Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Want to use UA benefits (E+ access, CPU, bag allowance, boarding group, ....) but credit flight to a partner program.
Best to wait until you have a BP and then at the airport use a kiosk to change to the program you wish to credit.
Should be able to keep seat assignment but if you use an airport agent to change the crediting program, there is a chance the agent will undo the E+ access or CPU
For multiple segments, this gets tricky as crediting is done post-flight (but not immediately) and changing programs (such as back to UA for a second flight) before you confirm posting can lead to unpredictable outcomes.

Related thread
Ability to Change MP Number on UAL.COM Removed {Now back @ checkin???}
Print Wikipost

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mliem89
..... I've read a few threads where they purchase / check in with their aeroplan gold status, and then change their FFP at the gate .. the problem is my boarding zone switches to 4/5..is there any way around this ? ...
Print or screen capture your BP prior to changing programs.
..... Do i change after i arrive at destination maybe? ....
potentially too late
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Print or screen capture your BP prior to changing programs.
potentially too late

thanks but when they scan, my new boarding group will come up. At that point is it just at the discretion of the agent to let me be part of 1 or not ?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:38 am

thanks but when they scan, my new boarding group will come up. At that point is it just at the discretion of the agent to let me be part of 1 or not ?

Also you could just show your Star Gold card for boarding benefits. I think that should work.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: united, delta, british
how to change?

I just did it on a flight from Austria to Germany, made the change last minute with gate agent, and the only thing I lost was my boarding group. But now I want to do the same on a United flight trans-Atlantic and don't want to lose my E+ seat, so does anyone know if there's a way to make the change online? the problem with using a kiosk is I might lose the fast security and the lounge access. I couldn't find a way to do it online and calling CS they said it might be possible but they couldn't tell me how, and prefer I call them to make the change. Of course I don't want to call since I don't want to give up the seat.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: united, delta, british
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I get that, but for what reason? The answer makes a difference. For example, taking the UA number out should remove OP from the upgrade list. Does he simply want to earn miles in the other program but retain UA premier luggage?
Yep, just want the *Gold priveleges (not the upgrades or even the miles) while transitioning to a friendlier program.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Changing after confirmed points plus upgrade?

I’m switching all of my UA flights to be credited elsewhere.

I’m currently UA platinum, and I have a confirmed upgrade using my points plus (economy to premium economy) on a HKG-SFO in the early fall.

If I switch to another program, will that jeopardize my confirmed upgrade? (Of course I know all “complimentary” potential upgrades won’t happen, just want to keep the premium economy.)

Thank you!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LASNRT
I’m switching all of my UA flights to be credited elsewhere.

I’m currently UA platinum, and I have a confirmed upgrade using my points plus (economy to premium economy) on a HKG-SFO in the early fall.

If I switch to another program, will that jeopardize my confirmed upgrade? (Of course I know all “complimentary” potential upgrades won’t happen, just want to keep the premium economy.)

Thank you!
No that will not change anything. Possibly crediting this segment will be difficult so keep the original receipt showing the original booking class.
LASNRT likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: p
Collecting Mileage Plus points while using alternate Star Gold for lounge access?

I have Star Gold status with Air China Phoenix miles.
i would like to start collecting United Mileage Plus points when I fly United.
Is it possible for me to fly United and collect Mileage Plus while using my Air China Star Gold status for free checked bag and/or lounge access?
if it’s not an option, any other suggestions how to take advantage of this situation?
thanks!
andrew
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Andrew Russell
Is it possible for me to fly United and collect Mileage Plus while using my Air China Star Gold status for free checked bag and/or lounge access?
The lounge / UC is probably easiest done by showing your *G card upon entrance.
The bag is a bit trickier as you will have to have your CA *G on the PNR to get the bag benefit and then switch the account back to the UA account before traveling.

A bit more in this thread's wiki.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by chronicrelief
I've been doing this for a year now and yes you can essentially get all premier benefits while accruing to OZ with the following strategy:

Check in with your UA FFP on your boarding pass. Print out a physical boarding pass at a kiosk that shows UA*G. Check your bags with your increased allowance + priority handling. After check-in, you can ask the check-in agent to change your FFP to OZ. At this point your boarding group will change on all newer boarding passes but your seat assignment won't change. You will also retain your position on the upgrade list. If you want to visit the lounge, you can either show your old physical boarding pass with UA*G or simply tell them to manually enter your UA number. It is allowed within the lounge access policy to "show a star alliance gold card" when your boarding pass does not show *G status. When you board, you can use your old physical boarding pass to remain in group 1.

If check-in agent refuses to change FFP or threatens to remove your premier access, you can also change your FFP by calling in to the MileagePlus desk or at the gate. I've done this a dozen times and I've never not been able to change my FFP through one of these methods.

Note that once you change your FFP to OZ, you will not be able to select a different E+ seat without paying a fee.
The airport i am flying out of does not have kiosks and boarding passes have to be printed at the airport (country rule).

I am flying on UA, have UA *G, but want to credit to OZ. I have already selected my economy + seats, but i want to make sure i don't lose them at checkin. What happens when i go to checkin and i ask the person to change my FFP. I will get a different seat? There is no way for me to checkin otherwise.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
Originally Posted by ambush276
The airport i am flying out of does not have kiosks and boarding passes have to be printed at the airport (country rule).

I am flying on UA, have UA *G, but want to credit to OZ. I have already selected my economy + seats, but i want to make sure i don't lose them at checkin. What happens when i go to checkin and i ask the person to change my FFP. I will get a different seat? There is no way for me to checkin otherwise.
I have never had a check-in or gate agent change my seat assignment when I ask to change FFP. While they can technically remove you from E+ it is highly unlikely they do so. Interestingly, the newly printed boarding pass will simply show "Economy" even though you are sitting in E+.

If the agent gives you trouble you can always call in to Premier Desk.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
i will try this when i go in a few weeks. I will report back what happens.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Just changed my FF# to OZ at checkin, almost immediately after checkin I was moved to E-! I unchecked-in and am currently on the phone to put my 1K number back in. I'll wait till the airport to check-in and change my number.

Big that UA is now apparently sweeping to check for that.

Last edited by dinoscool3; Aug 25, 2020 at 3:26 pm
Old Aug 25, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Just changed my FF# to OZ at checkin, almost immediately after checkin I was moved to E-! I unchecked-in and am currently on the phone to put my 1K number back in. I'll wait till the airport to check-in and change my number.

Big that UA is now apparently sweeping to check for that.
honestly, I am glad they are closing this loophole. You can't have it both ways ...
Old Aug 25, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
After 22 years, it’s time to say goodbye UA.
Surely you had other reasons other than a loophole to fly UA all those years!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.