Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard "upgrade" on PS flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by tale
So age-old question comes to mind, who comes first rev or non rev preferential treatment for friends or family members
If this is your age-old question, do you have any reason to be confused as to why the young woman might have been defensive in answering your question?
jsloan, jhayes_1780 and tale like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
If I were #1 on the list and the GAs didn't process the upgrade until after the flight took off (i.e, didn't process it) I'd be somewhat annoyed too at having to move at that point, rather than while still on the ground. (Although I'd probably get over it quickly with a post-PDB.)
+1
This is precisely what happened to me a couple weeks back. It is annoying as no pre flight beverage, hassle getting your stuff packed back together, annoying your seat mates (I was unfortunately a window seat), and in my case arriving late enough that they had to come back to me and get my meal choice. Yeah I got over it but this isn't the first time that a late upgrade occurred, actually seems to be more frequent now.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

0The only reason this whole situation struck me as strange is that I was in a number of situations where I was on the upgrade list and my upgrade did not clear, however when I checked a seat map when the door was closing there were open seats. So age-old question comes to mind, who comes first rev or non rev preferential treatment for friends or family members
The chance that you've been on a large number of flights with friends or family of the gate agents is approximately zero.

United has 70K+ employees. They don't all know each other, and most of them aren't going to risk their jobs -- and, yes, that's what they're doing -- in order to give special treatment to some random person they've likely never met before, just because they share a company intranet.

If you find yourself at the top of the upgrade list, with empty seats, and you're not upgraded, ask -- or write in about it afterwards. Because, what does happen is that sometimes GAs are in a hurry to get the flight off and they forget / don't bother to clear the upgrade list once there have been a couple of no-shows.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
So age-old question comes to mind, who comes first rev or non rev preferential treatment for friends or family members
The answer is rev pax are ALWAYS "first". Travel with UA employee/family on occasion and I have never seen them bump a rev pax. In fact it is often the opposite that is true. I have literally been sitting with a NR pax awaiting push back when she was asked to leave as a late rev pax showed up and they needed to accommodate the rev pax. This scenario is actually not uncommon. For a GA to push a NRSA pax onto a flight prior to a rev pax is a big no no, don't know if they could loose there job but I'll let others reply to that who may have better knowledge as to how UA disciplines there employees.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I could not agree more, what has the world come to. This was not some creepy come on it was a single question. It was because I noticed that FA was coming to her exclusively, and even placed a fruit bowl at her seat while she was asleep, so I assumed that there was some connection between the two.

The only reason this whole situation struck me as strange is that I was in a number of situations where I was on the upgrade list and my upgrade did not clear, however when I checked a seat map when the door was closing there were open seats. So age-old question comes to mind, who comes first rev or non rev preferential treatment for friends or family members
Making an assumption of a family relationship between two people you don't know and then expressing that assumption to one of the people in a question is a gross violation of appropriate boundaries and is definitely creepy.
Miggles likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Creepy aside, it doesn't sound appropriate for a crew member to upgrade another customer in flight, especially if there is a personal relationship between them. I distinctly remember that such actions are prohibited, so for that reason alone, I would not have engaged with the other passenger once the FA came over to greet them, but I would have written it up with 1K voice after the fact. If the FA hadn't come over to speak with them, I probably would have reported them as a seat poacher, because that what this story sure sounds like if you take away the FA's interaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.