Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best options for flying Polaris hard product from EWR?

Old Jul 29, 19, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Have never flown Polaris hard product before (only soft product back in Dec 2017). I live in BOS, but would fly out of EWR. Looking to go somewhere mid-December for Polaris experience at the saver mileage rate. I saw some for domestic Polaris seats from EWR-SFO for 60k miles. Is this a good deal or even worth it, or would it be better to buy cash and use miles to upgrade?

Basically, I have some downtime in December and was really hoping to experience Polaris seats (and possibly the Polaris lounge, but obviously couldn't with domestic to SFO)! Appreciate any suggestions you guys might have.
Old Jul 29, 19, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
If you're really that into trying the hard product, go as far as you can in it! I've done EWR-NRT and it was a good crew, good lounge and there's usually GPU space if you're flexible on dates/days of the week.(I can see right now 12/10 to 12/17, for example)
Old Jul 29, 19, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Yes, I agree with EWR-NRT. The SFO flights are prone to aircraft swaps so you may not get the Polaris seat.
Old Jul 29, 19, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by decillion View Post
Looking to go somewhere mid-December for Polaris experience at the saver mileage rate.
Look for flights where they're offering Premium Economy tickets. Every UA plane with Premium Economy also has the Polaris hard product, so UA will try hard to avoid swaps to the old configuration on those planes.

Remember that you can access the Polaris Lounge at EWR even if you have a connection to your Polaris-equipped flight, so you could consider something like EWR-IAD-BRU.

My answer to "where to go" is "wherever you find saver space." Sadly, that may not be easy to do...
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Choose any 787-10 destination. Just checked Dec 2019 for some of the routes, and it's pretty poor for saver awards due to dynamic pricing but they often open up closer to the travel date (if you are ok taking a risk).
Old Jul 29, 19, 12:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
EWR-LHR will be 100% high J 763s by September and those birds have the new Polaris seats. EWR-NRT/HKG/BOM and one of the two EWR-TLV flights are served by a 77W with the Polaris seats. EWR-FRA/CDG/BCN/BRU/DUB and the other EWR-TLV flights are served by a 78J with the Polaris seats.
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
Choose any 787-10 destination. Just checked Dec 2019 for some of the routes, and it's pretty poor for saver awards due to dynamic pricing but they often open up closer to the travel date (if you are ok taking a risk).
Even the 78Js sometimes get swapped out sometimes. EWR-LHR or EWR-NRT are the surest bets.
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DA201 View Post
EWR-NRT/HKG/BOM and one of the two EWR-TLV flights are served by a 77W with the Polaris seats.
Note that EWR-HKG is switching back to the pmCO 772 with Diamond seats for the winter 2019-20 timetable.
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Hmm. Okay. I just went to Japan a few months ago so I'm not sure I'd wanna go there. Anyone also recommend any other routes?
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Hmm. Okay. I just went to Japan a few months ago so I'm not sure I'd wanna go there. Anyone also recommend any other routes?
ewr-tlv. All Polaris all the time. No swaps. All 781 or 773.
Plus PJs. But saver space usually challenging.

Old Jul 29, 19, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saccoNY View Post

ewr-tlv. All Polaris all the time. No swaps. All 781 or 773.
Plus PJs. But saver space usually challenging.

TLV would be awesome but i just looked for the next 5 months out and there's 0 saver space.
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Ended up booking Polaris saver (35k) from SFO-EWR on the retrofitted 777-200. Is there a strong likelihood it'll be swapped out?
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA1K 2MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Note that EWR-HKG is switching back to the pmCO 772 with Diamond seats for the winter 2019-20 timetable.
just noticed that as I worked on picking dates for RDU-HKG in January. ORD is no better and SFO is not a fun connection from RDU.
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Ended up booking Polaris saver (35k) from SFO-EWR on the retrofitted 777-200. Is there a strong likelihood it'll be swapped out?
It looks like the Polarized 772 is going into regular rotation on SFO-EWR (domestic turns), which increases odds it will stick.

Originally Posted by dulcamara View Post
just noticed that as I worked on picking dates for RDU-HKG in January. ORD is no better and SFO is not a fun connection from RDU.
Check out the specific thread. I would stick with EWR. Winter 2019-2020 EWR-HKG back to non-polaris seating 772? (Now 77W - Polaris w/ PP)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: