Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a fare break?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Is this a fare break?

EWR - SFO in P class
SFO - LAX in Y class

This was sold on the app and the website as a single ticket.

According to ITA Matrix, it's one fare: VAP30UPN

Pulled up fare routing on Expert Flyer (not sure if this helps at all):

So...

1. Is this itinerary considered a fare break? If it is, does this mean I can't SDC?
2. If the fare is VAP30UPN, is this a V class fare? If so, why are the ticketed segments P and Y?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
1. Is this itinerary considered a fare break? If it is, does this mean I can't SDC?
2. If the fare is VAP30UPN, is this a V class fare? If so, why are the ticketed segments P and Y?
1. If that's the fare you're actually on, there's no fare break. However, it can be challenging to SDC -- on the app, anyway -- when you're on two different booking designators (P and Y), fare break or otherwise.

2. It's not a V class fare. It's a P class fare. Do they happen to be running a one-cabin airplane from SFO to LAX that day?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jsloan

2. It's not a V class fare. It's a P class fare. Do they happen to be running a one-cabin airplane from SFO to LAX that day?
Okay that's what I thought until I read this thread and another thread. But it looks like they've come to the consensus that P-UPDI is still considered P.

The SFO-LAX flight has two cabins, but currently showing: J9 JN9 C6 D1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0. It's an A320.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay that's what I thought until I read this thread and another thread. But it looks like they've come to the consensus that P-UPDI is still considered P.

The SFO-LAX flight has two cabins, but currently showing: J9 JN9 C6 D1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0. It's an A320.
You should not have been able to buy the fare that you quoted on that flight, if that's the inventory you're seeing.

Are you sure about the fare? United is now listing fare rules in the itinerary details. What fare does it show there?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:45 pm

Ef booking class says

​FIRST CLASS SELL-UP OW NON-REF FARES P

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS
VIA UA Y PERMITTED WHEN PRIME NOT AVAILABLE AND
P PERMITTED
​​​​​​
U booked into P in first leg. And since second leg had no P (but should have Y), it dumped you into Y, and the entire ticket passed the booking code/rules checks
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Ef booking class says

U booked into P in first leg. And since second leg had no P (but should have Y), it dumped you into Y, and the entire ticket passed the booking code/rules checks
I've never seen the website do this, except when the second flight didn't have an F cabin. Otherwise, it tends to use married inventory, and it wouldn't have sold the P at all. It would have kicked the whole flight up to a higher fare.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Is this what @paperwastage was referring to?

Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by jsloan
I've never seen the website do this, except when the second flight didn't have an F cabin. Otherwise, it tends to use married inventory, and it wouldn't have sold the P at all. It would have kicked the whole flight up to a higher fare.
This. It is a legal routing, etc., but it would be very unusual for united.com to offer it because of the way that married segment logic is implemented on united.com. Third party sites and travel agents would have a bit easier time booking it, and I suspect that Hipmunk could force it through on united.com too if you entered from there.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I dunno if this is a sign that the website has gotten smarter, because IMO it's certainly better to capture the sale right away rather than lose it over the lack of P on the much-shorter segment.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I dunno if this is a sign that the website has gotten smarter, because IMO it's certainly better to capture the sale right away rather than lose it over the lack of P on the much-shorter segment.
I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying. Methinks UA would much rather try to get someone to buy a c/d/j fare over z and p, which was probably available for a much higher cost.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying. Methinks UA would much rather try to get someone to buy a c/d/j fare over z and p, which was probably available for a much higher cost.
By this logic, united.com would only show J fares and never show P fares even if fares/inventory existed.

In general the website lists the cheapest option available given the search criteria, because United knows (some of) its customers are price-sensitive and they will sell more tickets if they show the cheaper price.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
i think this happens because there is zero business availability in any bucket for that leg (though not in OP's case)

so the engine picked the next available thing - one leg in business, one leg in economy. can even do EWR-SFO Y, SFO-LAX J. expensive ticket

you can see it on UA website, though there are big red words saying "mixed cabin" and its usually ranked below the other nonstop/non-mixed cabin itinerary

EWR-LAX (with 1 stop), 9/9 monday. EWR-IAH is on an airbus A319 as Y, IAH-LAX is on a 737-900 as P

Is this what @paperwastage was referring to?

usually it's NOT listed on the fare rules, but you can almost always see it in EF fare info (it's the third "C" icon" when you search for fare info)

Last edited by paperwastage; Jul 29, 2019 at 6:20 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
i think this happens because there is zero business availability in any bucket for that leg (though not in OP's case)
Sorry, yes, that's the other case I've seen it. I still can't explain why it would appear in the case the OP listed.

OP: If that is actually the fare you booked, and you find a knowledgeable agent who knows how to do it, you're eligible to waitlist for a P seat on the short leg. It may actually be worth your time to try to do that, because if the waitlist clears, it should make SDC more straightforward.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Is there a trick to finding a knowledgeable agent? Or should I just wait until P availability shows up on SFO-LAX and ask an agent if it’s possible to “waitlist” then?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a trick to finding a knowledgeable agent? Or should I just wait until P availability shows up on SFO-LAX and ask an agent if it’s possible to “waitlist” then?
Not really; just be polite and don't escalate, so you don't get a negative comment in your PNR, as you may need to HUCA a couple of times. I'd just say something like "I tried to buy a business class ticket, but it dumped me into economy on the last segment. I was wondering if I could waitlist in case space opens."

If P does open, don't ask about waitlisting -- just say "I have a P class ticket and I saw that P inventory opened up, so I was wondering if I could be placed into it."
sinoflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.