Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Want to use UA benefits (E+ access, CPU, bag allowance, boarding group, ....) but credit flight to a partner program.
Best to wait until you have a BP and then at the airport use a kiosk to change to the program you wish to credit.
Should be able to keep seat assignment but if you use an airport agent to change the crediting program, there is a chance the agent will undo the E+ access or CPU
For multiple segments, this gets tricky as crediting is done post-flight (but not immediately) and changing programs (such as back to UA for a second flight) before you confirm posting can lead to unpredictable outcomes.

Related thread
Ability to Change MP Number on UAL.COM Removed {Now back @ checkin???}
Print Wikipost

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I'm pretty sure they've removed the ability to do this on the kiosk. I've tried and tried multiple times in 2016/2017 and have never once been successful. I've always had to see an agent.

Unless they've added it back in.
i thought they only removed that from the website - didn't realize they may have removed it from the kiosk, too.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
i thought they only removed that from the website - didn't realize they may have removed it from the kiosk, too.
Part of the usual United IT 'upgrades'?
Old May 22, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Non-UA *G for status but earning UA miles? (UA tkt, non-UA metal)

Hi all,

I am certain this has been covered elsewhere but hard for me to find where at the moment...

For travel US->int'l booked via UA but on LH metal... is it possible to use a non-UA *G status but still credit the miles to UA? The ticket is booked in Economy on all-LH metal (UA codeshare), with very long layovers in both directions. The priorities would be, in no particular order: lounge access, economy seat choice, upgrades. But the miles need to be credited to UA, not to the non-UA account.

Lounges: If a (non-status) UA MP number is on the ticket, can *G lounges still be accessed during the layovers with the non-UA *G status just by showing the non-UA *G card? Or does the *G status have to be attached to the reservation? What about for pre-departure within the U.S.?

Seat choice: Will LH allow seat selection and/or "better seats" using the non-UA *G status, if it's not attached to the ticket?

Upgrades: Same question as above, for consideration of (paid or op-) upgrades.

The travel agent uses Sabre and has said they could put the non-UA account into the system without "activating" it for miles (miles would be credited to UA), but they haven't done this many times before so don't have much experience with this and/or whether it works for above...

Advice is most welcome!

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
You shouldn't need a TA to change over FF details; just get them to set it one way, then call UA/LH with the PNR and get it sorted later on. Worst case, check-in, lounge, and gate agents can all change them.

Lounges: Definitely. Even with the UA MP account attached to the ticket, show up at the lounge with the physical non-UA *G card and they'll let you in. Ask them to reprint the BP once you're inside so you can confirm the right FF number is still attached to the ticket for earning purposes.

Seats: Which non-UA *G is this? MP doesn't get you better seats on LH metal. If it's LH M&M, you can certainly get the ticket changed to the M&M FF number, select better seats, then ask the gate/lounge agent to change the FF number back to UA before boarding. Only risk at that point is they spot that you're no longer eligible for the better seats, but odds they try to kick you back to regular Y seats so close to departure are low.

Upgrades: LH doesn't do CPU on US->intl and op-up is so unlikely that you shouldn't optimise for it. I would say just forget about upgrade odds altogether and focus on the two issues above.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by sfo789
You shouldn't need a TA to change over FF details; just get them to set it one way, then call UA/LH with the PNR and get it sorted later on. Worst case, check-in, lounge, and gate agents can all change them.
Do you mean, after the flight? But wouldn't that mean having to pull the miles from SAS to re-credit to UA? That sounds like it might cause problems, especially for someone with no status trying to get UA to do that... no?

Or did you mean, change it at the airport before the flight?

Lounges: Definitely. Even with the UA MP account attached to the ticket, show up at the lounge with the physical non-UA *G card and they'll let you in.
I assume a "physical" smartphone app card would be good enough?

Seats: Which non-UA *G is this? MP doesn't get you better seats on LH metal.
It would be SAS, I believe. But prior experience with MP *G status on LH (about 3 years ago) suggests that it can get better Y seats, e.g., bulkheads and such (i.e., the "more legroom" paid seats, not necessarily premium Y). The phone agents then seemed to think that the UA *G status was important, but that was back then, not sure about now.

