Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Winter 2019-2020 EWR-HKG back to non-polaris seating 772? (Now 77W - Polaris w/ PP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter 2019-2020 EWR-HKG back to non-polaris seating 772? (Now 77W - Polaris w/ PP)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Originally Posted by hirohito888
There's no indication that SFO-HKG will be on sCO772, they can use one of many retrofitted sUA772. But since EWR-HKG is not selling premium economy, it's a sign that it will revert back to 772 and be assigned whatever plane is available 24h before flight.
Actually, I think they are selling Premium Economy on EWR-HKG. I have someone booked in PE on that route late August. And paid extra for it
EWR764 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Just doing some back-of-the-envelope calculations, by the time the winter schedule goes into effect (EWR-HKG to 772 from 77W), UA should have 8-9 modded sCO 772ER in service, with two more in mod, leaving 10-12 to be retrofit. That should be sufficient to dedicate the new configuration (with Premium Plus) to the HKG route at least, with ample redundancy.

In the coming weeks, I suspect we'll see a whole slate of additional routes offering premium economy for sale, effective the W19/20 schedule. EWR-LHR is already one.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Feather Man
Actually, I think they are selling Premium Economy on EWR-HKG. I have someone booked in PE on that route late August. And paid extra for it
They are selling PE through the end of the summer travel season. They are not selling PE once the route changes to the 772.

That doesn't mean that they won't end up using an aircraft with PE seating, but they're not obligating themselves to do so at this point.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
There's no indication that SFO-HKG will be on sCO772, they can use one of many retrofitted sUA772. But since EWR-HKG is not selling premium economy, it's a sign that it will revert back to 772 and be assigned whatever plane is available 24h before flight.
If they are going to swap the new config Polaris to the fall 2019/ early 2020 EWR - HKG flights, I understand the # of business class are the same on both the pmCO diamond seats and the new config Polaris which is 50. What about the reduced Economy seats on the newly config Polaris which might cause a over book situation, since now they are selling in the old pmCO economy seats, which have a lot more than the new config of the B777-200.

That is assuming they are going to sell every single economy seat in the old config.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoonil
If they are going to swap the new config Polaris to the fall 2019/ early 2020 EWR - HKG flights, I understand the # of business class are the same on both the pmCO diamond seats and the new config Polaris which is 50. What about the reduced Economy seats on the newly config Polaris which might cause a over book situation, since now they are selling in the old pmCO economy seats, which have a lot more than the new config of the B777-200.
They would move passengers into P+ as needed. There are more seats in total, because the pmCO config is 9-across and Y in the new config is 10-across.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Well, the EWR-HKG route is currently covered with the 77W, the 777-300ER. These planes are only available with the Polaris / PE layout because they are relatively new to the fleet.

The sCO 772 resumes on this route on the westbound departure from EWR on 27-Oct-19, which is one day after the SFO/HKG route looses its 77W and goes to a Polaris 772 twice daily. While I'm sure the changes are related, I can't explain how SFO going from a 77W to 2X 772s causes EWR to loose its 77W. I would assume this is just the date for the fall schedules to go into effect.

Related to your question, since SFO/HKG is going to utilize 4 Polaris 772s (2 per day, both directions), and there are only 5 of them in service now, I would expect the sCO 772 and be delighted if a Polaris bird appears on your flight. Keep in mind that there will probably be a few more retrofitted by then, but the ones not dedicated to flights with PE service will be few and far between.

If you're really interested in flying in Polaris, the only way to guarantee that now is to do a connection in SFO.
If they're dropping 77W to HKG out of SFO in favor of 772s, UA may have decided it's better to have all 772s, in whatever configuration, going to HKG in order to allow more operational flexibility.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jsloan
They would move passengers into P+ as needed. There are more seats in total, because the pmCO config is 9-across and Y in the new config is 10-across.
Correct... but I would caution anyone booking this flight now and angling for a P+ seat with an equipment swap. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go to a dedicated P+/Polaris bird once the schedule is finalized.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Correct... but I would caution anyone booking this flight now and angling for a P+ seat with an equipment swap. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go to a dedicated P+/Polaris bird once the schedule is finalized.

thanks.. do you know when is the winter schedule finalized, when is it effective from?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
thanks.. do you know when is the winter schedule finalized, when is it effective from?
Sometime in the next few weeks, one would think.

Seems like UA will have some 77Ws on their hands to play around with. SFO-HKG is going away and will presumably be replaced by SFO-AKL (two frames each). Then you have, for now, EWR-HKG and SFO-LHR (901/900) losing the 77W too, IIRC. So EWR-HKG could well end back up on the 77W.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Sometime in the next few weeks, one would think.

Seems like UA will have some 77Ws on their hands to play around with. SFO-HKG is going away and will presumably be replaced by SFO-AKL (two frames each). Then you have, for now, EWR-HKG and SFO-LHR (901/900) losing the 77W too, IIRC. So EWR-HKG could well end back up on the 77W.

Looks like the EWR - HKG is back on 77W (777-300) with the new Polaris Config for the late fall/ early 2020 schedule. Strange though they have blocked all the P+ seats (i.e. not available for purchase), even though it is the new equipment. So they might still do an equip swap
wxguy likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Looks like the EWR - HKG is back on 77W (777-300) with the new Polaris Config for the late fall/ early 2020 schedule. Strange though they have blocked all the P+ seats (i.e. not available for purchase), even though it is the new equipment. So they might still do an equip swap
Yep! My early December EWR-HKG-EWR just reverted to the 77W. The system moved me from my pmCO 772 favorite 8E to the 77W's 9G, but luckily 9L was available on both flights! Check your reservations if you're going to/from HKG this winter!

I'm guessing the inventory management system lags the equipment assignment a bit, and P+ buckets will show up soon.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus
Yep. My EWR-HKG flight in Feb 2020 is now 77W and Polaris Seating. I had to move the date one day to make it work as they cancelled the flight on the original day outbound. Thanks for the update!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
P+ buckets have shown up, at least on the one date I checked (12/12). Meanwhile, ORD continues to get no love and is still stuck on the pmCO 772.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was totally shocked to find my HKG-ORD tomorrow swapped from a CO772 to Polaris 777. I didn’t even realize it was something I should be watching for. Glad I caught it before all the good seats were taken.
(I was put in 4G)
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
P+ buckets have shown up, at least on the one date I checked (12/12). Meanwhile, ORD continues to get no love and is still stuck on the pmCO 772.
I just noticed your post above mine. Thanks for wishing for some love for ORD : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.