stopover recommendations for RTW ticket

Old Jul 29, 19, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
stopover recommendations for RTW ticket

Going for a conference in Tokyo in October and then a meeting in Zurich the following week. I'm thinking of buying a RTW ticket. SFO-HND and ZRH-SFO are easy but I would love to fill the Asia to Europe with stopovers for a day or two. I was thinking of Seoul (I only go there for business so leisurely time may be worth my while), Istanbul, Zagreb (I would prefer Dubrovnik but that seems a trek)?
Should I ticket RTW on United or SFO-HND ZHR-SFO on United and take Asiana/Turkish/Lufthansa?
Old Jul 29, 19, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by MostlyUA View Post
Should I ticket RTW on United or SFO-HND ZHR-SFO on United and take Asiana/Turkish/Lufthansa?
Not sure how you plan to make a westward journey TYO-ZRH on United metal...I think this is the whole point of airline partnerships/alliances. The only non-stop is on LX.

Looking at one-stop options on *A from TYO-ZRH, it seems PEK [TWOV if your passport allows], BKK, IST, VIE, and WAW are the interesting options you might not connect through all the time (in addition to LRH/FRA etc).

Another interesting idea: Fly ET NRT-ADD, stopover, and then fly ADD to GVA or MUC and take rail to ZRH from there.
Old Jul 29, 19, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I was planning to do *Alliance RTW. Use Asiana, Turkish, Swiss, Lufthansa, SAS...
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
I was planning to do *Alliance RTW. Use Asiana, Turkish, Swiss, Lufthansa, SAS...
What class are you flying? An flight to get to DBV and whatnot isn't as bad if you're in C.

Chris
Old Jul 29, 19, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The RTW tickets are surprisingly expensive, and beware of surcharges for certain airlines / plane types. Also, you'll have to pay taxes and fees for each transfer, and the fare increases with the total mileage and number of stops.

The overall limit is on the number of transfers (15). If you mostly hit hub cities or large international airports, you won't have any problems, but if you're intent on visiting Harbin, Chiang Rai, and Bishkek, you may run out of transfers sooner than you'd expect.

Also, note that if you're near a mileage boundary, the fare is the same for a trip that terminates at BOS or NYC as it is for one that terminates back at SFO. So, it may be cheaper to book SFO-TYO-(stops)-ZRH-BOS / BOS-SFO as two separate tickets.

As for where to go, it mostly depends upon what you like to do.
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:31 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I often do an around the world trip in order to hit a 2 or three locations on a business trip. But as others have said, the true RTW fares are often not cost effective for a short (2-3 week), 4 stop trip.
Instead, I will book an open jaw - in this case it would be SFO-HND and ZRH-SFO. it make take a bit of fussing about to find city pairs that produce a good fare. But when it works, it's like magic. For example, I can often get SFO-SIN, LHF-SFO for well under $650 USD economy.
Then I fill in the space in-between - here it would be HND (or NRT, or KIX) to ZRH. And I look for ways to do that effectively.
For example, if you wanted to visit Vietnam (highly recommended), then you might also book an open jaw of TYO-HAN, HAN-ZRH (or MUC).
I usually fly cheap, so I book in economy, but I suspect there could be some bargains in a biz booking as well.
In this way, the asia link does not need to be *Alliance, and gives you more flexibility.
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tvhead View Post
I often do an around the world trip in order to hit a 2 or three locations on a business trip. But as others have said, the true RTW fares are often not cost effective for a short (2-3 week), 4 stop trip.
Instead, I will book an open jaw - in this case it would be SFO-HND and ZRH-SFO. it make take a bit of fussing about to find city pairs that produce a good fare. But when it works, it's like magic. For example, I can often get SFO-SIN, LHF-SFO for well under $650 USD economy.
Then I fill in the space in-between - here it would be HND (or NRT, or KIX) to ZRH. And I look for ways to do that effectively.
For example, if you wanted to visit Vietnam (highly recommended), then you might also book an open jaw of TYO-HAN, HAN-ZRH (or MUC).
I usually fly cheap, so I book in economy, but I suspect there could be some bargains in a biz booking as well.
In this way, the asia link does not need to be *Alliance, and gives you more flexibility.
I like your idea. I don't plan to fly economy, but Seoul, Hanoi, Istanbul, and maybe Split are what I should be looking at.

Thank you to everybody with their great suggestions.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: