it.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Curious to find out what the experts think my chances of achieving GS status in 2020 are. Few pertinent facts.
Joined Mileage Plus when my OnePass account was merged into it. Been a 1K since the two loyalty programs were functionally merged, i.e., 2013.
PQD (rounded) for 2016, 2017, 2018 are $33,500, $25,800, and $46,200, respectively. All on UA metal. All 016 tickets.
IAH based.
Are you mostly flying flexible/unrestricted economy or premium cabin fares?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.01MM / BonVoy Ambassador & Life Titanium / National Elite Exec.
I really enjoy the forensic nature of questions posed on this forum.
On domestic and quasi-domestic routes (Canada, Hawaii, Caribbean, and other non-BF/Polaris routes) I fly 50% paid front cabin (F or P fares), the reminder on regular economy (various fare buckets -- including flexible fares).
On TATL, it is 75% front cabin (ticketed) and 25% economy.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum

I received a mid-year invite this year so it does happen. I am not MM and am a ways off. I think mid-year MM does trigger the site to reissue credentials and get a mid-year packet. But that is different than a mid-year invite for the following year, which I received.

It is due to significant spend and only applies to non-GS (if already GS there is no reason for them to re-evaluate you early as you already hold the status). I had hit ~$75k in PQD on UA metal by April which triggered an evaluation and they invited me off-cycle.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I really enjoy the forensic nature of questions posed on this forum.
On domestic and quasi-domestic routes (Canada, Hawaii, Caribbean, and other non-BF/Polaris routes) I fly 50% paid front cabin (F or P fares), the reminder on regular economy (various fare buckets -- including flexible fares).
On TATL, it is 75% front cabin (ticketed) and 25% economy.
The more of your flying is flexible/refundable and/or front cabin, the better. You have a very good chance of making it!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I'll probably end around 150KPQM, 120PQS and $48KPQD, hopefully I get the requal message.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
I'm in a similar boat. Going to end up with about $70K PQD, but only 49,980 United PQD (literally 20 bucks short of 50K). Around 190 PQM. Been a 1K for the last 10 years. Hoping this puts me over for GS. All international travel but 4 flights, all but 2 in Business...Here's hoping because I literally have no empty weeks to do another flight and pick up a few extra PQD!

Last edited by drklain; Oct 8, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:56 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drklain
I'm in a similar boat. Going to end up with about $70K PQD, but only 49,980 United PQD (literally 20 bucks short of 50K). Around 190 PQM. Been a 1K for the last 10 years. Hoping this puts me over for GS. All international travel but 4 flights, all but 2 in Business...Here's hoping because I literally have no empty weeks to do another flight and pick up a few extra PQD!
I think you have a pretty good chance. How was 2017/18 UA metal PQD wise.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by LIH
I think you have a pretty good chance. How was 2017/18 UA metal PQD wise.
2017/2018 were lower but I think the upward trend may help:

2017 - 125K PQM, 16,281 United PQD, 20,061 total PQD
2018 - 152K PQM, 31,722 United PQD, 35,088 total PQD
2019 - 262K PQM, 49,983 United PQD, 64,430 total PQD

Three year total United PQD: $97,986 and next year would be the same as 2019 (if not higher) if I moved all my travel to United.

Everything I've read seems to be that over $50K United PQD and/or >$100K in previous three years is the trigger point. I'm hoping that being based out of IAD (as compared to say SFO) may put me high enough to qualify but recognize I may be one of those "on the bubble" folks. Like others here, I never really worried about United PQD and this year I made a deliberate effort to move every possible flight to United and used Lufthansa for the flights United simply doesn't offer. I know advice to others in a similar situation on this board has been to "do another little trip to push you over $50K" but that's realistically not going to happen. I have 4 trips to the Middle East and one trip to Europe between now and the end of the year (Europe trip is a family vacation where we return on 31 December and I used miles for the family but actually bought my ticket to press up the United PQD) so there literally isn't any room for another trip.

I know no one here can say for sure (or at least those who can make that call don't say it because they work for United and can't say) but my personal sense is I may get lucky or may just get disappointed and I won't know for sure until sometime in January. Really a case where United is shooting themselves in the foot. If I was to be notified in December, not only would it be a nice benefit for the Christmas trip (and tickets in business class are already bought anyway) but it would influence my ticket purchases for January-March of 2020 (all of which will be purchased before the end of the year). United's current approach of not notifying new invitees until middle to late January actually hurts them for Q1 ticket sales because of the uncertainty....I wonder if they realize that?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I agree with the analysis that you are on the bubble.. good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.