Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines and CLEAR Partner to Make Travel Easier for MileagePlus® Members
MileagePlus members will receive free or discounted CLEAR memberships
CLEAR eyes expansion at major United airport hubs
https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

Pricing
Beginning today, CLEAR and United are offering free CLEAR membership for Global Services and Premier® 1K® members. In addition, Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members as well as most United credit card members receive a discounted membership rate of $109 while all other MileagePlus members are eligible for a discounted offer of $119 per year. An annual CLEAR membership retails for $179. To learn more and take advantage of this pricing, customers can visit clearme.com/united and united.com/clear.
Expansion
Present UA hubs with CLEAR -- DEN, EWR, IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD, IAH

Other present locations -- DFW, SEA, LAS, SLC, SAT, AUS, MIA, BWI, FLL, BHM, JFK, LGA, CVG, PHX, BOS, CLE, ATL, SJC, MSP, DTW, MCO, DCA, MSY, SMF, BNA, STL (Not all of these allow access to UA gates)

Also available at some NBA/NHL/MLB arenas for expedited entry.

Related thread: The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Link your United Account to an Existing Clear Account: https://www.clearme.com/partner-deta...nited-airlines

An ID is scanned during initial biometric registration. An individual's document (usually a driver's license) occasionally does not scan correctly (worn/faded/scratches/code resolution/etc), so an alternate ID (eg passport) might come in handy at initial biometric registration.

I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?
If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Who can become a CLEAR member?
CLEAR welcomes individuals 18 years of age and older.
In order to enroll, you must have one of the following forms of photo identification: US Driver's License, US Passport, US Passport Card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, State Issued ID, US Military ID, or Global Entry Card.
All forms of identification must be valid, unexpired, not amended and have a photo.
CLEAR customer support phone +1 855-CLEARME (253-2763)
Monday - Friday 8am-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm EST
Print Wikipost

United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Helpful hint: if you already have a Clear account, the link provided doesn't work for linking your MileagePlus account.

my.clearme.com/mileageplus
That's the link once you're logged in to add your MileagePlus number. Can confirm it is indeed free for 1Ks.
I only had a basic membership (not enabled for airport) and the link didn't work for me. There's a "link mileageplus" button but it just says "Error: You must enter a value" when i click it, but there's no field to enter a value.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I had no problem adding my MP number to my account a few minutes ago. On that note, here's an important item from United's FAQ:

If your CLEAR account was created or renewed within the last 60 days, you’ll receive a refund for the difference. Please allow 4-5 business days for refund processing.
My account renewed June 22, so I'm looking forward to getting most of that money back.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Definitely ready to have this at EWR, although many questions (like where they'll put their kiosk at Terminal A).

From what I've seen at other airports, you go to the front of the Pre-check line, which at EWR would help depending on which Elites get it.

Hertz is also offering free Clear at some airports.
OK Thanks.
As a 1K, I will certainly sign up for it for free.
Going to be limited value at EWR A terminal. PreCheck is never open anyway, and the line is always to get through the conveyor, not at Doc Check.

Added - Do you still show a boarding pass or scan it at the kiosk or something? Assume that you still need to be flying out of the airport to access sterile area?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by villox
I only had a basic membership (not enabled for airport) and the link didn't work for me. There's a "link mileageplus" button but it just says "Error: You must enter a value" when i click it, but there's no field to enter a value.
That caught me a few times. There's actually a hidden text box on the page to the right of the United logo and above the "Link" button where you need to enter your MP number. It should work for you once you type that in. Bad UI, for sure...
boeingair and SkiPremier like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
That caught me a few times. There's actually a hidden text box on the page to the right of the United logo and above the "Link" button where you need to enter your MP number. It should work for you once you type that in. Bad UI, for sure...
Thanks for the tip. I found it.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Just a word of caution -

When CLEAR went bankrupt last time, they claimed their member data was part of the assets that could be sold (not sure if they sold it). So keep in mind your biometric information could be sold even though you are paying an annual fee for the service.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Just signed up as a 1K. Actually, I was one of the early users of CLEAR back in the 2000s, and until it hit its first bankruptcy. The new one has all the biometric data of the old one. Once walking by their stand, I offhandedly said to the Clear guy selling memberships that I had been in the original one, and he walked me to their stand to check the biometrics, and, sure enough, I came right up. I had not rejoined so far because, at the airports I usually fly out of, pre-check is fine, and Clear would be only a tiny increment faster, but it is a nice perk added when UA seems more often to be taking them away.
nsx1164 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
CLEAR rocks at certain airports, including DEN and LAS. Not to mention Coors Field as well as other sports venues. Been a CLEAR member for years.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So, as far as United is concerned, Gold and Platinum members have a value of a whole $10 each.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So, as far as United is concerned, Gold and Platinum members have a value of a whole $10 each.
That much?
runningpoints and Icydubloon like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Nice, just signed up and it was $0 for me. Will complete the enrollment in a few days when I get to LAX.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:34 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I see they're asking for your CC # on payment even though it's free. Is this something where they / UA might someday pull the plug and you're on the hook for an annoying have-to-cancel-this recurring charge phone call?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Just a word of caution -

When CLEAR went bankrupt last time, they claimed their member data was part of the assets that could be sold (not sure if they sold it). So keep in mind your biometric information could be sold even though you are paying an annual fee for the service.
That is not unusual. It was also not unusual that the bankruptcy court declined to consider that data as an asset. In general, insolvent companies try to claim that their customer data constitutes "goodwill." That is, of course true. It is highly valuable. The question is whether the company ought to be able to benefit from it. Rarely happens. Did not here.
boeingair likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Since I had Clear circa 2013 I can't take advantage of promotional pricing as I already have an account. I can make a new account with a new email address. However, that seems unnecessary.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by TA
I see they're asking for your CC # on payment even though it's free. Is this something where they / UA might someday pull the plug and you're on the hook for an annoying have-to-cancel-this recurring charge phone call?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.