Old Jul 30, 19, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Part of United history: Continental MD-88

In all its '93 livery glory...with a redesigned interior:

Lawyerneering likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Long live Continental!

(And those seats look awfully familiar.... could be the 2019 737-800's :-)
Old Jul 30, 19, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Nah, those seats have far too much padding to be "modern" UA aircraft.
Old Jul 30, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS DL
I thought that DL had the MD-88 but CO had MD-82's.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
I thought that DL had the MD-88 but CO had MD-82's.
Yup...CO operated mostly the -82, with a smattering of -80 and -83s mixed in. No -88s for the operation.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
sign me up for some smokes and martinis.
iapetus, Bradhattan and Fly4SCUBA like this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 8:30 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Useless Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
I hope the interior shot wasn't a Co-issued marketing photo. Those seats look worn and unkempt. Are those bean bags for headrests?
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
I hope the interior shot wasn't a Co-issued marketing photo. Those seats look worn and unkempt. Are those bean bags for headrests?
. They remind me of my 20-year-old sofa.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
They were like pillows... I remember them well on 757s, 737s and Mad Dogs in the 90s. A vestige of a bygone era where seats actually had padding (although I don't know if they necessarily met current fire-retardant standards)!
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
Vintage! Love it.
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Those were the F seats when it was in a 16F configuration, and were the same seats that were on initial 757s, 735s, and refurb'd 733s. Didn't care for them that much, mainly because it was a somewhat ugly seat design and was kind of uncomfortable because when reclined, the middle armrest of the seat pairs was short so there was a gap of space between the end of the armrest and the seat itself.

Eventually the M80s got a new seat design and dropped a row of seats on the starboard side and went to 14F with a closet. The seat itself was thinner and had a moveable headrest; if anyone was familiar with TWA's M80s, they used the same seat. Eventually the 757s, 733s, 735s got the Koito seats in F (733s went from 10F to 12F, dropping a closet and matching the 73G seat count); these were the big bulky F seats that were on all new deliveries up until a new F seat was introduced on the 739ERs. I can try and dig up some pics.

I very much enjoyed flying CO's M80s and was sad to see them go, although compared to AA or DL, CO didn't invest much into updating the interiors; they were clean and comfortable for sure, but lacked the larger overhead bins, modernized PSUs/sidewalls, etc.
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post
I very much enjoyed flying CO's M80s and was sad to see them go, although compared to AA or DL, CO didn't invest much into updating the interiors; they were clean and comfortable for sure, but lacked the larger overhead bins, modernized PSUs/sidewalls, etc.
Hard to believe they were retired 15 years ago this fall.
Old Jul 31, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Hard to believe they were retired 15 years ago this fall.
Guess I didn't think to do the math; the only advantage to them being retired were that the 738s/739s that replaced them had IFE. I'm definitely not looking forward to the day when DC/MD T-tails are no longer in the sky, but have managed to snag a seat on the last AA Super80 flight out of STL in September; while its not exactly the last flight for AA, it holds some significance to me that it will close out the history of some physical TWA presence still at STL. I was at Lambert for the very last actual TWA flight before the AA changeover, and I'll be there on the last MD80 flight for AA.
EWR764 and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum.
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post
Guess I didn't think to do the math; the only advantage to them being retired were that the 738s/739s that replaced them had IFE. I'm definitely not looking forward to the day when DC/MD T-tails are no longer in the sky, but have managed to snag a seat on the last AA Super80 flight out of STL in September; while its not exactly the last flight for AA, it holds some significance to me that it will close out the history of some physical TWA presence still at STL. I was at Lambert for the very last actual TWA flight before the AA changeover, and I'll be there on the last MD80 flight for AA.
I still very much miss TWA. It was their "Youth Travel Pack" that brought me into this whole travel lifestyle in the first place.
AirlineLoop likes this.

Search this Thread