Forcing a specific fare basis on UA.com?

Old May 1, 2024, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Can you give a sample search?

If all flights are operated by UA, it should. It gets weird with partner flights.
I think my post was a false alarm, sorry! When your request prompted me to re-do the search just now, I think what I did last night was select the "Economy" column (assuming that was giving me the W fare) and didn't scroll over far enough to see the "Requested Fare" column. Oops.
econ, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:37 pm

Recently, searching for "W" fare in order to apply 40PP upgrade rather than 80 for HKG-SFO roundtrip, the site gave me a Basic Economy ticket in W booking class. I found out only after the purchase but thanks to the 24-hour free cancellation I was able to cancel. This is the first time I encounter this. An example is like this:

City pair Fare class Fare basis code
HKG - SFO W WLWNNJBI
SFO - HKG V VLWNNJBI
Old May 2, 2024, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747SP
Recently, searching for "W" fare in order to apply 40PP upgrade rather than 80 for HKG-SFO roundtrip, the site gave me a Basic Economy ticket in W booking class. I found out only after the purchase but thanks to the 24-hour free cancellation I was able to cancel. This is the first time I encounter this. An example is like this:

City pair Fare class Fare basis code
HKG - SFO W WLWNNJBI
SFO - HKG V VLWNNJBI
All carriers use dual-inventory fares for their Basic Economy fares. The first letter of the fare basis code is always an regular Economy class, but is not the actually booking class for BE fares (which is always N on UA). BE fares can be readily identified because the second to last letter of the fare basis code is a 'B'. Dual-inventory fares lets airlines have a broad range a fare filings despite have only a single booking class. It allows them to have a separate BE fare filing to go with each regular Economy fare filing. Which BE fare you get to purchase depends on inventory availability in the Economy class corresponding to the first letter of the fare basis code (along with meeting the fare rule requirements which are generally duplicated from the corresponding Economy fares). Dual inventory fares are also used for domestic FC fares (which have multiple booking classes, but still have a coach class as first letter of fare basis code and which fare you get depends on inventory availability in both that coach class and the FC booking class of the fare).
Old May 2, 2024, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
BE fares can be readily identified because the second to last letter of the fare basis code is a 'B'.
Sadly, that's not universally true. AFAIK, they're still using -LGT for Europe.

Regardless, it's a huge problem for anybody trying to book W for the purpose of applying PlusPoints.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thanks for the explanation. While I understand the reason, and the site was technically correct returning me a "W" fare BE ticket when I searched for "W", this makes it much more difficult to book W in order to apply PP upgrade. In this case selecting the "Requested Fare Class" price gave me Basic Economy, while the normal "Economy" was in "K" or "S" which would require 80 PP. Another problem is that since I specified "W" in the search, the entire booking process did not gave me any warning or indication that this was a BE ticket. I learned to look for Fare basis code only after making the wrong booking the first time.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: United Gold
I cannot even get the "requested fare" column to show up. Looking at PIT-DXB in mid-July, and the DXB flights seem to be fairly open in PP and Polaris. Trying to force an O ticket. I can see the economy fare column, and it shows Q, but PP and Polaris show "mixed cabin", there is no "requested fare class" column.

By the way, other than waiting for the receipt, is there a way anywhere before purchasing to confirm the fare class (Q, O, J, etc)?

There's a "terms and conditions" section at the bottom around the payment page, with a "fare rules" link, but it leads to a "oops" page.
Old May 17, 2024, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hscottm
I cannot even get the "requested fare" column to show up. Looking at PIT-DXB in mid-July, and the DXB flights seem to be fairly open in PP and Polaris. Trying to force an O ticket. I can see the economy fare column, and it shows Q, but PP and Polaris show "mixed cabin", there is no "requested fare class" column.

By the way, other than waiting for the receipt, is there a way anywhere before purchasing to confirm the fare class (Q, O, J, etc)?

There's a "terms and conditions" section at the bottom around the payment page, with a "fare rules" link, but it leads to a "oops" page.
I'd be surprised if "requested fare class" would work for PIT-DXB because there is no flight with an O cabin on PIT-EWR. If it's showing you a Q fare on PIT-EWR, it is breaking the fare at EWR, so multi-city search might be successful, although I'm not seeing good results with it (the requested fare class column is missing for me as well).

If you really want an O fare, you can get one by calling. Note that the R fare is about $2000 RT and the O fare is about $6000.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 1:32 pm

Programs: United Gold
Duh, thanks for the reminder [MENTION=8598]jsloan[/MENTION]! Been a while since I had to do something complicated.
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.