Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways (TG) award booking experiences using UA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Airways (TG) award booking experiences using UA miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I have flights that have disappeared completely. Travel is two months off. Should I be looking to UA or TG to protect me? Or is that a fantasy.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I have flights that have disappeared completely. Travel is two months off. Should I be looking to UA or TG to protect me? Or is that a fantasy.
Generally if a partner drops / changes service on a award ticket, there is little UA can do. UA will open award space on its operated flights but it has little leverage with the partner. Occasionally UA can call and the partner might offer alternatives to published space, but don't hold your breath.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally if a partner drops / changes service on a award ticket, there is little UA can do. UA will open award space on its operated flights but it has little leverage with the partner. Occasionally UA can call and the partner might offer alternatives to published space, but don't hold your breath.
I once had SQ publish a schedule change which turned a longhaul SQ F award BRU-LHR-SIN (SN, SQ) (booked during a brief period when SQ opened longhaul 77W O to partners during a GDS transition) into something like SQ Y LHR-SIN; UA called up SQ, went to bat for me, and got the F space back. It took about 45 minutes and the UA agent *claimed* to have done a lot of aggressive work to get someone at SQ to reopen space. It was not easy!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Look to United, not Thai.

Surprised that the GS call agents are not being more proactive with you. If your original flights are still on the schedule, sounds like a Shares error. IIRC, there is a somewhat rare issue when partner award legs drop off.

I take it there is no longer award availability for your particular flights? That would make it pretty easy. Or any availability on an alternate that makes sense...NRT->BKK.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Look to United, not Thai.
I actually think that OP will have better luck if they go to TG first. Repeating "You [TG] cancelled my segment, so you [TG] need to add the new segment before UA can reissue my ticket" has been very effective for me in the past.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I actually think that OP will have better luck if they go to TG first. Repeating "You [TG] cancelled my segment, so you [TG] need to add the new segment before UA can reissue my ticket" has been very effective for me in the past.
That's been my modest experience. What I know of TG's fleet overhaul direction, I suspect there will be more of these.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. I'll start with UA GS then think about spending time speaking to TG. It's just a total waste of time. And UA should be more proactive to start instead of sending me e-mails to call them aka UA. They have my cell number. Find a solution / options and call me. I already worked for the points.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:51 pm

Spent nearly an hour on phone with UA. They never contacted TG. My outbound restored but booked in F. Return restored but going into NRT instead of HND. One night in Tokyo before picking up NH F. The later (BKK to NRT) booked in O. Considering the quality of the rides just hope it all sticks at this point.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:50 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
About 18 months ago I had award tickets for 3 of us from LAS-SFO-NRT-BKK-KKC AND BACK. Approximately a month out my BKK-KKC (and return) flights disappeared, without any warning. Calls to UAL and TG were a waste of time, because no-one knew anything. Turns out my domestic portions became "Smile Airlines" a mini-TED, so to speak, and TG was NOT involved anymore, they said.

Not the same as the OP, I know, but just sayin', good luck getting any sort of explanation or answers from Thai Airlines (even via UAL). The best answer would probably be the national motto over there, "SAME-SAME-BUT-DIFFERENT!"
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Spent nearly an hour on phone with UA. They never contacted TG. My outbound restored but booked in F. Return restored but going into NRT instead of HND. One night in Tokyo before picking up NH F. The later (BKK to NRT) booked in O. Considering the quality of the rides just hope it all sticks at this point.
Glad you were able to get United to recover your trip in some manner. You do have some great flights to look forward to.

A bit of a pain to have a layover in Toyko when arriving / departing NRT though.

Good luck in having everything stick now.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA will open award space on its operated flights but it has little leverage with the partner.
If you do this, be sure to request the commensurate refund in miles, as UA metal is worth less than partner metal in most situations,
Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
(

Whenever I have seen flights disappear completely, I have always been able to trace it back to a ticket reissue by UA that they did not communicate to the partners. At some point, the old tickets "disappeared" and so did my segments.

In one case, it was linked to my PNR being set incorrectly which resulted in reissue gor every minor UA flight number/time/equipment change whicb an agent was eventually able to stop from happening.

Good luck.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:09 am

My outbound process was fairly simple as UA found F space. My return was different. TG changed equipment at my flight time and moved the 747 with F to earlier time. UA would not honor or grab me space on that flight hence the change for NRT. Spending evening in Tokyo at a lux hotel does it for me. There was never any explanation offered but me having e-mail confirmations and being able to quote directly from them helped make my case to stick with my original cabins. The prospect to visit the Royal Spa before departing BKK for NRT helped incentivize me to hold while they worked it out. I also offered to speak with the service director my GS agent was conversing with. Thanks all for encouragement. Suspect this will not be the last story we hear.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:20 am

Thai Smile Award Flights

Hello,

I tried looking it up but couldn't find out if Thai Smile flights were able to purchased in conjunction with an award ticket or do those have to be called in like SQ awards?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Hello,

I tried looking it up but couldn't find out if Thai Smile flights were able to purchased in conjunction with an award ticket or do those have to be called in like SQ awards?
I don't think so; I'm not sure that you can get an award on a Smile flight. What route are you trying to go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.