Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy to Hawaii Family of 5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Basic Economy to Hawaii Family of 5

what is cheapest I can do ...
we will have 5 carry-ons...we thought we would then take 1 big suitcase for full size toiletries...but now since we have to check even carry-ons perhaps we don't...ideas to make it least expensive...should I try to cram all clothes into 2 large suitcases [<50lbs]....

there are 5 flights! 2 there 3 back...don't want to spend $22 per person for 5 flights each to sit near each other...I thought it was worth the 'deal' to have 2 connections on way back...ha!!

feel so bad....i am such a planner and knew that southwest and allegient you had to worry about but didn't realize united etc. were now going that crappy route where you think you're getting a deal but you're not...

any help appreciated...

Trish

Last edited by Trish Paulson Walter; Jul 21, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
There is not much you can do unless there is a major schedule change and they let you do a refund, else with BE you are stuck with what you booked. Not sure how you missed it, it is very clearly and repeatedly spelled out.
You can still take a large backpack each which can fit under the seat in front of you; you can plan with that. Else checking 2 large suitcases sounds like your best bet.
Flights to Hawaii are often very full; if not you might be able to find a sympathetic agent to try and seat you together as close as possible ... but don't count on it.
Elite status is the only way I am aware of to get the carry-on bag fee waived for BE.
SteveHK, rmadisonwi and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Good to know about backpacks.

Assuming we check our bags online? WE can do large suitcases ? I guess I have to measure.

I know it's my mistake I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to best not spend $500 more on $3500 in tickets that I've already spent...you know.

It was spelled out in an email after I booked but kind of like 'there are restrictions'...and I thought..hmmm. maybe it's like Southwest with the seating...how you have to wait and get A B or C...didn't think we wouldn't be near each other [at least 2 and 2 and 1]...didn't even cross min mind about the luggage, etc. I thought only Allegiant was horrible charging $50 per suitcase.....
Then I read about it a month or so ago and thought I need to figure this out sometime...kept putting it off cause what can I do really... obviously I need to pay more attention before I book next time WHO I book with.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Trish Paulson Walter
Originally Posted by Trish Paulson Walter
we will have 5 carry-ons...we thought we would then take 1 big suitcase for full size toiletries...but now since we have to check even carry-ons perhaps we don't...ideas to make it least expensive...should I try to cram all clothes into 2 large suitcases [<50lbs]....
Check into the cost of FedEx / UPS instead of paid check luggage
UA will be $30/ first check bag per passenger, each way.

You will be the last boarding group and many times there will be no overhead space, so the one personal item you are allow will have to go under the seat in front of you

....there are 5 flights! 2 there 3 back...don't want to spend $22 per person for 5 flights each to sit near each other...I thought it was worth the 'deal' to have 2 connections on way back...ha!!
Short of spending money, you will just have to wait and see what happens. You could go about and ask people to move but will warn you in advance that will not get a positive reaction on this forum.

You may want to be careful posting, in true name, on a public forum, too much travel info and that you will be away.
narvik, Kacee, Kannai and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

Assuming we check our bags online? WE can do large suitcases ? I guess I have to measure.

I know it's my mistake I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to best not spend $500 more on $3500 in tickets that I've already spent...you know
You can check-in and pay for suitcases that are within the UA size limits. There are limits, but I have rather large ones and they are all still within. It will likely be the most economical solution
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what are my options now?? what is cheapest I can do ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As you've noted, you're basically out of options. You're going to be charged on a per-bag basis, so you want to use as few pieces of luggage as you can manage, at 50 pounds or below. Don't forget to leave room for souvenirs on the way back.

feel so bad....i am such a planner and knew that southwest and allegient you had to worry about but didn't realize united etc. were now going that crappy route where you think you're getting a deal but you're not...
Unfortunately, all of the airlines are going essentially the same route -- except for Southwest, actually. The specific restrictions differ by airline, and they really expect you to do a lot of work to educate yourself.

In this case, though, you will likely come out ahead by booking Basic Economy compared to regular economy, because you probably won't need to check 5 pieces of luggage. The price mark-up between regular and basic economy is often about the same (or sometimes more than) the cost of the first piece of checked luggage. Don't beat yourself up. You didn't get as great of a deal as you thought, but it's going to work out OK... and you're going to Hawaii.

Originally Posted by cfischer
Not sure how you missed it, it is very clearly and repeatedly spelled out.
It's easy to miss if you don't book directly through United.

