Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy to Hawaii Family of 5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsloan
So, throw out $3500 in non-refundable, non-changeable airline tickets and spend additional money to do a road trip instead?

The tickets have been purchased. OP is going to Hawaii. It's not unreasonable to want to minimize additional fees paid to United, especially when those appear to have been poorly disclosed through OP's booking portal.

An awful lot of these posts seem close to shaming her for purchasing a product that she was offered. She came here looking for help. I sincerely doubt that some of these messages are very helpful.
You spent $3500 on tickets. If spending a little more is out of your budget then in the future, taking a $250 camping trip to a national park is probably a better idea. United is clear on what is/isn't included and you can cancel tickets at no charge within 24 hours of booking.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:43 pm

I wouldn't overthink it as the bag fees are likely a very small % of the total trip cost. My advice - travel light. For Hawaii a largish backpack and doing laundry are sufficient. Get a cheap duffel if needed for souvenirs. Which in any case you can likely buy cheaper and have shipped for free to your home on Amazon.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by ou81two
You spent $3500 on tickets. If spending a little more is out of your budget then in the future, taking a $250 camping trip to a national park is probably a better idea. United is clear on what is/isn't included and you can cancel tickets at no charge within 24 hours of booking.
Some people set aside a certain amount of money for these trips and want to stay within that amount if at all possible - so spending an extra $100-200 on fees may mean that much less in meals or other excursions. I'd rather spend that money on something else in Hawaii as opposed to airlines fees if I could. It may not be a matter of being able to afford it as it is of one's personal choice on how to spend their money.

And has already been mentioned, the BE limitations are not always presented as in-your-face as they are on United's website. Furthermore, when I was new to travel, I had no idea what aspects of a fare were important - there were so many options it was easier to just focus on price and times. I think the options are even more confusing now to people who don't travel frequently.

In any case, I suggest we focus on helping OP and avoid discussing her spending habits or philosophy, which OP didn't ask for help on (and is off-topic for this forum, in any case).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm going to take a leap that the trip is at a minimum a few weeks out - and probably months out. A family of 5 vacation to Hawaii is generally not an impulse purchase.

If that is the case, I'd plan the trip with a checked bag person - bring what you need - save room for souvenirs, and not stress about the cost or the trip.

In the meantime, if the leap I've made is correct, saving $60 person for the round trip fees is often easier than people realize. Cut the Starbucks - eat out less - bring lunch to work - put off going to the movies - set a daily goal of what you can save - etc.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
United allows fee-free upgrades from Y to F, do they allow the same from Basic to economy? The fare difference between basic and non-basic on most Hawaii flights isn't much, and paying up into the next lowest available fare class may be cheaper than dealing with seat and bag fees.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
United allows fee-free upgrades from Y to F, do they allow the same from Basic to economy?
They don't.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...c-economy.aspx
Kannai likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:26 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
United allows fee-free upgrades from Y to F, do they allow the same from Basic to economy? The fare difference between basic and non-basic on most Hawaii flights isn't much, and paying up into the next lowest available fare class may be cheaper than dealing with seat and bag fees.
Originally Posted by Kacee
No it's not possible. BE tix are expressly nonchangeable.
As @Kacee said, not possible to up-fare BE*.

*supposedly, one of the hidden benefits of GS is that you can up-fare BE tickets.
Originally Posted by Globetrottngal
They won't be able to Vacuum pack on the way home, so their stuff wont fit in the same bags on the return.
That's why they have the travel compression bags that you just roll to push the air out instead of using a vacuum or pump.
Originally Posted by ebuck
As emcampbe stated above, if you haven't purchased your tickets yet, get the Chase UA Mileage Plus Explorer card.
This is probably the best option for baggage! You would not only get TWO free checked baggage (CC holder+1 companion), but I believe everyone in your group will be able to have a full-sized carry-on in addition to the personal item.

