Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP, DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY, SMF, BNA, STL (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Also available at some NBA/NHL/MLB arenas for expedited entry.

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Just signed up. Interestingly I'll get more use out of it at airports I typically don't fly UA into. But I'll take a free perk from UA any day.
Kannai likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
I've had CLEAR for several years, and they've renewed me for $99 for the past three. I told them it did me no good at IAH since they had taken the kiosks out of the terminals I used (B, C and E), and I was only ever able to use it in at BWI and LAS (really comes in handy at both places, honestly!) They renewed my membership at that rate automatically the last two years; I haven't had to ask for it each time.
SO....when will we see those kiosks back at IAH B, C and E?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by narvik
If everyone and their dog is now signing up to CLEAR through United, won't that mean that the CLEAR lines will now increase and the TSA-pre lines will decrease?
Given that Delta has had this for years, I doubt it will increase lines much, because there is rarely a line to begin with.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS
I'm curious if CLEAR will be faster than the GS bypass lane at pre-check. The only thing that sometimes slows the GS line down is when the TSA ID checker takes people from the regular line first, but it's never more than a minute or two wait.
bluepig1 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Given that Delta has had this for years, I doubt it will increase lines much, because there is rarely a line to begin with.
At EWR I could see this working out differently. Who knows...
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by villox
I'm curious if CLEAR will be faster than the GS bypass lane at pre-check. The only thing that sometimes slows the GS line down is when the TSA ID checker takes people from the regular line first, but it's never more than a minute or two wait.
At SFO G I think it certainly would help especially ahead of the afternoon bank of TATLs. Using the GS lobby at the domestic terminal I think it’s a wash.

Has anyone tried using CLEAR with Hertz? I saw the scanner the last couple times I rented at LAX but not sure if it saves any time since you have to use the same exit gates as a regular person. Not sure if other car rental locations have a dedicated line.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Has anyone tried using CLEAR with Hertz? I saw the scanner the last couple times I rented at LAX but not sure if it saves any time since you have to use the same exit gates as a regular person. Not sure if other car rental locations have a dedicated line.
The only advantage I see is that you don't have to whip our your DL to show to a Hertz agent. As a person who keeps his wallet in a front pocket, I loathe having to take it out (and/or put it back in) while in a seated position, especially when hindered by a seatbelt.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS
Helpful tip: I used the link to add my Mileage Plus number to my existing CLEAR Basic Membership, and it said it was linked, but I was offered $129 upgrade pricing (which I got because I signed up via an email from Hertz). The Hertz pricing was overriding the United pricing. They have a support article that mentions Delta pricing taking precedence over Hertz, but I guess they hadn't yet updated their systems to use United?

I used the online web chat to speak to an agent (started off 17 in line, took about 10 minutes till i spoke with an agent), and this is what they told me:

"At this time, we would recommend allowing some time for your online membership to reflect your United pricing. Due to high customer volume, we are seeing some delays with the website today. If for any reason your pricing is not reflected online within 24 hours, please reach back out to CLEAR- Member Services"
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
At EWR I could see this working out differently. Who knows...
That's why I tried to think of a neutral location such as MCO or LAS in my head before I responded.

If non 1K's or GS members don't bother with the cost, it will be a non issue. I have plenty of friends and colleagues that refuse to pay for Global Entry or PreCheck out of pocket, now if the employer would pay that is a different story... All people that average 140 flights/year.

Now of course EWR, specifically Concourse A is a different animal. No idea how CLEAR would or even could help.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I'll keep my biometrics to myself, thank you very much.
Spiff, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I have plenty of friends and colleagues that refuse to pay for Global Entry or PreCheck out of pocket
I refuse to pay for Global Entry because it's half the benefits of Nexus at twice the cost.
Xyzzy, canadiancow and MTan like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I understand as a Plat that I'm not exactly the most elite here at UA, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little insulted that I'm put in the same category as credit card holders (who may never fly a mile), and have to pay pretty much the same as general members who might fly once a year.

I have flown with *A/UA solely for years (I can count on one hand the number of non *A flights I've taken the last 10 years), and have hundreds of thousands of UA miles. Why am I paying the same as a silver member, and only $10 less than a general member? Kind of a slap in the face.
1P, Flying Machine and Kannai like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by villox
During peak hours, this could be a downgrade for Pre-Check United fliers who don't want to shell out the money for CLEAR, since there will be more and more people skipping the line.
If everyone and their dog is now signing up to CLEAR through United, won't that mean that the CLEAR lines will now increase and the TSA-pre lines will decrease?
The Clear and Pre-Check lines usually merge into one, IME. Assuming there isn't a meaningful number of non-Pre people signing up (and just who would say "I don't have Pre but now I'll sign up for clear"?), the only difference is you'll have a shorter wait to get past the DL/BP checker in the Pre-line, and more people lining up at the eye-checker.

BTW, I assume that if one signs up through this offer you can use Clear on non-UA flights as well, yes?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I refuse to pay for Global Entry because it's half the benefits of Nexus at twice the cost.
LOL, I actually go the Nexus route as well, despite being Denver based and rarely visiting Canada.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Can one do the sign-up and do fingerprints only? not any other biometrics like eye/retina scanning?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.