Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what's the deal with people in exit row who say "NO" when asked by UA flight attendan

what's the deal with people in exit row who say "NO" when asked by UA flight attendan

Old Jul 18, 19, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by nookanaya View Post
I've always thought it would be interesting if there were such a thing as an exit-row safety certification. I know that would be wildly impractical to implement and it's not solving a problem that people think exists today. Still, I wouldn't mind having an opportunity to practice opening an exit, laying it correctly across the seats if it's not attached, and getting off a wing.
Hmmm..... I like it.

I don't think its impractical at all.... I kind of have this vision of CPR or AED certification classes, internet videos, short test, etc. It is the actual door removal that would be tougher to duplicate.

Absolutely more bugs to work out but it would be priceless if it came to fruition.
Old Jul 18, 19, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
Maybe early 40's, slightly above average weight, business traveler. I don't think he was a GS companion.
someone alerted me to a YouTube video of a similar guy actively refusing to be in the exit row seat on British Airways Boeing 737 on a domestic US flight within California.

Last edited by geometry; Jul 18, 19 at 1:56 pm
Old Jul 18, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
Hmmm..... I like it.

I don't think its impractical at all.... I kind of have this vision of CPR or AED certification classes, internet videos, short test, etc. It is the actual door removal that would be tougher to duplicate.

Absolutely more bugs to work out but it would be priceless if it came to fruition.
True, creating a class would be relatively easy. I was thinking more in terms of any policies that required or even encouraged having one or more certified people in an exit row, and how you would tie certification to PNRs.

BA does have a safety course than you can take for 135 pounds. It sounds like a lot of fun, but one big downside of course is that you still have to get on a BA flight (just one that doesn't go anywhere).
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:05 pm

I experienced the opposite problem on a lightly-loaded BA flight a few years ago. There was nobody sitting in one of the exit rows so the FA had to find someone willing to move there who also had the necessary English language and physical capability qualifications. I must look fit for my age, as I was the person asked, even though I was in my mid-seventies at the time. As is usual, my possible over-confidence in my abilities was not put to the test.
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:11 pm

Originally posted by geometry:

someone alerted me to a YouTube video of a similar guy actively refusing to be in the exit row seat on British Airways Boeing 737 on a domestic US flight within California.
Odd. US law would not permit BA to fly domestic routes anywhere in the USA, and even as an add-on to an international flight, I have never heard of them operating a 737 across the Atlantic.
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RGS5526 View Post
Odd. US law would not permit BA to fly domestic routes anywhere in the USA, and even as an add-on to an international flight, I have never heard of them operating a 737 across the Atlantic.
Ummmm.... Do a quick lookup on "Larry David."
chavala likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by RGS5526 View Post
Did you even watch the video?

Side note, it is a BA plane in the old livery (assuming stock footage), but the interior looks to be shot on a 80/90's UA seats.

Originally Posted by nookanaya View Post
how you would tie certification to PNRs.
Seems it would be as easy as tying a FF# or KTN #
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geometry View Post
someone alerted me to a YouTube video of a similar guy actively refusing to be in the exit row seat on British Airways Boeing 737 on a domestic US flight within California. ...
Just so we don't get off track -- that is a Curb Your Enthusiasm TV comedy skit and not a real event. hence the numerous errors

Like most others, I have never heard a passenger decline, although I have experienced a non-English speaking passenger be moved.

This was two anomalous events, although statistical unlikely, that occurred. But with BE and standby passengers on full planes, someone could be put in an exit row that would prefer not to be. The passenger at the gate reader had to acknowledge the exit row seating and then again on the plane. Amble opportunities to op-out.

This week I had a last minutes passenger place in the middle seat of an exit row -- did not like the middle seat but that was it on this packed plane. Would have changed if there was a non-middle seat.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 18, 19 at 2:40 pm Reason: wrong show
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by geometry View Post
https://youtu.be/ZQyaoTVM2bQ?t=1
With United interior!
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Just so we don't get off track -- that is a Seinfeld TV comedy skit and not a real event. hence the numerous errors
Sorry to nitpik.... it was Curb Your Enthusuasm
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Did you even watch the video?

Side note, it is a BA plane in the old livery (assuming stock footage), but the interior looks to be shot on a 80/90's UA seats.
With WAY more room between Economy rows than any flight I've ever taken in the past 40+ years. If you watched the video, it would have been obvious 1) this was a comedy sketch and 2) it was filmed on a set rather than actually inside an aircraft.
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sorry to nitpik.... it was Curb Your Enthusuasm
correct the Seinfeld spinoff
jhayes_1780 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 3:18 pm

I was on a flight and the lady sitting in the exit row was totally immersed in her music when the FA asked the exit row questions. After a few rounds of "huh? what?", the FA forced her to swap a seat. The passenger seemed to be quite unhappy and cursed.
Old Jul 18, 19, 4:07 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Since I got a little status the exit row is a perk, I'd of course in the event of an event open the door, but to be clear, don't expect me to not be first out

How let's turn the tables around, what will the FA response be if my mom who is 87 asks a more senior of the FA to put her luggage in the overhead?
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
.... How let's turn the tables around, what will the FA response be if my mom who is 87 asks a more senior of the FA to put her luggage in the overhead?
UA FA's are told not to do this, although some will.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Search this Thread