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Why not get a credit card that pays for incidentals and fees - CSR, Amex Plat, Hilton Aspire - Your baggage fees will be easily taken care of and you can still avail other benefits (if those make sense). Additionally, because of your 5 flights, if something goes missing, all cards will offer some form of travel protection to cover those costs.
The explorer card has decent travel protection and offers some additional benefits when flying UA BE like priority boardings, 2 checked baggage, and carry-on allowance. Could still use the travel credit to purchase advanced seat assignments since there is no way around that even for elites.
Kannai likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ebuck
As emcampbe stated above, if you haven't purchased your tickets yet, get the Chase UA Mileage Plus Explorer card. And apply when you purchase the tickets. There's a link to an offer that will give you $250 statement credit after your first purchase. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year. If you book your tickets with this card, you and a companion will get one checked bag free. If you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months of having the card, you will also get 25,000 bonus miles.
Sounds like the OP has already purchased the tickets. My suggestion was merely a way that per reports here, buying a small ancillary (like seat selection on a BE fare) will 'authorize' the reservation for free bags per the card terms - not sure if everyone on the res will get one or just cardholder and 1 companion. Either way, with the card fee waived, it will be $0 for a potential much better benefit, if the OP is able to get approved. If they don't want to pay the AF the next year, they can dump it.

OP sounds like a relatively infrequent traveller, but if the bag fees are too much, then this would be a solution that would work to reduce costs for this trip, and any others they may take within a year, for little cost. Don't know if anything has changed, but I've always seen BE seat selection, when I've checked (though I'll admit not that often) at $12 - on both very short flights and almost transcons. Just one potential option.

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Why not get a credit card that pays for incidentals and fees - CSR, Amex Plat, Hilton Aspire - Your baggage fees will be easily taken care of and you can still avail other benefits (if those make sense). Additionally, because of your 5 flights, if something goes missing, all cards will offer some form of travel protection to cover those costs.
These cards cost a lot more than the explorer, and may not be suited for the OP if they don't travel that much. They also presumably require a much better credit history than a card like the Explorer. YMMV, of course. But $150 net for the CSR isn't going to be a good deal for someone that doesn't travel much.

OP has pretty obviously already purchased the tickets, since the messages have been "oops, I bought BE; now what do I do?"
Which is why I suggested potentially applying, and paying for an ancillary with it.

Originally Posted by narvik
Not only that, but going shopping on a (presumably) holiday for toiletries doesn't seem like time particularly well spent.
Not to mention, if you buy things like that there, presumably, they'd need to get back somehow. So that will only help with one out of two ways.

An awful lot of these posts seem close to shaming her for purchasing a product that she was offered. She came here looking for help. I sincerely doubt that some of these messages are very helpful.
Hopefully, some of us our helping. Unfortunately, unless booking on UA.com, its often not well-noted what BE fares don't include. And IMO, the industry needs to evolve to include full disclosure. Government eventually caught up with ancillary's - requiring airlines to have these on the home page of their website. I'm not really for over-regulation, but believe that airlines and agencies should be required to clearly mark the benefits that are/are not included with these fares at purchase, kind of like UA does on their site.

Already discussed upthread, and no. After 24 hours, these fares are completely non-changeable and non-refundable (unless one is a GS, where they can pay a difference to go to regular economy, but I'm pretty sure that's irrelevant to the OP).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... An awful lot of these posts seem close to shaming her for purchasing a product that she was offered. She came here looking for help. I sincerely doubt that some of these messages are very helpful.
Originally Posted by windhund
In any case, I suggest we focus on helping OP and avoid discussing her spending habits or philosophy, which OP didn't ask for help on (and is off-topic for this forum, in any case).
You took the words off my keyboard

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm going to take a leap that the trip is at a minimum a few weeks out - and probably months out. ..
That would be a very incorrect assumption
The dates were in the original posting but on my advice the OP removed them

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, Trish Paulson Walter
You may want to be careful posting, in true name, on a public forum, too much travel info and that you will be away.
Let's return to addressing the situation posed and try to be helpful -- other forums are more appropriate for unwanted lifestyle suggestions.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
jsloan, narvik, Kannai and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The simple answer to any discussion of changing a BE ticket is that it cannot be voluntarily changed. It is inflexible. It is either flown as issued or not at all.