Since it's non-LH, any further thoughts on it?

Upgrades: LH doesn't do CPU on US->intl and op-up is so unlikely that you shouldn't optimise for it.
Good to know. Not sure how full these flights are, but there are quite a few open seats on the seatmap previews. Premium Y would be lovely but I guess not a realistic option.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by cepheid
It would be SAS, I believe. But prior experience with MP *G status on LH (about 3 years ago) suggests that it can get better Y seats, e.g., bulkheads and such (i.e., the "more legroom" paid seats, not necessarily premium Y). The phone agents then seemed to think that the UA *G status was important, but that was back then, not sure about now.
That makes sense, and yes, anecdotally some people have succeeded with non-LH *G + exit rows or similar (usually only at check-in).

Do you mean, after the flight? But wouldn't that mean having to pull the miles from SAS to re-credit to UA? That sounds like it might cause problems, especially for someone with no status trying to get UA to do that... no?

Or did you mean, change it at the airport before the flight?
The latter.

I assume a "physical" smartphone app card would be good enough?
In the US, usually yes. In Germany, I've always been asked for the physical card. Bring it along.

Premium Y would be lovely but I guess not a realistic option.
Extremely unlikely unfortunately unless the flight is badly overbooked and there aren't enough LH elites to op-up.

Given all this, my suggested strategy would be:
  • Get the TA to add your SAS *G number now
  • At check-in, and perhaps once on the phone before, try to get exit row etc.
  • In the lounge or at the gate, get your FF number switched to UA
  • A couple days after landing, get your FF switched back to SAS for the return leg, then rinse and repeat
Old May 23, 2017, 9:28 am

In the US, usually yes. In Germany, I've always been asked for the physical card. Bring it along.
That would probably be a problem, since traveler won't have received the card yet. Does anyone know if there's a way around that issue?

Thanks!

Does anyone happen to have a different experience -- that showing the app would be sufficient for lounge access in Germany?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2017 at 11:43 am Reason: combined bump
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
3 Bags as a 1K if I credit to another FF program?

I'm just a few thousand miles shy of *G on Singapore. Can I credit my international UA trip to another Star Alliance program but still show my 1K card and get 3 bags at check in?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkmatter
I'm just a few thousand miles shy of *G on Singapore. Can I credit my international UA trip to another Star Alliance program but still show my 1K card and get 3 bags at check in?
Strictly speaking no but you might get lucky with the check-in agent.

Might be more successful if you check-in as 1K and then after security change your FF account.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Exactly that I was going to say. Check in as a 1K then go to a kiosk before your flight and change it.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:56 pm

How to receive UA status benefits while crediting a *A partner?

I am a lifetime United Premier Gold member. Flying United to Singapore next month but would like to credit miles to Turkish Air miles and smiles. Do I still get to enjoy the premium cabin seats and the extra checked in baggage ? replies appreciated and thanked in advance.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I would ask at the gate if they can change your FF number in your PNR to the Turkish one before boarding.

If you use your Turkish one in the initial reservation they won't let you select free E+ seating, etc, and I don't think waving your United card around later on will matter.

I've never tried this, even though I've had multiple *G status at the same time. So, I'll wait for someone else who knows better to comment.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
KDS777 is right - change the number at the gate (or lounge/etc) and you'll be fine. By then you'll have already checked your bag and already have a seat assigned in E+.

I did this once a few months ago, and it worked perfectly. Miles posted to TK a few days after the flight.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
016 tickets but crediting elsewhere, do I still get BG1 on UA operated flights?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 11, 2018 at 12:11 pm Reason: mergerd into exisiting thread
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
016 tickets but crediting elsewhere, do I still get BG1 on UA operated flights?
BG1 requires UA status (Plat or high) or premium cabin, if your ticket does not reflect that - then no BG1. When credit to another program, that is the status that will be used. You might try showing your MP card, and the GA will likely allow it many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.