FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   International arrival, can I get an item from my bag during a 13 hour layover in SFO? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1980554-international-arrival-can-i-get-item-my-bag-during-13-hour-layover-sfo.html)

Often1 Jul 30, 2019 8:10 am

I have never heard of such a rule. Once one has one's checked luggage, what is in checked, carry-on or on one's person, is all the same and all are subject to search. The same is true for the written or electronic declaration. It is either true or false and has nothing to do with where one chooses to put one's extra bottle of booze.

chavala Jul 30, 2019 8:41 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31358730)
At least at SFO, you no longer give a form to the Customs agent - you just walk straight out unless stopped.

When they first started doing this at IAH, I didn't realize they kept my GE slip at immigration. When I got to the baggage claim I thought I'd lost it and was searching my bag, my pockets and the floor around me.
But there is no "customs" like before (other than an agent at a podium off to the side barely paying attention). You just walk right out.

jsloan Jul 30, 2019 9:28 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31358736)
Everyone is advised never to use US airlines to travel from Country A to Country B via the USA - it's a large missed opportunity for US airlines.

No, it's a minuscule missed opportunity for US airlines. There are a small number of itineraries where it makes sense to do an I-I connection in the US.

threeoh Jul 30, 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31359034)
No, it's a minuscule missed opportunity for US airlines. There are a small number of itineraries where it makes sense to do an I-I connection in the US.

Well, the majority probably involve Canada, and they've solved that with pre-clearance.

raehl311 Jul 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31353258)
I often put things in and take things out of my bag in the baggage arrival hall and then take the bag through customs and put it on the belt outside for delivery to the next plane. For example, if I have come from cold weather if i did not put my overcoat in my bag when I checked it in then will do so on retrieval at SFO before connecting. Same with liquids.

You should avoid opening your bad until after you clear customs. They do not like you going in your bag prior to the inspection point.

chavala Jul 30, 2019 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 31360397)
You should avoid opening your bad until after you clear customs. They do not like you going in your bag prior to the inspection point.

I thought so too, but maybe our idea is old school. After all, I never saw a sign, but for some reason I always thought it was a No-No as well. Did it used to be?

raehl311 Jul 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 31353348)
You don't, because you have to collect your bag, there is no alternative option. For some reason the US doesn't have airside transit, unlike the rest of the world, perhaps they think an archaic policy will match their ancient airports...

Canada doesn't have airside transit either, at least not on US-YYZ-EU flights.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31358736)
I think this sums up the issues quite well and is a perfect example of the malaise of a "can't do" attitude. Everyone is advised never to use US airlines to travel from Country A to Country B via the USA - it's a large missed opportunity for US airlines. Perhaps they would be better served getting sensible I to I arrangements rather than squealing about the ME3.

What itineraries would you want to transfer through the US?

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31358746)
I have never heard of such a rule. Once one has one's checked luggage, what is in checked, carry-on or on one's person, is all the same and all are subject to search. The same is true for the written or electronic declaration. It is either true or false and has nothing to do with where one chooses to put one's extra bottle of booze.

I have heard of it, and I heard of it when I was admonished by an agent at one point before I'd heard of it.

They don't want you taking something that was in your bag and hiding it on your person, as there are items that can get to bag claim at your destination in your bag that would get caught in a bag search but they wouldn't search your person for or wouldn't find on such a search. They also don't like the idea that you might have a weapon of some sort in your checked bag you might use to "escape" customs.

Yes, I've seen people do it and no one cared, but best case scenario is no benefit and worst case you get extra attention you don't need.

Global321 Jul 30, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 31360456)
Canada doesn't have airside transit either, at least not on US-YYZ-EU flights.

HKG-YVR-JFK is I-I transfer. Just a quick security check.

Aussienarelle Jul 31, 2019 12:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31355308)
My understanding is that USA CBP rules forbid opening (or removing/adding items) checked bags until you have gone through customs. After customs, you can open the bag before re-checking it at the airline bag drop just after leaving customs.

Really? Can you please provide the reference as I do this at every US airport when I am connecting from an international airport. Often it is to put the duty free liquids in the checked luggage and other times it is to not need to carry the unnecessary clothing. I do not do this in secret but completely in the open. However, I am certainly not trying to violate any law. I have never seen any signs prohibiting this behavior.

I think the baggage collection area is a more secure area than the busy baggage drop area.

lsquare Jul 31, 2019 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 31360519)
HKG-YVR-JFK is I-I transfer. Just a quick security check.

They had to clear security at JFK so why do it again at YVR?

Global321 Jul 31, 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31361829)
They had to clear security at JFK so why do it again at YVR?

You have read my post backwards. :)
Starts in HKG, then YVR, then JFK. Security stop at YVR for everyone. Customs and Immigrations at JFK.

The other way... JFK-YVR-HKG, security at JFK, business and first stay on the plane at YVR, coach goes through security only at YVR (I think). Customs and Immigrations at HKG.

lsquare Jul 31, 2019 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 31362391)
You have read my post backwards. :)
Starts in HKG, then YVR, then JFK. Security stop at YVR for everyone. Customs and Immigrations at JFK.

The other way... JFK-YVR-HKG, security at JFK, business and first stay on the plane at YVR, coach goes through security only at YVR (I think). Customs and Immigrations at HKG.

LMAO! Oops...

Here's the part that I don't understand. You have to clear security at HKG to get on to a plane. So why go through security again when it lands at YVR?

Funny in the other direction, F and J stays on the plane, but Y have to go through security. Guess that's one of the perks of F and J.

findark Jul 31, 2019 7:48 am

Yeah, if you're going for a proper, nice I/I experience I would not pick an airport with transfer security. I don't think "quick" and "security check" ever wind up in the same sentence in Canada :)

Global321 Jul 31, 2019 8:59 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31362476)
LMAO! Oops...

Here's the part that I don't understand. You have to clear security at HKG to get on to a plane. So why go through security again when it lands at YVR?

Funny in the other direction, F and J stays on the plane, but Y have to go through security. Guess that's one of the perks of F and J.

I did ask. The FA said it is a USA requirement for everyone to clear security. I guess HK does not have the same requirement. (Seems a little silly, but after 9/11, I guess they want to reduce chances of a problem in US airspace.)

Reasons I think Y is required to leave the plane:
1. People do get off/on in YVR. In biz/first every seat has direct aisle access so anyone who needs to get off can. In Y, it could be a bit of a cluster.
2. Cleaning crew. Easy to clean around some people in First/Biz. Harder to do in Y when the window might have an open seat.