Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Has DL extended Diamond Medallion (or whatever their GS equivalent is called)?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Until you're booking flying again in any significant volume, the rush for info on extensions/requal seems strongly premature.
drklain likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by st530
Has DL extended Diamond Medallion (or whatever their GS equivalent is called)?
Diamond is more like 1K - their invite only is called "Delta 360" and from what I understand there's been no announcement.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Communication is my today annoyance

I get the GS Overlords don't know what the situation will be in a few months and want to keep their options open for GS qualification. Fine. But my son who is a silver member got a lengthy email outlining the situation, what United is doing, their approach, how important his business is. I got zip. It shouldn't take any of us here having to email United and hoping for a response. Communicate transparently and say that you aren't extending GS at this time but you love me (well, at the money I spend). An email like that would have alleviated the negative feelings I have toward United right now on this issue. Pretty simple way to better treat your most valuable customers.

For me, being off the road for a couple months has me re-assessing anyway. After 22 years of traveling almost every week somewhere, might be time to hang it up and stop chasing the next mile...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by mduell
Until you're booking flying again in any significant volume, the rush for info on extensions/requal seems strongly premature.
Doesn't seem to have been premature for all the non-GS members.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the point of an email without substance?

Originally Posted by Boghopper
Doesn't seem to have been premature for all the non-GS members.
I think that one was premature too, for both DL and UA.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by CarletonSloth
I get the GS Overlords don't know what the situation will be in a few months and want to keep their options open for GS qualification. Fine. But my son who is a silver member got a lengthy email outlining the situation, what United is doing, their approach, how important his business is. I got zip. It shouldn't take any of us here having to email United and hoping for a response. Communicate transparently and say that you aren't extending GS at this time but you love me (well, at the money I spend). An email like that would have alleviated the negative feelings I have toward United right now on this issue. Pretty simple way to better treat your most valuable customers.

For me, being off the road for a couple months has me re-assessing anyway. After 22 years of traveling almost every week somewhere, might be time to hang it up and stop chasing the next mile...
My wife is also enjoying a few months of not being on the road, and it may shift her perspective on the balance between convenience of flights and elite benefits. As I said before, there's a good chance this GS stuff will lead her to split loyalty and take whatever flights make sense on one of two airlines (like getting to south America on AA instead of UA, or going through HK to get to China rather than PEK, which is a nightmare/PITA) while enjoying top tier status. One GS only benefit has been nice (the upgrades on award flights is the only one we've really used), one has been OK (early boarding, which doesn't matter all that much when you're flying international business class), while the rest haven't mattered (the opening up of awards is now restricted and therefore useless, she's never seen a car transfer, and the couple of times she has needed assistance, like missing luggage when transferring in PEK, GS has been useless/no better than 1K).
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:53 pm

The silence speaks volumes.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I fully understand your response and need for assurance and certainty. Unfortunately, in this current environment, certainty is far from assured.
I would not jump to OAL unless OAL provide better scheduling, services and connections etc. If you are going out of your way to make GS instead of flying airlines that are in better position to meet your travel needs, then I agree you jump.

Unless you are certain your travels post Covid-19 can get you DL 360 or AA GC, chances are you will be a 1K based on reduced qualification and soft landing to 1K until Jan 31, 2022. You will still have GS benefits until 1/31/2021 and 1K benefits until 1/31/2022.

Why start at the bottom at another airlines and giving up the benefits between now and 1/31/2022? You may still requalify for GS if UA lower the threshold for requalification, which is quite likely at the moment.

This is the same advice I give to my GS colleagues, because their initial reaction is to jump, but most of them calm down and realize the alternatives are not much better. There is more certainty they may still requalify for GS than deal with the uncertainty with other two programs.
The part that hurts me the most is that UA has committed to "provide certainty" for everyone else except GS, with us being the best customers. Is that the way to treat the best customers giving certainty in this completely uncertain world to the other folks? That is the question that i am having a tough time answering myself. The situation is completely different if there is no announcement made prior to yesterday, which is why i kept my cool.

I travel a lot internationally and i usually go out of my way to get on UA even though fares are higher than getting on EVA, ANA or sometimes even SQ.

My whole notion of jumping is really just because i cannot see eye to eye with the current leadership anymore especially with all the changes affecting my friends and family in the last year with Mileage Plus. I just feel that perhaps this is the sign to move on.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Diamond is more like 1K - their invite only is called "Delta 360" and from what I understand there's been no announcement.
Once they make an announcement/word gets out we'll know what UA is going to do.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The silence speaks volumes.
About the lack of crystal ball?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:12 pm

About the lack of crystal ball?
The silence is the lack of any message to GS. They are making business decisions, and do not have a crystal ball for any of it. They made one for non-GS (welcome to the candy store) and they made one for GS (wait outside until we call you). Not making a decision is making a decision. It's theirs to make, and ours to make, as well. Like I said before, it's their airline (or at least they are the custodians for the shareholders), so it's their call. Not the call I would make for my highest value customers (30% of revenue? I've forgotten but that's the number I have in my head), but I'm no marketing genius.

Last edited by Boghopper; Apr 6, 2020 at 1:36 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:21 pm

Another thought about "premature". DL came out first and got credit for caring about their customers and providing some reassurance that normalcy will return. In strict business terms seems premature, but in emotional intelligence terms it's genius. The part of frequent flyer programs that UA doesn't understand is the emotional connection, while I think DL gets it. UA tries to get us with the objective value of the points, while DL provides skypesos but has success by building loyalty other ways. DL gets credit for moving first and showing it cares, while UA gets credit only for having sufficient brain stem activity to notice a competitor moved and copying it (as usual). I'm no fan of Delta, but like most viewers I can't help but admire the cunning the villain brings to his/her success.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Reminds of that scene in "Animal House"! Flounder asks Otter what will he tell his brother Fred when he returns the borrowed and wrecked car. Otter says "You@#%$&# up! You trusted us!"
Boghopper likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
The silence is the lack of any message to GS. They are making business decisions, and do not have a crystal ball for any of it. They made one for non-GS (welcome to the candy store) and they made one for non-GS (wait outside until we call you). Not making a decision is making a decision. It's theirs to make, and ours to make, as well. Like I said before, it's their airline (or at least they are the custodians for the shareholders), so it's their call. Not the call I would make for my highest value customers (30% of revenue? I've forgotten but that's the number I have in my head), but I'm no marketing genius.
I am totally with you on this!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.