For all the discussions of BE and whether it is good or bad, this is the often-overlooked issue.

I do think that this comes down to a choice for OP. $60 per 50-pound bag (round-trip) is actually a significant amount of space for Hawaii in the summer (presuming no ski boots, parkas and the like).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Trish Paulson Walter
Appreciate the tips. We are measuring our big bags now to see if we can do 2 bags + 5 backpacks. Yes concerned about souvenirs but we'll just limit the size now. lol.

Great tip for luggage, downloading app and checking in at 24 hours...so helpful.

Trish
2 bags at 50 pounds each is a huge amount of space for a Hawaii trip. Hawaii is warm weather destination so you won't need winter gear. Unless you plan to visit the mountains, and even then a light jacket or sweater should be enough. I recommend using compressor bags.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Pack as light as possible (4-5 days worth of clothes) and do laundry one day. It's Hawaii, all you need are shorts and tee shirts, maybe a nice dress shirt or two if going somewhere nice for dinner. Before you leave go buy some travel sized toiletries and if more is needed buy some more when you get there - you don't need to bring it all with you unless there are very specific things you might need. Pack light, pack light, pack light!
Originally Posted by Kacee
Good tip. It's really easy to overpack for Hawaii, very difficult to underpack. And most anything you really need, you can buy there.
I agree; that approach can be penny-wise and pound-foolish. If you're just talking about a tube of toothpaste and a bottle of mouthwash, fine, but eventually it adds up..
Originally Posted by mr8
That's why they have the travel compression bags that you just roll to push the air out instead of using a vacuum or pump.
It's Hawaii. You can probably get everything for a family of five in one suitcase, at most two suitcases.

Plan on wearing the same travel clothes back as you wore going over. All you need to pack will be a couple pairs of shorts, a couple of tee shirts, a pair of slippers, swimwear, and daily underwear for everyone traveling. The tee shirts can air out overnight and you can rinse the sweat out of them and let them dry overnight if you need. I find a travel-size tube of toothpaste per person is good enough for a week -- for a family, one half-used regular tube should be more than enough -- if you happen to run out, you can stop by Long's or even an ABC Convenience Store.

If space is the issue more than weight, I find I can pack my tee shirts and swimwear and possibly even the shorts in gallon-size Ziploc bags (even better if you can find larger ones). Just sit on them to get the air out while you're zipping them up -- voila, cheap compression bags that you can reuse for other purposes.

There's almost no place you can't go in a pair of (clean) shorts and tee shirt but you can always buy discount aloha shirts if you want to up the ante.

If you pick up more souvenirs than you can fit in the checked luggage, you can pick up cardboard boxes and either mail it back or check it as another item.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:18 pm
x2y

Originally Posted by Trish Paulson Walter
Yes concerned about souvenirs but we'll just limit the size now. lol.
Trish
Choose smallish things that will fit into one or two Priority Mail boxes, and ship everything home via the goold ol' United States Postal Service. You can get info on Priority Mail box sizes on usps.com.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
When we go to Hawaii, we tend to bring the minimal amount of toiletries. On Maui, Oahu and the Big Island, they have K-Marts (maybe not so many anymore) Targets, Walmarts & Longs Drug Stores. While its is Hawaii, we find that the prices for those things are not at a premium, like some food staples (Milk!) can be. Also, for a family of 5 and depending on how long you are staying, you probably can't bring enough Sunscreen to get by. You will be buying more, unless your going to live like hermits in your Hotel. So try and cram all your clothes into 1 or 2 checked bags and pick up most of your disposable stuff when you arrive. Sure, bring a small amount so you can get by for the first day or so until you can find a place for reasonable $$ purchase of that stuff.

Cheers,
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The toiletries likely need to be checked in any event unless the amounts are small enough to meet 3-1-1 rules for the checkpoint. A lot here has to do with sitting down and running some numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.