Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-EWR, forced to move from exit aisle E+ to middle for off-duty UA employee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-EWR, forced to move from exit aisle E+ to middle for off-duty UA employee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Senior FA in the family makes it her mission to accommodate friends and co workers on her flights, and she expects the same when she is traveling non rev. Needless to say, she is a bad apple. Everytime I hear of complaints on FT, I take a peek at her FB posts to see if by chance this was her flight that she was working. She posts about pretty much every trip, so it's pretty easy to figure out what flights she is likely on. Not that it matters, but she is PMCO and to this day she does nothing but complain about PMUA. It's so obnoxious that I have to drink a little extra at family events to avoid confrontations with her. Her brother and I can only laugh about it, as she is very stubborn.

So if you see a non rev being incredibly demanding with the GA or the FA's once on board, that is likely her. If you think your FA is rude on your international flight, it is likely her... If the Devil by chance got a divorce in the past, she might possibly be his ex wife.
Sounds like a real gem!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:52 am

@Vangrovsky

Was this yesterday's flight? If so, I'm not seeing any NRSA seated in the economy cabin. Same for the prior flight as well (july 30th).

If this is another day, please feel free to provide me the flt date and we can look into it
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by runner450
@Vangrovsky

Was this yesterday's flight? If so, I'm not seeing any NRSA seated in the economy cabin. Same for the prior flight as well (july 30th).

If this is another day, please feel free to provide me the flt date and we can look into it
Yup. I’m not an expert in NRSA travel, but according to the seat maps on the app 7/31 went out with 22 seats free in J and one in E+ (34C). Wouldn’t NRSAs get available J seats? And on 7/30 there were 7 untaken J, 14 untaken P+, and 12 untaken E+ including exit row 45BC.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Yup. I’m not an expert in NRSA travel, but according to the seat maps on the app 7/31 went out with 22 seats free in J and one in E+ (34C). Wouldn’t NRSAs get available J seats?
An NRSA would have to pay more to list for J. Then again, if you're dealing with a FA who would inconvenience a passenger to the degree that OP is reporting, I suspect they'd just have moved that passenger to J on their own.

The focus on NRSA is really misplaced, though. Moving somebody from the exit row to the middle of a four-seat section, just to improve your friend's seat, isn't OK, whether the other passenger paid for their ticket or not.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I got my reply from UA. It was pretty much as I had expected.... a canned response... they offered me 6,000 for my "inconvenience"

Next time I'm not going to agree to seat changes, even if the flight attendant threatens to sit herself on my lap for the entire 14-hour flight
Please escalate this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I was flying from HKG to EWR on a 777 on UA. I have pre-selected the emergency exit aisle E+ seat((the three on the right) when I bought my ticket 6 months ago. It was free because I have Platinum status on UA. I'm somewhat tall at 6'4" so I never book a flight unless I see that an exit row seat is open.

Anyway..... I boarded the flight and sat in the correct seat. the flight was 100% full in all three classes.(business, premium plus, economy) About 10 minutes before the door was closing, a flight attendant came up to me and asked me nicely to move to a middle seat in the back. The flight attendant said the "older" gentleman needed to sit there because he "wasn't feeling okay sitting in the back"...

"older" as in late 50s.... I just turned 50 myself.

Being dumb and a somewhat nice guy, I complied. It was awful being stuck in the middle of the 4-seat in he very back of the 777. Just imagine a 6'4" man who had his knees up against the seatback in front for 13.5 hours.

During the flight, when I walked past my original exit aisle seat, I noticed that the flight attendants were always chit-chatting with the "older" guy. Half way into the flight, I finally overheard them talking and it was clear that the guy was an off-duty UA employee coming home after vacation in Hong Kong. He only wanted to sit there in order to catch up with the crew. Sounded like he was an airport supervisor or something.

Am I wrong for thinking that I was basically robbed? Do I have any recourse if I complain to UA? I've never complained to airlines, other than for lost baggage, so I don't even know what to tell them....

I would like to thank and apologize to anyone who took to the time for this very long post.

Jo Vangrovsky
I would have complained right then and there. Yes, complain to the airline. That said. I would not have given up an exit row aisle, especially for a middle row standard seat, and I am only 5'7.
Additionally, some people pay extra for those seats, why would you accept an airline employee asking you to downgrade a premium seat to give to a passenger who was in a standard seat, for no compensation?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

5 NRSA upgrades on today’s LAX-OGG 752. One of them was asked multiple people in back rows to switch seats. I don’t want to be put in a position to say “no”, but I was put in that position. It is annoying. I picked seat for a reason. It was last aisle seat available that wasn’t last row.
After sleeping on it, I decided to write in a complaint. I wouldn't have been put in the position to say no to a seat change request if the NRSA traveler had been adhering to the rules.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
You are correct there, regardless of what UA employees claim. They can take precedence over customers.

Did you ever fly with an FA who you said no to for this request? It had better be a 30 minute flight, or can be uncomfortable.
I've flown with GAs and passengers who I refused, but not FAs - the passengers gave me the sourface treatment, the GAs seemed to be oblivious, but when I've asked a couple times for seat swaps and been refused, we just sucked it up and moved on without any ill feelings. It's really not that big of a deal.

