Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why do I have a cancel option for Basic Economy Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

A little on me and then a little on the situation.

Former long term 1K (even made GS a few times) and MM so have gold status due to that. But no longer fly much with united and in general (hence my login and my lack of knowledge of UAs new products).

Flying with party of 3 to LHR from SFO. Bought Basic economy because it was 1200 for *all* of us round trip.

A few weeks ago there was a slight schedule change involving just a 15 minute delay on the return leg.

One person now probably can't make it. Out of curiosity I checked the booking and each person has a cancellation button next to the ticket.

But I thought this was Basic Economy and no changes beyond 24 hours were allowed.

Is this a mistake? Or did something about my situation (MM, Flying to Europe, Schedule change) cause the button to be available.

Thanks.

Last edited by usedtobeimportant; Aug 3, 2019 at 7:34 am
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS
You would cancel for a variety of reasons, it just has no residual value. For example if you wanted to take a different flight, or decided to eat the cost and book a higher fare.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Okay but why?

Originally Posted by villox
You would cancel for a variety of reasons, it just has no residual value. For example if you wanted to take a different flight, or decided to eat the cost and book a higher fare.
Thanks. But why would I cancel the earlier ticket if it gets me no residual value. I can't claim the value of the cancelled ticket against the different flight can I?

So why wouldn't I just book the different flight and hope there is a schedule change for the first booking of more than 3 hours and I am offered compensation. At least that way I have a small chance of getting some value form the ticket.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, usedtobeimportant
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
... Is this a mistake? Or did something about my situation (MM, Flying to Europe, Schedule change) cause the button to be available. ...
The only one that could be a factor is the schedule change but 15 minutes is below the normal threshold even for a non-BE ticket.

If one of your party will not be making the trip, give the button a try and see what happens. The best I would have expected is a rescheduling opportunity but it would be interesting to see if you are offered a future credit (doubt it, but maybe)

More likely than not, this is just an IT glitch and no credit will be offered.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. When I click the button it warns me that if I continue the person will be put on a separate PNR.

If I hit OKAY to the warning is there another screen? Or will it just say thank you for the cancellation! The person is 95% unlikely to go, but not 100% sure.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, usedtobeimportant
The only one that could be a factor is the schedule change but 15 minutes is below the normal threshold even for a non-BE ticket.

If one of your party will not be making the trip, give the button a try and see what happens. The best I would have expected is a rescheduling opportunity but it would be interesting to see if you are offered a future credit (doubt it, but maybe)

More likely than not, this is just an IT glitch and no credit will be offered.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I remember correctly, it will split the PNR in one step, and then ask you to confirm the cancellation in the next.

However, what is the point in splitting now if you're not going to cancel now?

In this case I would wait until 100% sure the person needs to cancel. You have nothing to lose; maybe there will be more schedule changes, for instance.

edit: and welcome to flyertalk, by the way!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
welcome to ft!

unless I’m missing something, it’ll allow you to cancel the ticket, but that’s not the same thing as allowing you to cancel the ticket and get a refund for it. Sure, you can cancel...but that doesn’t mean there will be residual value for doing so.

i’d agree with previous posters—no need to cancel now, wait until closer to date of travel and hope for schedule change.

edited to add: I have a transcon BE itinerary coming up as well, and just checked—there is a cancel option, but I have no reason to believe I’d get anything back for canceling. quite the opposite.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by karenkay; Aug 3, 2019 at 9:10 am
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by karenkay

unless I’m missing something, it’ll allow you to cancel the ticket, but that’s not the same thing as allowing you to cancel the ticket and get a refund for it. Sure, you can cancel...but that doesn’t mean there will be residual value for doing so.
This - canceling and getting a refund (or keeping the value in the PNR to use on a future itinerary) are two different things. You can do the cancelation without refunding, for example. At least thats what agents have told me when, for example, I’ve canceled in 24 hours for a full refund, but been told I did the cancelation but not requested the refund (agent finished it up, but told me I never did it, even thought im sure I did).

There may be no changes/cancel on a BE ticket, per the rules, but all that means is that you won’t get $/value back (if you try to make a change). This is different from other tickets sold, most of which aren’t refundable but are changeable/cancelable, where you pay a fee and keep he rest in the PNR which can be used later. On BE, you get nothing. UA would probably prefer you cancel your reservation if you aren’t traveling, since they’ll know they have an extra seat to sell.

Domestic BE also is marketed as you can’t put a bag in the overhead bin. But again, there’s no real enforcement of this. The point is you can’t bring a rolerboard/full size carry on onboard, but only the smaller items that fit in the seat in front of you. FAs don’t know which passengers have BE and ‘access’ to the overhead. However, it’s generally assumed the smaller bags onboard are going to go under the seat in front, so that’s one way it makes sense. Sure, if you’re taking up the space in a bin that can be occupied by a rollerboard, especially if someone is looking for that space and can’t find it, you’ll likely be asked to move it. I frequently put my small backpack in an overhead - I just typically wait until there isn’t any more room for the bigger carryons in the bin above me or across from me, but there is for my backpack. Can’t remember a time ever where I haven’t been able to find that space - or sometimes less full flights, and particularly UAX where rollerboards get checked, where there isn’t 1/2 or a full empty bin to put it in. FAs aren’t going to stop BE ticket holders from doing that, either.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks. But why would I cancel the earlier ticket if it gets me no residual value. I can't claim the value of the cancelled ticket against the different flight can I?
If you have overlapping/impossible reservations, UA could randomly cancel the one you want to fly. You would cancel a BE ticket if you want to change it to something else on the same day -- you get no residual value from the BE ticket but now your record is clean.
jsloan, Often1, nancypants and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
But why would I cancel the earlier ticket if it gets me no residual value.
To be courteous to others who might want to book that flight?
CPRich and fastair like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by findark
If you have overlapping/impossible reservations, UA could randomly cancel the one you want to fly. You would cancel a BE ticket if you want to change it to something else on the same day -- you get no residual value from the BE ticket but now your record is clean.
This is what I was going to say. While the risk is low that they would cancel if you had another flight you decided you wanted to take a couple hours later, it’s there. And if you decided you wanted to say, take a first class seat on the same flight (lottery win? Inheritance?) you’d have no choice but to cancel your original ticket in order to rebook.

Point is there are legitimate reasons why someone would want to cancel a BE ticket and that’s why they allow you to.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:29 pm

It is normal to have a cancel option for non refundable airline tickets and hotel reservations even if you get absolutely nothing back. This is useful if you have to file a travel insurance claim. Most insurers require proof that you actually cancelled your booking and that you got absolutely nothing back from them.
PTahCha likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The specific fare rules are :

CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS
ANY TIME
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE. CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
NOTE -
-------
NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF ANY FARE TICKET
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF ANY OTHER FARE TICKET
-------
So there's absolutely nothing saying you can't cancel your ticket. Just don't expect a refund/residual value/anything else in return.

(FWIW, $35 each-way airfares plus $120 YQ. Nice fare, if not for the conditions...)
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
To be courteous to others who might want to book that flight?
uh yeh as soon as UA is courteous to paying customers and give them reasonable credit in this case then I would then no about doing THEM a favor.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:45 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold

A few weeks ago there was a slight schedule change involving just a 15 minute delay on the return leg.
Don't have much experience with basic fares, but maybe this triggered something?
Have you tried calling and asking what your options are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.