Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question re separate United reward flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond

Hi there,

Im NZ based and booked a UA reward ticket DCA-IAH in Y and IAH to SYD in J on seperate tickets. The NZ booking team couldn't put them on the same ticket number. I called UA who said they can link them so that bags can be interlined and more importantly if the shorted DCA-IAH flight is late/cancelled then I can be rebooked.

Do folks here have any good or bad experiences to share re this if the first flight is delayed. Do UA book in J?

I have 42 hours now to cancel with no penalty.

Many thanks
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Hector99
Do folks here have any good or bad experiences to share re this if the first flight is delayed. Do UA book in J?
The problem is that, regardless of what the agent said, "linking" PNRs does nothing. You will be able to through-check bags because that's standard practice. While UA is under no obligation to rebook you if your inbound flight is late on a separate ticket, they generally will try to help. If they do help, since you booked in J, they would rebook in J.

I have 42 hours now to cancel with no penalty.
I think you mean 24.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Do people here find them generally positive or hostile with regards to rebooks?

42 hours. I had 48 as per Air NZ policy and that was 6 hours ago
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks. Do people here find them generally positive or hostile with regards to rebooks? ....
If the issue was UA caused, UA generally will address the issue. However, do not book a tight connection as the IAH-SYD options are very limited.

I would not be less than 2 hours, 3 hours would be better. Allow for at least 1-hour delay on the DCA-IAH due to the limited options onward, while a rebooking will be done, it will extend the trip significantly.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

3.5 hours.
I don't mind about any onward delays extending the trip... its going home and it'll eat into my jet lag recovery time rather than work/$ generation

Thank you
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3.5 hours.
I don't mind about any onward delays extending the trip... its going home and it'll eat into my jet lag recovery time rather than work/$ generation

Thank you
Most probably you'll be fine. UA is likely to accommodate in case of delay even if they are separate tickets, since they're both UA metal. Enjoy the IAH J lounge.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
3.5 hours. ...
That will be fine 99% of the time
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
3.5 hours.

Thank you
I would risk it. Bag check-through is easy and if there is a delay they will likely put you on the flight next day. There is no guarantee though, so there is a non-zero risk.

Why exactly can't NZ put this on 1 ticket?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
I would risk it. Bag check-through is easy and if there is a delay they will likely put you on the flight next day. There is no guarantee though, so there is a non-zero risk.
UA doesn't fly IAH-SYD daily, so the "flight next day" could well be via SFO or LAX.

Originally Posted by cfischer
Why exactly can't NZ put this on 1 ticket?
Maybe they're running into married inventory issues. It's common enough on UA-issued tickets; maybe NZ is honoring those restrictions on their own tickets also.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Going via SFO or LAX the next day or 2 days later wouldn't bother me that much. Rather not but thats the issue with once a day flights (thats the issue with NZ geographical isolation)

the situation I want to avoid is being ticketless in IAH. From what I read Im happy to not cancel. 1% is a low chance even tho Amex Plat insurance won't cover as not bought with Amex Points.

NZ wouldn't ticket as one as they couldn't 'see' IAH-SYD availability even though I could and booked it online ten seconds after they told me they couldn't see it. NZ don't like their points spent on anything but NZ flights I think.

Wanted to retry the Polaris lounge again and also compare NZ vs UA TPAC. Even tho its the old Polaris 2-2-2 787-9 Id like to try vs the NZ 787. I don't live in AKL so need to take another flight in any case and SYD is a good place to hang for a day or so to get over a trip. Am considering changing allegiance for TPAC flights and going for UA Plat in addition to NZ Elite.

Re the connection time Im likely to be travelling hand luggage only and am Global Entry so can use the faster security lanes to speed it up

Many thanks for replies
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Maybe they're running into married inventory issues. It's common enough on UA-issued tickets; maybe NZ is honoring those restrictions on their own tickets also.
not sure if NZ has a ‘choice’ on honoring. If UA is doing married segment logic on awards, then the inventory on the flights will reflect that - so stock is probably irrelevant.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe

not sure if NZ has a ‘choice’ on honoring. If UA is doing married segment logic on awards, then the inventory on the flights will reflect that - so stock is probably irrelevant.
I have not seen X not marrying with I . Would be interesting to check that out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.