The OP should have confronted that whole group inflight, tried to get at least one name, and told them to their faces they would be reported and likely will kiss their NRSA privileges goodbye.
BearX220 and Franky16 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
After sleeping on it, I decided to write in a complaint. I wouldn't have been put in the position to say no to a seat change request if the NRSA traveler had been adhering to the rules.
What was the reason given?

Was it as blatant as "You've got a better seat than I do, and I want YOURS!"? (or similar)
Or was it "just" "Would you mind changing seats with me?" with no explanation?
Or was there a real or faux excuse, such as "Both of my femurs are broken, and I haven't had time for surgery given my holiday/vacation schedule, so would you change seats so I can be closer to X?"

Grrrrr.

GC
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've flown with GAs and passengers who I refused, but not FAs - the passengers gave me the sourface treatment, the GAs seemed to be oblivious, but when I've asked a couple times for seat swaps and been refused, we just sucked it up and moved on without any ill feelings. It's really not that big of a deal.

The OP should have confronted that whole group inflight, tried to get at least one name, and told them to their faces they would be reported and likely will kiss their NRSA privileges goodbye.
Then the guilty FA relatiates by claiming that the OP is a security threat and it doesn't end well. A complaint from someone who has already been labeled to be a problem customer won't be treated seriously.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I know how you feel. I had an experience on a NRT flight in business where the passenger in the window seat next to me said she worked for United and wanted to know if I would trade for the middle seat her relative had. She even said to me she already checked with the GA who told her I am GS so she absolutely should not ask me directly, but said I look like a nice person so decided to ask anyway. I smiled and said I need to decline to show you that looks can deceive, but in actuality I only choose aisle seats so I can stretch my legs easily and not bother anyone. To my surprise she took it well and continued to talk to me, she was flying back to GUM where she is based. I did tell her she should pay attention to the company's rules so that she does not lose her travel privileges and she agreed that that would be a good idea. I did not have the heart to contemplate filing a complaint later. If she had not taken my refusal well, I probably would have considered it.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by uanj
I know how you feel. I had an experience on a NRT flight in business where the passenger in the window seat next to me said she worked for United and wanted to know if I would trade for the middle seat her relative had. She even said to me she already checked with the GA who told her I am GS so she absolutely should not ask me directly, but said I look like a nice person so decided to ask anyway. I smiled and said I need to decline to show you that looks can deceive, but in actuality I only choose aisle seats so I can stretch my legs easily and not bother anyone. To my surprise she took it well and continued to talk to me, she was flying back to GUM where she is based. I did tell her she should pay attention to the company's rules so that she does not lose her travel privileges and she agreed that that would be a good idea. I did not have the heart to contemplate filing a complaint later. If she had not taken my refusal well, I probably would have considered it.
I wonder whether she says the same thing on every nonrev flight she takes.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
What was the reason given?...
It shouldn't matter - travelling on an employee perk, they're supposed to take the seats given to them. She shouldn't have imposed her desire to re-arrange the cabin to her liking. She wanted to seat her party of 4 in the same row. They were scattered in the cabin since they got the last seats. This is commonest situation among upgraders who want to move, both revenue and non-rev. The last seats are scattered and they just want to sit together. I usually travel single, so I'm usually amenable to moving if seat not worse.

I don't mind other (revenue) passengers asking to change seats. Sometimes I oblige, sometimes not. As long as seat is better (or not worse) I'll usually exchange. If I find some presumptuous idiot has plopped their behind in my seat who asks "do you mind sitting over there?", my answer is almost always "yes, I do mind". As they leave I usually say, "I would have given you the seat if you asked first". Hopefully that helps them in future seat swap requests.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 1, 2019 at 12:43 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
It shouldn't matter - travelling on an employee perk, they're supposed to take the seats given to them. She shouldn't have imposed her desire to re-arrange the cabin to her liking. She wanted to seat her party of 4 in the same row. They were scattered in the cabin since they got the last seats.

I don't mind other (revenue) passengers asking to change seats. Sometimes I oblige, sometimes not. As long as seat is better (or not worse) I'll usually exchange. If I find some presumptuous idiot has plopped their behind in my seat who asks "do you mind sitting over there?", my answer is almost always "yes, I do mind". As they leave I usually say, "I would have given you the seat if you asked first". Hopefully that helps them in future seat swap requests.
Oh, I understand it doesn't matter, that it's not allowed no matter.
But I was just curious about HOW they decided to phrase it, to try to make it sound normal/justified, etc.
That is, given the sense of entitlement, did they then defer with a polite/sensible request, or also barge right in with ridiculous "demand" type of, well, "request".

GC
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
...That is, given the sense of entitlement, did they then defer with a polite/sensible request, or also barge right in with ridiculous "demand" type of, well, "request".GC
Again. it doesn't matter. They SHOULD NOT BE ASKING AT ALL. Whether or not they asked politely (which they did) or not, I still was put in the position to deny a seat change which made me feel bad (not as bad as sitting in front of the lav, which is where I would have ended up). I'm not sure why you think asking politely negates the rule or make any difference relative to the rule...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.