Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 26, 19, 8:06 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
....
Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP. DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://my.clearme.com/CommunityLinkUnited

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 16, 20, 9:51 am
  #571  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 3,909
Somehow CLEAR dropped the link to my MP number, and this morning showed me "inactive." When I tried to re-link it on-line, I got an error. I called CLEAR customer service, and they acknowledged the bug and it had to be escalated. Unknown if this is a one-off, or a problem that might affect others.
hscottm likes this.
wxguy is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:36 pm
  #572  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: SFO/SJC,DAL/DFW
Programs: AS MVP gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
I noticed this as well on my last flight.
Though the past two times I used CLEAR, I question if it was actually faster at all. One time, I had to try several times for it to scan. The next time, it scanned but a random check popped up and I had to pull my ID out of my bag. Both times, there was zero TSA-pre line.
All things equal, I still rather not pull out my ID card. I feel like it increases the chance I'll lose it.
They do random checks to actually see if you have your ID?!? Guess that means I should start carrying my ID when I go through clear... good to know.
ItsAnAdam is online now  
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:07 pm
  #573  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: أمريكا
Posts: 25,441
Originally Posted by eng3
Though the past two times I used CLEAR, I question if it was actually faster at all. One time, I had to try several times for it to scan. The next time, it scanned but a random check popped up and I had to pull my ID out of my bag. Both times, there was zero TSA-pre line.

Even pre-COVID I found many times when the Clear line wasn't; any faster. But I prefer not to take out my ID as well.

Post-COVID I've had experiences where the pre-check line was closed, and without Clear I'd be stuck in the longer general line. Since there are few services at the airport these days I try to cut things even closer than normally, so having some comfort that I can get through security quickly is important.

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam View Post
They do random checks to actually see if you have your ID?!? Guess that means I should start carrying my ID when I go through clear... good to know.
Do you normally travel without ID? That seems risky. Or do you mean you have your ID, but's it's not immediately reachable?
Doppy is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:10 pm
  #574  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
I noticed this as well on my last flight.
Though the past two times I used CLEAR, I question if it was actually faster at all. One time, I had to try several times for it to scan. The next time, it scanned but a random check popped up and I had to pull my ID out of my bag. Both times, there was zero TSA-pre line.
All things equal, I still rather not pull out my ID card. I feel like it increases the chance I'll lose it.
I got the random ID check the other day at LGA so its still happening.
allseas1586 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:46 pm
  #575  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Silver, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Posts: 777
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam View Post
They do random checks to actually see if you have your ID?!? Guess that means I should start carrying my ID when I go through clear... good to know.
I'd suggest carrying your ID. Last week I went through Clear and my fingerprints didn't work, eyeballs didn't work, they had me try 3 different kiosks (I was the only person in the TSA area and had time to kill)... the agents said they had been having problems with the kiosks... anyhow at the end of it they said my biometrics were "weak" and needed to get resubmitted at a future date. I've been a Clear member since day 1 so maybe us "old folks" who submitted biometrics back then don't have the required quality now.
canadiancow likes this.
paule123 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 3:36 am
  #576  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 33,612
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post
I'd suggest carrying your ID. Last week I went through Clear and my fingerprints didn't work, eyeballs didn't work, they had me try 3 different kiosks (I was the only person in the TSA area and had time to kill)... the agents said they had been having problems with the kiosks... anyhow at the end of it they said my biometrics were "weak" and needed to get resubmitted at a future date. I've been a Clear member since day 1 so maybe us "old folks" who submitted biometrics back then don't have the required quality now.
I was furious with them for a while as it was inevitably 5+ minutes of trying before basically doing the normal thing (when the PreCheck line was almost empty), before someone finally suggested "re-enrolling" or something where they took the biometrics again.

It's been much better since, but still nowhere near as consistent as the fingerprints on GE machines or iris scan on (old) NEXUS machines.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:18 am
  #577  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Posts: 2,431
Clear worked well at MSY last week and was a life saver as running tight on time. Straight through to TSA-pre and good to go. I was the only person using Clear.

Clear this week at LAS was quick as again the only person, but TSA-pre was closed. (Informed it was open at the DL terminal which was not much good once I was in the UA terminal). So although Clear was quick and did not have to have the body screening machine my hand luggage was searched due to the laptop (even though it was taken out they wanted to swab it) and then I had a heavy textbook that needed to be searched and then the bottle of hand sanitizer given to me by the Clear person had to be checked.

So Clear is working great. I do not pay for it since I am 1K.

TSA-pre that I pay for is another issue. Fortunately I had lots of time in LAS so not an issue with the searching of my items by the agents.
Aussienarelle is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:19 am
  #578  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marriott Gold
Posts: 10,012
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Clear this week at LAS was quick as again the only person, but TSA-pre was closed. (Informed it was open at the DL terminal [1] which was not much good once I was in the UA terminal [3]).

