Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tight Connection in HKG - Denied Boarding Because Bags Misconnect

Tight Connection in HKG - Denied Boarding Because Bags Misconnect

Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder how many pax have been denied boarding because they got so caught up in reading FT that they lost track of time and missed the cut off?
Seriously! Especially on this long layover, I completely lost track of time. BUT I made sure I got to the gate by T30 ; )
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Can you clarify what you mean by "and then reported out the original baggage point that they couldn't board her because of her baggage wasn't making it"? Her bags were still stuck at her point of origin?

This new information seems to dispel some of the conjecture from earlier in this thread regarding "flight closed" and "the 'no baggage' excuse was a pretext."
So her original 3 hour connection was shortened to 40 minutes by the KA delay. My second-hand understanding is that the baggage had arrived in HKG but wasn't going to make the EWR flight because of the delay.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OhioExile
So her original 3 hour connection was shortened to 40 minutes by the KA delay. My second-hand understanding is that the baggage had arrived in HKG but wasn't going to make the EWR flight because of the delay.
This is strange, but it sounds like the GA's tried to get her on the flights (scanned the BP and all). So, it was some sort of information in the computer. How would the computer know that the bag wouldn't make it (since it was coming from a different airline)? This is baffling! Hopefully, someone on FT will be able to unravel the mystery...
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The GAs likely concluded based on the reported KA delay that she wasn't going to make it and offloaded her on that basis. This is not uncommon when a connecting flight is delayed; ordinarily, however, they offload the "delayed" pax so they can give the seat to a waitlisted pax.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
The GAs likely concluded based on the reported KA delay that she wasn't going to make it and offloaded her on that basis.
Apparently it had to do with the luggage, as the pax made it to the gate according to this:

... When she arrived, the gate was open and they scanned her boarding pass to let her board. They told her her ticket was "flagged", they checked the flag, and then reported out the original baggage point that they couldn't board her because of her baggage wasn't making it.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
Apparently it had to do with the luggage
Yeah I'm not buying.

There's a reason we have the term MOLA specific to the UA forum "New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
MSPeconomist and narvik like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 1, 2019 at 5:27 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:23 pm

Yeah I'm not buying.
Oh, okay.
Certainly difficult to discern exactly what happened with the information provided.

So the GA offloaded pax before pax actually made it to the still open gate and then came up with the luggage-thing as an excuse?
Had to lookup MOLA: lol ^
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:31 pm

Oh, okay.
So the GA offloaded pax before pax actually made it to the still open gate and then came up with the luggage-thing as an excuse?
Who knows. But the gate for this flight would be worked by a team of agents. Nor would I find it implausible that the agent just made up a reason rather than admitting "we didn't think you would make it and couldn't be bothered to wait and see."
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:34 pm

Who knows. But the gate for this flight would be worked by a team of agents. Nor would I find it implausible that the agent just made up a reason rather than admitting "we didn't think you would make it and couldn't be bothered to wait and see."
Once offloaded, the GA couldn't simply "undo" the offloading on the spot and let the pax board, I assume? There were empty seats and the gate was still open, but I guess it doesn't work like that?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:00 pm

Once offloaded, the GA couldn't simply "undo" the offloading on the spot and let the pax board, I assume? There were empty seats and the gate was still open, but I guess it doesn't work like that?
I believe they could reinstate the reservation.

We may never know the full story here.
narvik and OhioExile like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Ok - so my friend has landed at LAX and is entertained about being the subject of this thread. She also has a new piece of information: When she arrived, the gate was open and they scanned her boarding pass to let her board. They told her her ticket was "flagged", they checked the flag, and then reported out the original baggage point that they couldn't board her because of her baggage wasn't making it.
Well, I stand corrected then. I'm very surprised at this turn of events, and I'm sure I'm not the only one around here to have never heard of such a thing. This one really is a mystery.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This must be HKG specific and maybe new too.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
I believe that the computer system can detect delayed connection which falls below MCT - 40 minutes is below MCT of HKG airport so the passenger is offloaded, but if the passenger can make it on time before gate close can't the agent manually undo the offloading?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miklcct
I believe that the computer system can detect delayed connection which falls below MCT - 40 minutes is below MCT of HKG airport so the passenger is offloaded, but if the passenger can make it on time before gate close can't the agent manually undo the offloading?
MCT doesn't apply once the flights are underway. Yes, an offloading can be undone manually.

It sounds like there's more to the story here. It could be that there's some HK or pan-Chinese law that prevents customers from being separated from their bags under any circumstance, but if there is, I've never heard of it (and I looked) -- and I've had a missing bag on arrival at HKG. I suspect until / unless the OP's friend writes in and gets a clearer explanation from UA -- or until a UA gate agent who's aware of any such policy chimes in -- we probably won't know.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
It has been some time since this thread opened and at the last posing of the OP, the subject is apparently stuck in LAX, much like Charlie on the MTA. For those of us who are not Agatha Christie fans and do not love a mystery, will the OP please fill us in on the resolution of this aviator’s soap opera. Did the friend make it to her destination? Was she reunited with her bags? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.