Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How can a flight attendant disappear (last minute no show)? UA146 IAD- EDI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Marriott Gold

So UA 146 was 3 hours late due to a delayed inbound to Newark from Denver , which delayed the Newark to IAD, and then, right as we started to board they announced they were short a flight attendant and, at 1 am had to wake someone up and get them to come to work! How does that happen at a major hub? Is no one on standby?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCLoppy
at 1 am had to wake someone up and get them to come to work! How does that happen at a major hub? Is no one on standby?
Not at 1am
PTahCha and am1108 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Even if there was someone on standby at the airport it's possible that they needed 2 people (Or however were available +1), either for your flight, or for multiple flights.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCLoppy
So UA 146 was 3 hours late due to a delayed inbound to Newark from Denver , which delayed the Newark to IAD, and then, right as we started to board they announced they were short a flight attendant and, at 1 am had to wake someone up and get them to come to work! How does that happen at a major hub? Is no one on standby?
I doubt that the flight attendant went missing. It's possible that someone fell ill on the previous flight, but, IMO, it's more likely that one of them timed out due to the delays. Presumably, they thought they would be able to get the flight off while that FA was legal, but they had one too many delays.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Marriott Gold
The announcement was “missing one crew” - the gate agent said that the crew only noticed when they went to board- and I did see a lot of confusion when the crew arrived. And it was not a time out condition. I would understand if it was at a smaller United location, but IAD is a big hub.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:13 am

Odd. The crew would have started in IAD or maybe a deadhead inbound as this is a short trans-Atlantic. Sounds like a late sick call or delayed/canceled inbound commuter who get it too close and crew scheduling dropped the ball. Just a theory.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought this thread was about a flight attendant disappeared inflight.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:21 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet. ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
nancypants and felix_5000 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
I thought this thread was about a flight attendant disappeared inflight.
me too, but I thought maybe got lost in the galley
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by fotographer
me too, but I thought maybe got lost in the galley
Me too, I thought this thread was about FA disappearing after meal service, lack of drink refills, not clearing plates, usual UA complaints, blah blah
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:03 am

With all the bad press / reviews UA constantly receives, this is a rather minor mishap. Still a major orginasational flaw.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Me too, I thought this thread was about FA disappearing after meal service, lack of drink refills, not clearing plates, usual UA complaints, blah blah
not to be mean to FA across all the airlines.. we need to had playing candy crush
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by chuck1
Odd. The crew would have started in IAD or maybe a deadhead inbound as this is a short trans-Atlantic. Sounds like a late sick call or delayed/canceled inbound commuter who get it too close and crew scheduling dropped the ball. Just a theory.
If it was Wednesday, it sure could have been a logistical issue for the FA. When I arrived in CLE that evening, I noticed everything going to the Washington area was canceled due to weather... even UAs flights and they generally go even if AA isn't.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't try to parse the language used by a random GA or FA. They are not testifying in court under oath, simply conveying the fact that the flight is delayed. Whether the FA in question was abducted by an alien spaceship or became ill, timed out, got in an accident enroute to the airport or any number of other things is irrelevant and also not the type of information which is any of the GA's business, so she likely did not know.

Of course UA has FA's on standby at EWR, but not that many and not at 01:00. If they have 2 and a third one is needed, callout is the only option.

Everybody gets bad press here and there, but ask yourself whether, if you were the crew scheduler and making a presentation to the Board, you could make the business case to pay crews to standby for every eventuality. Same thing with aircraft. There are backups, but only so many.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Whether the FA in question was abducted by an alien spaceship or became ill, timed out, got in an accident enroute to the airport or any number of other things is irrelevant.
If it were one of these options, I would expect this thread to go in a very different direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.