Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Free WiFi Starting sometime in 2020???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Free WiFi Starting sometime in 2020???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Plat.., Lifetime Delta SC, UC, MM
WiFi worked SFO-HNL 7.24.19

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The cynic in me sez WiFi (beyond on-board entertainment) will still be unavailable on most planes between Hawaii and west coast, where I spend at least half my flight hours.
Morning flight SFO-HNL on 777-300 the WiFi was working except for a couple of minutes mid flight. $18.99 for full flight.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BWIflyerman
Morning flight SFO-HNL on 777-300 the WiFi was working except for a couple of minutes mid flight. $18.99 for full flight.
I can't remember the last time WiFi not available HNL-SFO (although I don't use it all the time), but I find it painfully slow.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I can't remember the last time WiFi not available HNL-SFO (although I don't use it all the time), but I find it painfully slow.
For Internet access, only the Panasonic-equipped airplanes will have service on the crossing to/from Hawaii. This includes Airbus 319, Airbus 320, select Boeing 757-200, select 757-300, 767-300ER, 767-400ER, 777-200, 777-200ER, 777-300ER, 787-8, 787-9 and 787-10 aircraft. (Of course, the A319/320 doesn't go to Hawaii)

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ight/wifi.html
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Not too surprising - given how integral being plugged in is these days, having free Wi-Fi makes sense. It'll probably come through as a subtle upcharge on fares, but not enough for people to notice. It will be nice not to get charged $40, though

It will be nice when TG makes the move and no longer charges silly amounts of money and gives out free 10MB cards
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by seat38a
I hope they offer teared service. Free version and paid tiers with faster speeds.
Yeah, that seems almost inevitable if there's a free tier. Free gets you limited functionality - messages, email, slow internet. Pay more if you want faster speed. Seems totally reasonable to me - I don't really want a lot of internet on planes, and would be happy just to get some texts and email. Understand others want more, and think it's reasonable to have them pay for that.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I've noticed on more and more of my flights lately that WiFi is free.

I'm also paying for a WiFi subscription. Is there any ryhme or reason to when it's free? I'm wondering if I should keep the subscription if more and more WiFi becomes available for free.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Which flights have that been?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
That would be my question, too. The prices on mine have been going up, up, up (to the point I complained about it in my post-flight survey for a recent one, where they wanted $20 for an hour or $40 for 5 hours).
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm also paying for a WiFi subscription. Is there any ryhme or reason to when it's free? I'm wondering if I should keep the subscription if more and more WiFi becomes available for free.
How do you mean free? Any chance your credentials are being remembered somehow?

I have never seen fully free wifi. Sometimes certain google services or imessage work without purchase, but not general web traffic.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I think what you're seeing is the services that will work through the wifi without purchasing internet. Internet service is not (yet) free on any flights. There isn't even a way for us to 'comp' the internet as we used to do with the DirecTV (before it became free) on the airplanes that are so equipped.

There are four (I think) different WiFi/Internet systems currently on UAL and UX aircraft. What will work without purchase varies depending on the system. iMessage and some limited Google services are the ones that might work, depending on the system. The United App, United website, and some partner websites should work on all of them.

From piecing together bits from several communications, I think the plan is to make the Internet free after they get the system(s) working reliably and with sufficient bandwidth. They are working on the three active systems, the fourth is on the currently grounded MAX aircraft, with the goal to find out which works best. So far, the system on the MAX was performing the best but it doesn't have the worldwide coverage for the long haul aircraft though its coverage is better than the system on the 737 NGs. We use the aircraft's WiFi up front to access our WSi weather app (our official weather provider) in the cockpit now so we always know if the internet is working. I've noticed a significant improvement over the past few months, thought still far from perfect, so it looks like they're making some progress.
aindfan and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
(Not at all making a statement on behalf of United, this is only me speaking personally)

As a UA corporate employee, the email this FA referenced is a total mystery to me and would definitely be something I'd be on the distro list way before any front line employee.

That being said, I know that wifi is regularly discussed in executive meetings and there is a lot of work in progress, but this FA was definitely incorrect in saying that there was an email letting employees know a deployment date.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
More free Wifi

I had another flight with free WiFi: a 777 HNL-SFO.

When on unitedwifi.com when you go to the WiFi page where you'd typically enter your credentials, it just has a box that says Free WiFi.

No where were credentials requested or prices mentioned. On my next flight out of SFO, credentials were required on the same page and it was not free.

My last flight with free wifi was LAS-SFO.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I had another flight with free WiFi: a 777 HNL-SFO. .....
May be a random system test for demand and impact if free wifi was offered. There is no systematic free wifi on UA at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.