Backpacks will usually not get measured unless you go way overboard -- but if you carry a handbag or purse, you'll need to put it inside the backpack or that will still count as two items.

Unless you have extremely large, lightweight items to check, you'll run into the weight limit well before you'd run into the size limit on the suitcase. The maximum size is 62 linear inches (length + width + height), which generally works out to about a 27" suitcase -- 27x19x14 is 60 linear inches.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:01 pm

How long is the trip? Can you get by with less toiletries or just buy a few things there?
Pack light. Leave half of stuff your were planning to take at home, you won't miss it. Two 50 lbs bags each ($ 120 total)and 5 backpacks full is a lot to lug around.
Check in at T 24 and keep checking for open seats.
Make sure your kids download the united app. so they can watch movies on the tablets.
Relax and enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a little unclear, but presuming that those really are connections and thus each passenger is on a single ticket, it will only cost $30 to check a bag in each direction, not per segment. As there are 5 of you, you may each check a bag for $30. If you had to check 2 bags, that would be a total of $120 for the 2 bags round-trip.
jsloan, LAXOGG and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All.

Appreciate the tips. We are measuring our big bags now to see if we can do 2 bags + 5 backpacks. Yes concerned about souvenirs but we'll just limit the size now. lol.

Great tip for luggage, downloading app and checking in at 24 hours...so helpful.

Trish
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Unfortunately, all of the airlines are going essentially the same route -- except for Southwest, actually. The specific restrictions differ by airline, and they really expect you to do a lot of work to educate yourself. .
OP:

(a) sorry about your situation. I find BE to be a horrible thing. In my case I have elite status, but to use it, I have to pay more for my ticket. So I don't just lose my carry on bag, I lose a decent seat and my elite benefits. So there is now two levels of pricing, once for those who are going to get nothing from UA to start with, the other for those of us who would like to use the elite benefits that "we earned". But

(b) while some may say "everyone does this" as in a lot of customer facing things, UA is positively the most crappy UA airline. If you buy a BE on Delta, you can bring your roll-on bag for free. I.e. Delta would not have made you check your carry-on, charging you $30 each way. If you buy BE on American, you can bring your roll-on bag for free. And note that this is a change, they initially made you pay like UA, but it was so customer unfriendly they ended up losing business, and changed the policy. If you fly Alaska, even on the BE fare (which is hard to find) you can bring your roll-on bag for free. If you fly Hawaiian, well they are adding a BE fare, but like Delta, American, and Alaska will allow you to bring on a roll-away suitcase (22").

So United, as in many things, is the most cruddy, worst, most money grabbing United States flagged carrier, when it comes to Basic Economy fare.

and P.s. I do not mean this as an endorsement of American Airlines, which is becoming a truly wretched carrier, rolling out seats and airplanes that are - hard to believe, but true - actually worse than what United offers - but at least they don't charge you to take a bag on the plane with BE.
Auto Enthusiast and Kannai like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. good tips.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Use a hard sided golf bag holder for your golf clubs!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

questions. If you check a bag you can check-in online.

Is this worth the $300 for all 5 of us to check bags? Would we have a better shot at some sitting together?

Or is there no benefit other than no line?

Can we still upgrade to regular Economy? If so, would we be allowed seat assignments and bags? Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
. If you check a bag you can check-in online. ...
BE customers (non-elites / non-credit cardholders) have to check-in in-person.

.Is this worth the $300 for all 5 of us to check bags? ...
Only you can answer that.
.Would we have a better shot at some sitting together? ...
No, but as check-in the bags, try to see what you can do about seating.
....Or is there no benefit other than no line? ...
BE customers (non-elites / non-credit cardholders) have to check-in in-person.

...Can we still upgrade to regular Economy? ...
No, But you may be able to purchase advance seat assignment. too late to do anything about bags
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
questions. If you check a bag you can check-in online. Is this worth the $300 for all 5 of us to check bags? Would we have a better shot at some sitting together? Or is there no benefit other than no line?
No benefit other than no line, and depending on your departure point, you'll have some kind of line, long or short, to deposit your bags in any case (unless you drop them off curbside). I'd plan on being scattered throughout the plane in middle seats. One of the great curses of BE and more than one traveler.

Can we still upgrade to regular Economy? If so, would we be allowed seat assignments and bags? Thanks.
Looks like no, according to others with more knowledge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.