Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Severe Weather (July 22, 2019)

Old Jul 21, 19, 6:10 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Baltimore, MD (BWI)
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Washington, DC - Dulles (IAD)
  • Washington-National, DC (DCA)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
Rebook by July 25, 2019. Original ticket must have been purchased by: July 20, 2019

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (not yet posted): 1+

David

Old Jul 21, 19, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
EWR is a total mess tonight. Landed 15 minutes late, and it took us 35 minutes to park because they put a ground stop on shortly thereafter. My wife landed 25 minutes early and is still waiting to get to her gate (now over 30 minutes late). Departure board is a mass of delayed flights, with some cancellations as well. C2 customer service line is through the roof.
Old Jul 21, 19, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
EWR is a total mess tonight. Landed 15 minutes late, and it took us 35 minutes to park because they put a ground stop on shortly thereafter. My wife landed 25 minutes early and is still waiting to get to her gate (now over 30 minutes late). Departure board is a mass of delayed flights, with some cancellations as well. C2 customer service line is through the roof.
You got lucky landing only 15 minutes late as according to the FAA...

Due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 2 hours and 37 minutes.
Old Jul 21, 19, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
You got lucky landing only 15 minutes late as according to the FAA...
For good record, we touched down 15 minutes after stated arrival time. Add 35 minutes, and we were over 50 minutes late. My wife ended up deplaning about 40 minutes after scheduled arrival time.
Old Jul 21, 19, 9:41 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down

Talking about mess at Newark...

Some 40 passengers and I were stranded on a shuttle bus from C130 to UX plane for 40 minutes. The bus did not have air conditioning. It was 100 degrees outside and probably even hotter inside.

Apparently gate agent never checked with crew before boarding. We were sent on that bus, parked on tarmac, but were not allowed to board the plane as the crew were doing safety checks, defueling, refueling, etc. The bus eventually returned to the gate as it was becoming extremely unbearable.
Old Jul 21, 19, 10:00 pm

Lots of lightning visible (my apartment in Manhattan faces westward) the past 15-20 minutes, so I have to imagine there is still a ground stop at EWR. Has to be rough since a lot of flights were being pushed to around this time...
Old Jul 21, 19, 10:32 pm

Waiver not covering change fee or fare difference

I am trying to change two flights that I booked for family members that are tomorrow July 22nd from ORD to LGA. I want to switch them to another flight on the 23rd. One in F and one in economy, both show 200+ to change (same airports and routing). I tried calling the premier desk but the wait times were over 30 min. Anyone else having issues?
Old Jul 21, 19, 10:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by UAEWR View Post
I am trying to change two flights that I booked for family members that are tomorrow July 22nd from ORD to LGA. I want to switch them to another flight on the 23rd. One in F and one in economy, both show 200+ to change (same airports and routing). I tried calling the premier desk but the wait times were over 30 min. Anyone else having issues?
Online change is unreliable for waivers, best to call -- if you had stayed on the call it probably would be resolved by now. Not unusual for such phone delays when a hub is shutdown
TerryK likes this.
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by bdw1120 View Post
Talking about mess at Newark...

Some 40 passengers and I were stranded on a shuttle bus from C130 to UX plane for 40 minutes. The bus did not have air conditioning. It was 100 degrees outside and probably even hotter inside.

Apparently gate agent never checked with crew before boarding. We were sent on that bus, parked on tarmac, but were not allowed to board the plane as the crew were doing safety checks, defueling, refueling, etc. The bus eventually returned to the gate as it was becoming extremely unbearable.
Sounds like the 10th circle of hell. Sorry you had to endure that.
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:31 pm

Pouring again in NYC, with lots of lightning visible. Have to imagine EWR is a zoo again today!
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Pouring again in NYC, with lots of lightning visible. Have to imagine EWR is a zoo again today!
Itís a mess. Started my day with a 3-hour mechanical delay, and then juuuuust as we were pushing off the gate, lightning sent the ground crew indoors.

Finally pushed, took a great tour of Newark and Elizabeth, and then back to the gate after about 2:40 on the tarmac.

Currently 6:34pm - sitting in the United Club where I started my travel day at 9:45 this morning.
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

At this time, painful to say the least...

David
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
The skies in NYC are terrible. EWR certainly WILL be a mess.
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA *G, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
Currently 6:34pm - sitting in the United Club where I started my travel day at 9:45 this morning.
Time to call it quits and try again tomorrow?
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

From weather.com - yup, kinda messy.

David

Search this Thread
Search Engine: