Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Third world problem - no gasper valves (overhead air vents) on some aircraft, why?

Third world problem - no gasper valves (overhead air vents) on some aircraft, why?

Old Jul 30, 19, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador

I just flew in "Polaris" on a 777-200 with another "enhancement" --- no gasper valves at the seats. Amazing. Years ago, when I worked for the Boeing company, I ran across the no-gasper option in the config database. Asking around, I found this was requested by a very small number of second-rate, 3rd world airlines for massive cattle-car flights (e.g. ultra-cheap Haj trips from SE Asia). Apparently, United is doing its best to bring 3rd world conditions to 1st world aviation.
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
... Apparently, United is doing its best to bring 3rd world conditions to 1st world aviation.
Was this a previous pmCO 772, 2-2-2 config? These were ordered that way years ago and discussion on FT suggest it is not easy to retrofit.
From United Airlines Fleet Updates [2019 Edition]
Originally Posted by maxt775 View Post
Flew exCO 772 w/ Polaris retrofit. No air nozzles.
More discussion in that thread and
77Y (pmCO 772) starting to get Polaris retrofitted...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 19 at 12:45 am Reason: 772 thread link
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
I just flew in "Polaris" on a 777-200 with another "enhancement" --- no gasper valves at the seats. Amazing. Years ago, when I worked for the Boeing company, I ran across the no-gasper option in the config database. Asking around, I found this was requested by a very small number of second-rate, 3rd world airlines for massive cattle-car flights (e.g. ultra-cheap Haj trips from SE Asia). Apparently, United is doing its best to bring 3rd world conditions to 1st world aviation.
You'll be surprised to know that CX and SQ don't offer vents on some of their aircraft either (among other first rate airlines).
writerguyfl and Kannai like this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:53 am

Haha, I see you haven't flown Japanese airlines. If United were first-world they'd be "zeroth world". But they do not have those air vents.
Speaking of which, isn't flying United cattle-class?
higher_flyer and Kannai like this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 3:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks View Post
You'll be surprised to know that CX and SQ don't offer vents on some of their aircraft either (among other first rate airlines).
So they are just as anti-passenger comfort as pmCO was.
LASUA1K, gengar and am1108 like this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Was this a previous pmCO 772, 2-2-2 config? ...
I think so. I never saw one of these in the original seat configuration, so I'm not sure. The gasper system integrates with some other systems on the plane so it would be a really big deal to add a gasper system to an existing plane that lacked one.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 8:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I just flew in "Polaris" on a 777-200 with another "enhancement" --- no gasper valves at the seats.
Less an "enhancement" than a "never-was". Pre-merger CO 777s and 764s were not equipped with gaspers and the retrofit is a massive undertaking... not happening. Same for the 3 ex-HA 763s (76L). Fortunately, all post-merger widebody new deliveries have come with gaspers.

You might also be surprised (as I was) to know that Lufthansa and Swiss are two such "second rate", third-world" airlines that have declined the gasper option on new deliveries (A330/A380/350/748/77W).
rmadisonwi, narvik, Kannai and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1P
I don't really care one way or another, but I'm curious - what's the advantage for the airline to not add this system? Just price?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
I don't really care one way or another, but I'm curious - what's the advantage for the airline to not add this system? Just price?
Initial cost, weight, complexity, maintenance expense. None of these are particularly significant, dealbreaker items, though. It's mostly a passenger comfort thing, although they can improve circulation of air throughout the cabin, especially in demanding ground environments.
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
This remains my most flown plane, and I have never considered it missing gaspers.
Maybe I just got used to them not being there, or maybe they have a better air-flow management than other planes?
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, Amtrak, VIA
Flew on an America West HP 737 once without this feature. Thought it was kind of cheap. Daze
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I think so. I never saw one of these in the original seat configuration, so I'm not sure. The gasper system integrates with some other systems on the plane so it would be a really big deal to add a gasper system to an existing plane that lacked one.
I've been told by UA employees this is a "feature" of some of the pmCO birds. Unfortunately a lot of planes I've been on with Asian carriers don't have the individual air vents. Did not know they are called gaspers, cool name!
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
All these years and I've never heard the term "gasper valve" always "air nozzle." ANA - nope, not on the LOT 787s (and they like their plane a little warm.)

I've long wished this information was included on SeatGuru - is there any website that does show this?

In terms of this being a "first world problem". For me, it's a sort of critical piece of information. With air flowing I can endure almost everything including a middle seat in E-. Without a flow of air I have a very hard time.
AeRoSpaceman and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I can vouch for them being missing on my recent LH J flight... although judging by the seats, that plane had been around a while.
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
This is one of my biggest pet peeves especially flying BR J all the time. Also amazing flying NH F on the 77W and no air vents. I bring a portable USB fan with me on these flights. Guess I need to be careful of the UA config if I ever fly them again TPAC/TATL!

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Haha, I see you haven't flown Japanese airlines. If United were first-world they'd be "zeroth world". But they do not have those air vents.
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
All these years and I've never heard the term "gasper valve" always "air nozzle." ANA - nope, not on the LOT 787s (and they like their plane a little warm.)
Actually, NH has them on the regional 788s, amazingly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: