Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issues / Experiences using Aeromar (VW) on UA ticket

Issues / Experiences using Aeromar (VW) on UA ticket

Old Aug 1, 17, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Unable to book codeshare VW/Aeromar flight

I'm seeing a VW/Aeromar flight on their website GDL-ZLO and you can book on their site

https://www.aeromar.com.mx/nuevos

https://act.havail.sabresonicweb.com...execution=e1s1

However I can't book a codeshare flight IAH-GDL-ZLO and I don't see the VW flight on Google flights either. Any idea on when this would be available for booking? Maybe August 9 since that is when the route begins?

Last edited by slickvik; Aug 1, 17 at 2:21 pm
Old Aug 1, 17, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Aeromar is VW, not VX.

Beyond that, no guarantee that UA will have a codeshare on it at all. I also do not see the GDL-ZLO Aeromar flight in Google Flights so that's not going to help you out.
Old Aug 1, 17, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Aeromar is VW, not VX.

Beyond that, no guarantee that UA will have a codeshare on it at all. I also do not see the GDL-ZLO Aeromar flight in Google Flights so that's not going to help you out.
Thanks, I agree it's weirder that it's not on Google Flights. Maybe once the flight starts it will show up there. The airline seems to use Sabre so it should show up eventually, if not there then ITA Matrix.
Old Aug 14, 17, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Google flights/ITA matrix is showing GDL-ZLO on only September 16, which I guess is a good sign. Hopefully soon the rest of the calendar fills out since it's a daily flight that started 5 days ago.
Old Jan 5, 18, 11:46 am

Programs: UA
Little Information about Changing Planes to Aeromar on 016 ticket

I was wondering if there was a site or place to get information when someone is changing planes to partner carrier when the change takes place in another country?

Last week I flew on 016 ticket stock from IAH-GDL-PVR, with the GDL-PVR leg being on Aeromar. I asked United in Houston what the process was with the bags (do I take them through customs, do I check in again at Aeromar's desk in GDL, etc.? No one knew and instructed me to simply ask in GDL. When we got to GDL, no one knew what to do. So I waited at the baggage carosel to see if my bag would appear. it did, then I picked it up and walked through customs with it. At the end of customs there is a belt with a sign in Spanish saying "Equipaje en Conexion". But no one was at the belt. So I tried to ask someone but couldn't find anyone. I then decided "screw it, I'll just take the bag to the Aeromar check in desk". I did so and then met three couples from my flight. None of them had picked up their bags in customs. Turned out I had made the correct guess and they hadn't (started a scramble to get back into customs to get bags etc.). Eventually it was sorted, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Either way, it seems to me that if United is going to sell 016 tickets that involve connections, that they should have information as to what to do on that connection. Or at least make it more easily accessible. Maybe I missed the notification (so did a couple of 1ks).

Anyone know of any resource for future interline travel on 016 stock?
Old Jan 5, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
There are only two possible factors with the bags:

(a) were they tagged through to PVR? If not, you definitely have to collect in GDL.
(b) if they were tagged through to PVR, does Mexico require all inbound bags to be collected at customs upon the first point of entry into the country (like the US does [with rare exception])? If so, you have to collect. If not, then you don't.
Old Jan 5, 18, 1:48 pm

No airline really provides this information. United doesn't want to have to keep up with airport procedures at hundreds of airports in hundreds of countries. That would be a bit unreasonable (and with United trying it, unreliable). I've been travelling internationally for almost 30 years on a plethora of domestic and international airlines and what you're pointing out is not unique to United. The answer to ask at GDL is entirely appropriate. The problem was lack of staff at GDL. Once you get a bit more travel under your belt, you'll get the hang of it. Glad you made the right choice.

Usually, you pick up your bags for customs purposes at port of entry of your destination country. That's a good starting assumption.
Old Jan 5, 18, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
No airline really provides this information.
Indeed -- it's part of the role of a travel agent. The rise of self-service travel means that travelers need to do their own research ahead of time if they want to be prepared. In this case, my advice to OP would have been to look up the procedures for international to domestic connections at GDL before departing. If a search failed to turn up the information, I imagine FlyerTalk's Mexico board could have done so.

I'm glad it worked out, but I think that's the lesson for next time.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 5, 18, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And, procedural announcements are often made when landing, along the lines of "when connecting to another flight at GDL, you will need to pick up your bags at baggage claim, and there will be a drop off belt after you clear customs." I hear this all then time when landing at US airports.
Old Sep 7, 18, 7:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Baggage Fees on Aerormar when booked as part of a UA Ticket

Hi There,

I have a ticket booked SFO-MEX-OAX. MEX-OAX is on Aeromar. It's all on one United booked ticket, but there is a full overnight in Mexico city. The UA flight gets us there in the evening, we're spending the night at the airport Courtyard Marriott, and then we'll continue on to OAX. When I bring my bags back to get checked to the Aeromar desk, will they know not to charge me for checked baggage due to Premier status? Or will they hold my checked bags overnight that I checked for free on the SFO-MEX flight? Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 18, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
When I bring my bags back to get checked to the Aeromar desk, will they know not to charge me for checked baggage due to Premier status? Or will they hold my checked bags overnight that I checked for free on the SFO-MEX flight? Thanks!
Likely neither. Your premier baggage allowance won't apply for check-in with Aeromar, and it's unlikely that you'll get UA to check the bags through on an overnight transfer; it's against their policy, and frankly I wouldn't want my bags sitting around overnight at an airport anyway, as it's a recipe for a mishandled bag.

If you can get them checked all the way through to OAX, you should be able to drop them off for no fee, but in the more likely scenario that UA will only check them through to MEX, you'll be given the better of UA's non-status allowance on a US-Mexico flight or Aeromar's allowance.
Old Sep 7, 18, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
...When I bring my bags back to get checked to the Aeromar desk, will they know not to charge me for checked baggage due to Premier status?...
You don’t get “free bags” because of your status. You get a waiver of bag fees at United counters. Subtle, but important difference. Since you’re not checking them in w/ United, normal bag charges may apply.
Old Sep 8, 18, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
what does the ticket receipt say re: baggage fees? This is what should apply.
Old Sep 8, 18, 3:09 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
DOT rules state that for all check ins on the same ticket you get the baggage allowance and fees of the First Marketing Carrier (UA). However elite status benefits do not carry over to other airlines unless there’s a partnership agreement to do so.

So so for your Aeromar check-in you get UA”s non-elite allowance (zero, 1st checked bag $30). That’s unless I’ve missed a partnership between UA and Aeromar.

My common example is when I fly to India. Outbound PDX-EWR-BOM all UA I get 3 bags @32kg. But returning BLR(9W)-DEL(UA)-EWR-PDX, checking in with Jet Airways, I get the non-elite long haul allowance of 1 bag @23kg. If I return BLR(LH)-FRA(UA)-SFO-PDX, checking in with Lufthansa, I get the Star Alliance Gold benefit of 2 bags @23kg.

Edit - jsloan’s answwr that you’ll likely be charged the lesser of the UA or Aeromar fees is more accurate. A downline carrier is free to charge their fee if it’s less than the FMC. They cannot charge more fees, nor apply a lower free allowance, to the FMC’s non-elite rules.

Last edited by usbusinesstraveller; Sep 8, 18 at 3:25 am
Old Sep 12, 18, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Gold
Last year I flew LAX-CUN-MID UA-to-VW (on a single ticket with no overnight, just a 2-hour connection) and the UA CSR in LAX naturally checked the bags through to MID. However, there is no bag drop facility in CUN after clearing CIQ, so I schlepped the bags to VW's terminal and the first thing they did was rip off the UA bag tags. There were some hushed conversations and consulting of manuals before they advised me that I could check the bags for free, leading me to believe it was not a "sure thing."

Search this Thread