Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How is the stock for the ticket determined?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite

Chasing 1K for next year and need all the PQD's I can get.

When my travel agent books my flight, if I fly United on the first leg domestically, but then board a BR flight to Asia, will the ticket be issued on 016 stock?

How is that determined? Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for your response.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If purchased via united.com, it will always be 016 UA ticket stock.

If purchased via a TA, they are "required" to follow IATA rules (unless they have an exception) and that generally means ticketing on the ticket stock of the marketing carrier for the first longe haul segment (switching IATA Zones or first international segment).

The rules are fairly detailed but in the case you described, it would be BR and therefore would not earn PQDs.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If purchased via united.com, it will also be 016 UA ticket stock.

If purchased via a TA, they are "required" to follow IATA rules (unless they have an exception) and that generally means ticketing on the ticket stock of the fcarrierfor the first longe haul segment. That would be BR in your example and therefore would not earn PQDs.
Thanks WineCountry. If only I could buy all of my work travel on United.com. It would be cheaper and I would benefit more!
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:50 pm

Can you negotiate with your TA? Fly me out of SFO on UA, and I’ll pay my own way to/from SFO.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Can you negotiate with your TA? Fly me out of SFO on UA, and I’ll pay my own way to/from SFO.
Absolutely. But I was thinking more for the future. I love flying BR, but there isn't a way to really do it and keep my UA status up. So I will take UA SFO to TPE and pick up shorter BR flights.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
When traveling to a European or India destination not served non-stop on UA from EWR, I'll usually connect through FRA to LH. I prefer taking the LH 748 vs the UA 781. On my corporate travel portal I can see both the LH flight and the UA code share. I'm assuming that the UA code share means 016 ticket stock, and therefore PQD's. Unfortunately just about every time I've considered this, the UA code share is more expensive than the LH ticketed flight, and understandably I have to go with the LH ticketed one.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
When traveling to a European or India destination not served non-stop on UA from EWR, I'll usually connect through FRA to LH. I prefer taking the LH 748 vs the UA 781. On my corporate travel portal I can see both the LH flight and the UA code share. I'm assuming that the UA code share means 016 ticket stock, and therefore PQD's. Unfortunately just about every time I've considered this, the UA code share is more expensive than the LH ticketed flight, and understandably I have to go with the LH ticketed one.
I see this too with the ANA code share from EWR. Cheaper flight, no PQD's.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Many carriers, including BR, restrict their cheapest fares to their ticket stock. It's call "plating" or ticket stock restrictions.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Many carriers, including BR, restrict their cheapest fares to their ticket stock. It's call "plating" or ticket stock restrictions.
As long as they print it on their own official card stock with their own logo and graphics, they can charge whatever they want. I collect those
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately just about every time I've considered this, the UA code share is more expensive than the LH ticketed flight, and understandably I have to go with the LH ticketed one.
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
I see this too with the ANA code share from EWR. Cheaper flight, no PQD's.
When discussing JV routes like these two, fare differences are usually are due to inventory differences on the codeshare vs the native flight number. There's not much you can do about that except hope to fly on a day where the inventory is in your favor.

OP: It is going to be extremely difficult / impossible to ticket (paid) long-haul BR flights on 016 ticket stock. BR doesn't allow it.

Note that both AA and DL will give you qualifying dollars for partner flights on non-AA/DL ticket stock...
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I'm assuming that the UA code share means 016 ticket stock, and therefore PQD's.
Correct, the outbound TATL being UA-coded LH-operated will trigger a 016 ticket. Return can be on LH code ... does not matter.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Another question along these lines.

I need to grab a Copa flight out of PTY and it also operates as a UA code share. It will be on a 016 ticket and it will be the only non-UA metal portion of the itinerary.

I know it will earn PQM's and PQD's, but which would earn more...the UA code share flight or an actual Copa flight? Does it matter?

Last edited by AsiaTravel2019; Jul 20, 2019 at 4:52 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Another question along these lines.

I need to grab a Copa flight out of PTY and it also operates as a UA code share. It will be on a 016 ticket and it will be the only non-UA metal portion of the itinerary.

I know it will earn PQM's and PQD's, but which would earn more...the UA code share flight or an actual Copa flight? Does it matter?
does not matter on a 016 ticket.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*A / MileagePlus rules are for the flight to be credited based upon the operating airline, always. Codeshares don't matter (except when it comes to being able to ticket it on 016 stock).
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Codeshares matter in that one must map fare classes across carriers.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.