Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why did UA59 divert? 1 Aug 2019 {medical diversion then ATC delay}

Old Aug 1, 19, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

UA59 FRA-SFO tonight diverted to Edmonton due to ATC restrictions? What’s that all about?

0059/01AUG
P FRA/OUT 204P L00.09 ☨
P FRA/OFF 226P
P YEG/ON 253P
P YEG/IN 259P
P YEG/OUT 402P
P YEG/OFF 412P
P SFO/ON 541P
P SFO/IN 548P L01.18 ☨
D FCF/DVRT YEG ENRT FRA-SFO A/ATC RESTRICTION
Old Aug 1, 19, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaaindex.jsp?ARPT=sfo

Due to WEATHER / LOW CEILINGS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 46 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
Unusual to see long-hauls affected though, so I can't be sure if that's the reason or not.
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
United claims the flight was originally diverted due to medical assistance needed. Its likely that the flight from YEG was further delayed due to weather at SFO.
djmp likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
So they stopped for an hour in Edmonton and the total arrival delay in SFO was still only 1h 18min? That's pretty good ...
Old Aug 2, 19, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
The YEG-SFO segment now says medical assistance for a passenger for the reasoning.

Pretty cool though, I was at YEG this AM, would of loved to see a UA 77W land at my home airport!!
Old Aug 2, 19, 3:57 am

I was on UA 59. Diverted due to medical assistance.

Before the diversion, FAs asked if there were any doctors on board. It seemed 1 or 2 passengers self-identified themselves as physicians. For the next 20-30 minutes, FAs and doctors were wearing gloves walking to and from multiple lavatories in Y. Eventually a call was made to divert.

Landed at YEG runway 12, arrived at gate 80(?), then 4-5 paramedics came on board. They rolled out the pax on a dolly/stretcher and their family disembarked.

Spent 20-30 minutes refueling the plane, then we waited another 15 minutes for the pax to come back on board(?). Honestly I think the plane was waiting for SFO ATC clearance and it just so happened the pax was in stable condition to come back on board.

After takeoff, FAs said any pax with connecting flights have already been rebooked and could see it on the mobile app. In the end, we made it back to SFO only a couple hours late.

Overall, I'm impressed with how smoothly it all went.
Old Aug 2, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaaindex.jsp?ARPT=sfo

Unusual to see long-hauls affected though, so I can't be sure if that's the reason or not.
As a matter of scope, FAA traffic management initiatives, including ground stops and ground delays programs, apply only within North America. Departures from countries other than the US and Canada are not (except in very rare cases) subject to these programs.

However, Eurocontrol also has traffic management programs, which can be found at https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.in...pec/index.html

Last edited by RunningforMiles; Aug 2, 19 at 9:06 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 2, 19, 8:55 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
The GDP in effect yesterday (last revised at 1 pm PDT, average delay 106 min, applicable for ETAs up to 1 am PDT) had YEG included. However, the one slot that UA didn't use could have been substituted by a short haul flight and possibly this segment from YEG didn't have to be subjected to a delay as much as 106 min.
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Icydubloon View Post
I was on UA 59. Diverted due to medical assistance.

Before the diversion, FAs asked if there were any doctors on board. It seemed 1 or 2 passengers self-identified themselves as physicians. For the next 20-30 minutes, FAs and doctors were wearing gloves walking to and from multiple lavatories in Y. Eventually a call was made to divert.

Landed at YEG runway 12, arrived at gate 80(?), then 4-5 paramedics came on board. They rolled out the pax on a dolly/stretcher and their family disembarked.

Spent 20-30 minutes refueling the plane, then we waited another 15 minutes for the pax to come back on board(?). Honestly I think the plane was waiting for SFO ATC clearance and it just so happened the pax was in stable condition to come back on board.

After takeoff, FAs said any pax with connecting flights have already been rebooked and could see it on the mobile app. In the end, we made it back to SFO only a couple hours late.

Overall, I'm impressed with how smoothly it all went.
Thanks for the GREAT account of what went on!
Old Aug 2, 19, 1:36 pm

I'm surprised they let the pax on ~1 hour after they diverted. Seems the risk of a second diversion would be high.
nancypants and chavala like this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 3:40 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
I'm surprised they let the pax on ~1 hour after they diverted. Seems the risk of a second diversion would be high.
Yeah, something doesnt seem to add up?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without reviewing the passenger's medical records, how would anyone here know?

Medical diversions often occur so that medical personnel on the ground can rule out some serious condition. Once that condition is ruled out, no reason for the passenger not to board.
Old Aug 2, 19, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Medical diversions often occur so that medical personnel on the ground can rule out some serious condition. Once that condition is ruled out, no reason for the passenger not to board.
I don't know anything about the passenger's medical records and I'm not speculating about them; rather, I'm surprised that UA doesn't have a blanket policy against re-boarding pax that were the cause of the diversion. Seems like the kind of CYA policy many corporations have.

To move more into speculation, 35 minutes with EMS compared to 20-30 minutes in the air with two physicians, MedLink ground team, and the in-flight medical kit just seems like awfully fast to rule out whatever caused them to decide to divert.

Anyhow, glad it sounds like everyone is ok and that the flight was only moderately delayed.
nancypants and kilo like this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RunningforMiles View Post
As a matter of scope, FAA traffic management initiatives, including ground stops and ground delays programs, apply only within North America. Departures from countries other than the US and Canada are not (except in very rare cases) subject to these programs.
And diverted flights are often exempt (at least via the beg-line).
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

I have doubts. If the passenger had chest pain, it's going to take longer than that to get blood work or whatever they do.

My guess is that the passenger had an asthma attack but insisted on continuing and the asthma attack subsided with oxygen or whatever. Another guess is that the patient had diarrhea and/or stomach pain but it got better and he/she wanted back. With it getting better, appendicitis was not likely. Or the patient had an anxiety attack that got better.

But these are all guess supported with Doctor Google, not a real ER doctor.

Search this Thread