Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Class Priority

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:03 pm

Also remember my understanding is (and maybe i’m Wrong) but that is fare class priority— but GS will clear into a buck that opens— so you could be on a Y fare and a GS could be on a W fare and theoretically the GS will clear first
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If a flight segment is not offering PP, then no (O/A/R). But if other segments are offering PP, then you can get a PP fare but your non-PP segments will be B fare (at least on UA operated flights)
With the caveat that you can't buy a cheap R fare on a transoceanic flight that doesn't have a PE cabin, hoping to end up in B and have a high upgrade chance. The PE cabin has to exist on at least one of the legs.

Originally Posted by jp12687
Also remember my understanding is (and maybe i’m Wrong) but that is fare class priority— but GS will clear into a buck that opens— so you could be on a Y fare and a GS could be on a W fare and theoretically the GS will clear first
There are a lot of nuances, but, yes, in general, cabin (PE vs Y) comes first, then status, and then fare class. However, of those, cabin / fare class are the only ones that someone can easily control.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
With the caveat that you can't buy a cheap R fare on a transoceanic flight that doesn't have a PE cabin, hoping to end up in B and have a high upgrade chance. The PE cabin has to exist on at least one of the legs.

There are a lot of nuances, but, yes, in general, cabin (PE vs Y) comes first, then status, and then fare class. However, of those, cabin / fare class are the only ones that someone can easily control.
A GS one y would still clear before a silver on PE though right? Due to clearing to a different fare class?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A GS one y would still clear before a silver on PE though right? Due to clearing to a different fare class?
Prior to the day of departure, anyone on a GS instrument would have PN access, yes. On the day of departure, it's not clear, but I suspect that it would still work the same way. GS can get funky because it's not a published status level so it sometimes gets left out of the documentation.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If a flight segment is not offering PP, then no (O/A/R). But if other segments are offering PP, then you can get a PP fare but your non-PP segments will be B fare (at least on UA operated flights)

This is causing even more headaches

I applied a GPU and then on the DOMESTIC legs PN >1 and my upgrade didn't clear (YBM instant up) until I had them remove the GPU from that leg

Evidently the computer isn't smart enough to figure out that if you are eligible for a normal CPU, a YBM instant up and a GPU upgrade which one takes PN bucket and which one takes PZ bucket and apply whichever one opens first (I realize this will 99.999999% of the time be PN) so i went thru and had them remove the GPU from all my domestic YBM fares.

Talking battlefield here - not 2 weeks prior when PN >1 etc
No, a Silver on an R fare with a GPU will clear to Polaris Business before a GS on a Y fare with a GPU - That GS may even get the Silvers seat in PE

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 19, 2019 at 11:10 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Evidently the computer isn't smart enough to figure out that if you are eligible for a normal CPU, a YBM instant up and a GPU upgrade which one takes PN bucket and which one takes PZ bucket and apply whichever one opens first (I realize this will 99.999999% of the time be PN) so i went thru and had them remove the GPU from all my domestic YBM fares....
Correct an issue for 1Ks, more in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...does-work.html
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I applied a GPU and then on the DOMESTIC legs PN >1 and my upgrade didn't clear (YBM instant up) until I had them remove the GPU from that leg

Evidently the computer isn't smart enough to figure out that if you are eligible for a normal CPU, a YBM instant up and a GPU upgrade which one takes PN bucket and which one takes PZ bucket and apply whichever one opens first (I realize this will 99.999999% of the time be PN) so i went thru and had them remove the GPU from all my domestic YBM fares.
Yes, that is the standard advice here, don't apply the instrument to the domestic segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.