Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
My stats are nearly identical to UA_Flyer's partner except I'm only at $53K and no invite this year.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by In The 216
I've read through most of the discussion here. Thought I would throw my stats out as a data point and I am interested in the thoughts of the group. CLE-based.

$19.5K

$21.4K

$48K
If I recall my first year qualifying out of CLE was somewhere between 48k-52k. That was after multiple years of spending roughly the same but lots of partner flights. Once I figured out I had to fly only United Metal I made GS.
drklain likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:08 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I am hoping this year is enough to qualify. All of my flights/spend have been on United metal. I am stuck with the million dollar question of whether or not to go on a PQD "run" to hit $50K.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:13 pm

I am hoping this year is enough to qualify. All of my flights/spend have been on United metal. I am stuck with the million dollar question of whether or not to go on a PQD "run" to hit $50K.
current GS
about $800 short of $50k this year
nit taking extra time from home during the holidays chasing an imaginary number. If I go on a run to get $50k then don’t get it...I’m gonna be pissed off. Does $800 really make a difference? Who knows. I’m going to find out
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by villox
Where the heck did this “trailing 3 year spend” thing come from? Is this another one of those fables we’ve come up with (like that it’s harder to qualify out of a hub) to convince ourselves we somehow understand UA’s decision making process?
I think it is just speculation, which has gotten repeated enough that people take it as gospel -- kind of like the "CPM" thing that everybody was touting a few years ago. The only difference is that there were many, many counter-examples that disproved the CPM thesis. I haven't seen too many that disprove the 3-year rolling window thesis -- it's just not clear whether the number is $100K of $120K or something else.
AugustusM likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I think it is just speculation, which has gotten repeated enough that people take it as gospel -- kind of like the "CPM" thing that everybody was touting a few years ago. The only difference is that there were many, many counter-examples that disproved the CPM thesis. I haven't seen too many that disprove the 3-year rolling window thesis -- it's just not clear whether the number is $100K of $120K or something else.
A new United flyer with $75k is going to get GS.

A loyal elite doing 33 33 33 isn’t going to get it.

It just doesn’t make much sense.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:53 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
current GS
nit taking extra time from home during the holidays chasing an imaginary number. If I go on a run to get $50k then don’t get it...I’m gonna be pissed off. Does $800 really make a difference? Who knows. I’m going to find out
I think our situations are different with you being a current GS. I do get your point and that's what I am debating: is the time and spend worth it? If I do it and still don't make it, I would probably be very annoyed. Not sure it's worth that.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:58 pm

I think our situations are different with you being a current GS. I do get your point and that's what I am debating: is the time and spend worth it? If I do it and still don't make it, I would probably be very annoyed. Not sure it's worth that.
I’m in the same position as you. My wife and I have no problems with me taking a day to do an out and back, so there’s that.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Makes sense to me, as who is more likely to spend the most in the coming year. If I were UA, I would bet on the first flyer. Clearly not a certainty but seems a reasonable projection.

Always very likely the first flyer generated as much or more "profit" in one year as the 3-year flyer did over 3 years but consuming more resources.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Makes sense to me, as who is more likely to spend the most in the coming year. If I were UA, I would bet on the first flyer. Clearly not a certainty but seems a reasonable projection.

Always very likely the first flyer generated as much or more "profit" in one year as the 3-year flyer did over 3 years but consuming more resources.
I meant the “trailing three year of $100k” being a metric doesn’t make sense.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC

I think it makes a lot of sense. One can guess that the consistent $33k flier is likely to do just that. The $75k flyer did over double that. While one can never guess if that will be repeat business, it’s absolutely worth it if they can put their best foot forward to keep that business. That flyer could do in two years what it would take the other flyer about half a decade.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I meant the “trailing three year of $100k” being a metric doesn’t make sense.
There is no reason to believe there is just a single metric for GS.
Yes bigger single year spenders are a no brainer but a rising spend over multiple years should attract some visibility. Additionally, you want some hysteresis in the program to allow for year to year variations.

If we reshape your original example -- a first, single-year $50K vs $40K-$40K-$40K 3-year pattern, the later might make more sense to get the nod first or at least equal consideration.

Suspect the GS selection is not a one-dimensional process and a number of factors are consisted, of which one could be a trailing years spend.

UA is trying to select and reward those that UA hopes will have the most impact of UA's up coming year.
drklain and jonisflying like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
current GS
I’m $42 short of $50k. Previous years have always been right around 50 give or take a few thousand. I’m hoping to requal again. Took lots of vacations this year with award miles, but pretty much had flights every week of the year.

Last edited by Chukiechz; Dec 23, 2019 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HAudidoody
I don't think that's safe to assume at all. I was a first year GS at $42K last year. And I know someone else who was first year at even lower, under $40K.
Yeah I think it’s safe to say margin plays some role. $40k on B fares is way more likely to qualify than $40k on T fares.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
I think one 1k who did not get a GS invite with over 50k was sent a letter saying that multiple year spend matters a lot. Don’t know where the 100k number came from.
That was me and my letter was posted in the 2018 thread. They did indeed say they considered 'multiple years' and when we totaled my 16, 17 and 18 spend it was under $100k.
jonisflying likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.