* * * *

TSA-pre that I pay for is another issue. Fortunately I had lots of time in LAS so not an issue with the searching of my items by the agents.
If there were any way of finding out in advance that only the LAS Terminal 1 Pre-check is operating, or merely based upon this thread, it is as easy to get to the D Gates (where UA boards) from there as from Terminal 3 — provided one has no luggage to check-in. The kiosks at Terminal 1 work for all carriers to print a boarding pass, if needed. There is more public transit to Terminal 1 than Terminal 3, also.
iluv2fly likes this.
SPN Lifer is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 3:18 pm
  #579  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Posts: 3,513
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam View Post
They do random checks to actually see if you have your ID?!? Guess that means I should start carrying my ID when I go through clear... good to know.
Originally Posted by Doppy View Post
Even pre-COVID I found many times when the Clear line wasn't; any faster. But I prefer not to take out my ID as well.

Post-COVID I've had experiences where the pre-check line was closed, and without Clear I'd be stuck in the longer general line. Since there are few services at the airport these days I try to cut things even closer than normally, so having some comfort that I can get through security quickly is important....
Yes it is nice not having to take out your ID, I'm always afraid I'm going to accidentally drop it or lose it. That's why I usually show my Global Entry card as I don't care so much if I lose that.

The other day I flew out of SEA. UA goes out of A but the clear/pre-check checkpoint has been closed "due to covid". The next closest is CLEAR but not pre. The only PRE (and CLEAR) is in the middle of the airport. If I don't have a bag to check, I just have my ride drop me at the checkpoint, if I have to check a bag, I question if there is any time savings going half way across the airport and back. I guess it is nice to get a little exercise in prior to a long cross country flight though.
eng3 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 3:19 pm
  #580  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danville, CA, USA;
Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Posts: 12,663
My biggest complaint is that CLEAR and pre-check hours are too limited at IAH which often hits me arriving early from an overnight flight or departing at night. Doubt that has gotten better with the reduced volume of travelers.

The major benefit to CLEAR and pre-check is predictability. It loses a lot of value when you roll the dice on 5 minutes vs. 20+ minutes, not to mention the aggravation of the liquids and electronics nonsense.
Boraxo is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 7:36 pm
  #581  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 5,339
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
...and then I had a heavy textbook that needed to be searched...
Hate to ask, why did they have to search a textbook? Needed more references?

David
lincolnjkc likes this.
DELee is online now  
Old Sep 17, 20, 8:05 pm
  #582  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,292
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Hate to ask, why did they have to search a textbook? Needed more references?

David

narvik and bluedemon211 like this.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Sep 21, 20, 5:07 am
  #583  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Posts: 3,513
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Yes it is nice not having to take out your ID, I'm always afraid I'm going to accidentally drop it or lose it. That's why I usually show my Global Entry card as I don't care so much if I lose that.

The other day I flew out of SEA. UA goes out of A but the clear/pre-check checkpoint has been closed "due to covid". The next closest is CLEAR but not pre. The only PRE (and CLEAR) is in the middle of the airport. If I don't have a bag to check, I just have my ride drop me at the checkpoint, if I have to check a bag, I question if there is any time savings going half way across the airport and back. I guess it is nice to get a little exercise in prior to a long cross country flight though.
Also, when I went thru CLEAR at SEA, they gave me a little gift (fabric mask, small hand sanitizer bottle with a metal clip on it). I thought it was a nice touch. I've only seen it at SEA thus far. I'll be going thru ORD this weekend so I'll see if its nationwide or SEA only.
eng3 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 20, 5:44 am
  #584  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 273
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Also, when I went thru CLEAR at SEA, they gave me a little gift (fabric mask, small hand sanitizer bottle with a metal clip on it). I thought it was a nice touch. I've only seen it at SEA thus far. I'll be going thru ORD this weekend so I'll see if its nationwide or SEA only.
received the same at EWR
goodeats21 likes this.
Kleinnaf is offline  
Old Yesterday, 8:06 am
  #585  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Posts: 8,473
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Also, when I went thru CLEAR at SEA, they gave me a little gift (fabric mask, small hand sanitizer bottle with a metal clip on it). I thought it was a nice touch. I've only seen it at SEA thus far. I'll be going thru ORD this weekend so I'll see if its nationwide or SEA only.
IAH Terminal E CLEAR gave me the hand sanitizer bottle two weeks ago. They may have had masks but I didn't notice.

I've since used CLEAR at many other airports at not one of them has had any 'offerings' including DCA, STL, IAD, LAX.

-RM
RobOnLI is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: