Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best First Class experience from mainland to Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best First Class experience from mainland to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Austin787
Honestly, United isn't your best option for lie flat seat to HNL. I'd look at AA via DFW or DL via ATL. Both AA and DL fly 1-2-1 config on their longest Hawaii routes, which are superior to anything UA flies to Hawaii.
Depends on what DL's flying that day. I'm not sure the 767 is any better than UA's product. The 330 definitely is.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Depends on what DL's flying that day. I'm not sure the 767 is any better than UA's product. The 330 definitely is.
DL's 767 is hands down the worst J seats operating in the skies. Absolutely HATE them. The 'all aisle access' is completely overwhelmed by the complete lack of privacy and the fact that the row behind you is literally staring at the back of your head.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787

But if you absolutely need to fly United, connecting in EWR would give the best lie flat option (2-1-2 config). Both ORD and IAH have the 2-4-2 config to HNL, but IAH is more likely to be on time.
In terms of comfort, I'll take the 777-200 2-4-2 setup over the 767-400 small footwell seats. I've never been comfortable in the 767-400 seats - and sleep well in the 777-200 seats. If I'm already in NYC, I'll always opt for the nonstop out of EWR, but definitely don't think the seat is very comfortable.
cricketer, MatthewLAX and tcdtcd like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Monday - Friday (especially Friday) that is about the worst time to arrive in HNL if staying in Waikiki. You will start your vacation in a frustratingly long commute in bumper to bumper traffic.

Wouldn't most traffic be heading in the other direction?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by thill
Wouldn't most traffic be heading in the other direction?
Traffic jams in Honolulu are omni-directional.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and findark like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
In all honesty ORD, IAH, DEN are all going to be about the same to HNL on the 777 so just pick one. I would probably go with either ORD or IAH because that avoids the RJ flight MEM-DEN and both ORD/IAH have longer connection times. On the way back pick the one that has the times you like best.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Re FC on other airlines

DL seems to be using the 767 from ATL on most dates I check. Same for DTW and MSP.

If it's not a 330, would you still use DL instead of UA?

Another complication is that DL FC (on the wide-bodies) books up more quickly than UA 777s from ORD or IAH.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by findark
77G are all on non-ER birds and cannot fly EWR-HNL with pax - biggest it goes is 764.
I wonder if we'll ever see the 787s on this route instead of the 764. I'm 6'4 and have a hard time getting comfortable in those seats.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cerps343
I wonder if we'll ever see the 787s on this route instead of the 764. I'm 6'4 and have a hard time getting comfortable in those seats.
Rumor has it that four of the 777-222ERs will get the 77G seat layout to enable EWR-HNL flying on that config and help out the weight-restricted ORD-OGG/HNL.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by thill
DL seems to be using the 767 from ATL on most dates I check. Same for DTW and MSP.

If it's not a 330, would you still use DL instead of UA?

Another complication is that DL FC (on the wide-bodies) books up more quickly than UA 777s from ORD or IAH.
I'll take a DL 767 over UA 777. But that's just me - other people have different preferences.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Rumor has it that four of the 777-222ERs will get the 77G seat layout to enable EWR-HNL flying on that config and help out the weight-restricted ORD-OGG/HNL.
There are a lot of IPTE seats in inventory. If only they added two more rows of this then it would be more reasonable.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Following my own advice as mentioned earlier, I booked first class DEN-SFO-OGG instead of the non stop DEN-OGG. I get in an hour earlier in time to have lunch and then head to Kapalua. The non stop had exactly 1 seat left, while den-sfo and sfo-ogg was basically wide open. This was booked last night for a flight this Sunday. Pointless for lay flat on the way. I'm awake, and in a festive mood.

Haven't decided when I'm coming home, but if I do what I normally do and take a red eye I will likely cave and pay whatever for the nonstop in first.

I think UA underestimated the demand with the high capacity 777 for domestic use as far as first class is concerned.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Aug 15, 2019 at 11:27 pm
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Agreed, I really don't care about what class I'm in or having a stop in between when I go home to HNL but on the return, I'm willing to pay for First and the extra 90-120 minutes of sleep time to go to DEN non-stop.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Living both DEN and KOA, I commute several times a year. Retired and traveling on my own dime has opened my eyes somewhat. United is DARN proud of the 752 lay-flats. The price is often 150% of the connections.

The Eastbound nonstop is enough time for a "little" sleep. However my sleep rythems do not allow a 5 hour redeye. So its Non-stop KOA-DEN ----OR--Go to HNL in the afternoon, spend the night in one of the 2 star hotels and get back in one day.

Westbound, I agree with COSPILOT--party time. Drink a lot of the two buck chuck wine.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Less Lie Flats to Hawaii

I've noticed more and more non-lie flat equipment come into Hawaii lately with 737s and 753s replacing 777 and 752s in the schedule. I've also seen UA sub in the Polaris 767 on the EWR-HNL route more often lately.

I especially miss the 752 KOA-LAX segment. Not only do these routes drop lie flats but WiFi too which makes the flying time less productive.

UA made headlines 2 or so years ago about the most flights and most lie flats but have they publically said anything else about service to the islands lately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.