FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Winter 2019-2020 EWR-HKG back to non-polaris seating 772? (Now 77W - Polaris w/ PP) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1979519-winter-2019-2020-ewr-hkg-back-non-polaris-seating-772-now-77w-polaris-w-pp.html)

EWR764 Sep 16, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31530781)
Except if one waits until December, there will be minimal alternative options available.

Not to mention how poorly UA handles seat assignments when they swap these aircraft back and forth. And of course good luck getting any relief from cs two days before travel when you get dumped into a bad seat.

If the possibility of flying in the old business class seat is too dangerous for a 3-month(+) advance purchase, then, obviously, the alternative is to fly another airline that better meets one's needs. Pretty straightforward.

I make this point merely to recall the dozens of other situations in the past where panic over aircraft swaps in advance schedules turned out to be much ado about nothing. Recall the concerns around this time last year, when the W18/19 schedule began to load, and a number of Polaris markets (including SFO-NRT) were initially showing old 772 cabins? Things change as schedules are finalized.

The HKG situation is clearly an unusual exogenous circumstance, not just the latest manifestation of United's ulterior motive to completely screw over every single passenger...

ctownflyer Sep 16, 2019 11:00 am

Originally Posted by williambruno1975 (Post 31525241)
others have asked what UA will do to respond to 3x weekly DFW-TLV. Now we know.

How in the world is going from 1x 78J and 1x 77W to 2x 77W from December 2019-March 2020 on EWR-TLV a response to AA DFW-TLV 789 3x weekly starting in September 2020?!?

Kacee Sep 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 31530834)
If the possibility of flying in the old business class seat is too dangerous for a 3-month(+) advance purchase, then, obviously, the alternative is to fly another airline that better meets one's needs. Pretty straightforward.

Yes, I have been increasingly doing just that. Unfortunately, the CX options that were available when I bought the UA ticket are now considerably more expensive.

I'm pretty sure you don't mean to defend how UA juggles seat assignments when they switch back and forth between configurations (sometimes two or three times) in the week prior to departure.

EWR764 Sep 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31531390)
I'm pretty sure you don't mean to defend how UA juggles seat assignments when they switch back and forth between configurations (sometimes two or three times) in the week prior to departure.

Now we are talking about different things... my initial comment is that it doesn't make much sense to bemoan the loss of Polaris seating on SFO/EWR-HKG, as though it is all but assured, for an aircraft change (in a fleet actively under conversion) several months away.

Kacee Sep 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 31531560)
Now we are talking about different things... my initial comment is that it doesn't make much sense to bemoan the loss of Polaris seating on SFO/EWR-HKG, as though it is all but assured, for an aircraft change (in a fleet actively under conversion) several months away.

Not really. Risk of multiple swaps is one of the consequences of UA not dedicating Polaris configuration to the route. And it's one of several reasons I'm less than thrilled about this change.

EWR764 Sep 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31531756)
Not really. Risk of multiple swaps is one of the consequences of UA not dedicating Polaris configuration to the route. And it's one of several reasons I'm less than thrilled about this change.

Let's wait and see...

Kacee Sep 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 31531782)
Let's wait and see...

Patience has never been a strong suit.

dkc192 Sep 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Just curious, did you end up cancelling? Or have you tried to call and rebook, citing the change in configuration?

Kacee Sep 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 31531829)
Just curious, did you end up cancelling? Or have you tried to call and rebook, citing the change in configuration?

There's not going to be a UA rebooking option that fits my plans. Depending on what I can book on CX or BR, I may cancel for refund, but not until after I've flown the outbound (HKG-SFO in October).

dulcamara Sep 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jm0115 (Post 31524801)
Looks like United went back to the 772 with old business class non-Polaris seats for our flight in February due to all the unrest there. Too bad I was looking forward to the Polaris seating!

Changed my seat to 8D both ways. I like the window seats in Polaris a lot, but do not like them at all on the 772.

eyuro Sep 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Did the same thing on my flight EWR-HKG in early Jan. Went from 8E to 9A back to 8D after the switches.

Jm0115 Sep 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Rerouted EWR to HKG

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 31531829)

Decided to travel on a different route.

whitethunder Sep 17, 2019 11:36 pm

Although I am upset my winter trip in March 2020 will not be true polaris now, I planned some MR in 9-across Y to HKG, gotta try to make the best of the situation...

hscottm Sep 18, 2019 6:42 pm

I just don’t get how they don’t have to at least maintain the P+ configuration regardless of aircraft used. They made a big deal about EWR-HKG being a launch market and it will be done in like 6 months. Seasonal P+ is silly marketing .

Kacee Sep 18, 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by hscottm (Post 31540115)
Seasonal P+ is silly marketing .

There is a certain arrogance to pulling the P+ aircraft off a route after it's been marketed as P+ launch route. And then refusing (at least so far) to make any sort of reasonable accommodation for the pax who actually paid for P+.