Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Amenity Kit Survey Questions - Makes Me Think They Are Trying To Cut It

Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:49 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Just took the Amenity Kit related survey. Many of the questions that were asked in the first half of the survey make me think they were looking for an excuse to cut the kits. The Q/A was like:
What did you think of the amenity kit on your last Polaris flight?
a. I did not think it was valuable.
b. It was nice to have.
c. going to use it post flight
d. I used it inflight
e. going to keep it as a souvenir
f. I didn't care either way

Wish I remembered to take a screenshot of all the questions and answers, but I got the distinct impression the question were designed to see how Polaris passengers would feel about amenity kits being axed.

Last edited by seat38a; Jul 17, 2019 at 12:12 am
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seat38a
Just look the Amenity Kit related survey. Many of the questions that were asked in the first half of the survey make me think they were looking for an excuse to cut the kits. The Q/A was like:
What did you think of the amenity kit on your last Polaris flight?
a. I did not think it was valuable.
b. It was nice to have.
c. going to use it post flight
d. I used it inflight
e. going to keep it as a souvenir
f. I didn't care either way

Wish I remembered to take a screenshot of all the questions and answers, but I got the distinct impression the question were designed to see how Polaris passengers would feel about amenity kits being axed.
We should start a contest to see how much longer it lasts. I give it 6 months, tops.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I rely on the socks - although am not a midget so found the last set too small but fortunately Spiderman socks are larger. I like and use the Polaris eyeshades but not the thin Spiderman version. I always use the earplugs but do not reuse that particular item. I like and use the tissues, pen and toothbrush and toothpaste. My last couple of times the Polaris lounge has not had toothpaste and toothbrush so used the Amenity kit. I wish they would add deodorant to the Amenity kit.

I never use the moisturizer or lip balm or hand cream but donate them to shelters after flights.

I enjoyed the recent PP amenity kit.

Hope they do not remove them and if they do they give prior notice so I can bring past supplies with me although will struggle for the toothbrush/toothpaste and no longer work where I can pick up a set of earplugs.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:28 am

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
So, in theory, I think the amenity kits are great to have... but if we're being honest, most of the stuff in there goes unused. Personally, I always use the tissue, lip balm, and socks... and I take the bag itself since I get so much secondary use out of them *(when they aren't lame metal tins). That said, I liked the cowshed lip balm better... and the last time I used the socks, I couldn't get them on because of how snug they were. So....
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:34 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

So here's one question I remembered to snag a screenshot of. Pretty much the last half of the survey they asked which amenity kit variation I like better. The same content in different combination and bag type. Personally, I would rather that the bag be something practical like what Swiss did or still does(don't know.) I 2017 when I flew with them, the amenity kit bag converted into a shopping bag. I still use them. All the United tins and pleather, are long gone into the trash.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:47 am

So here's one question I remembered to snag a screenshot of. Pretty much the last half of the survey they asked which amenity kit variation I like better. The same content in different combination and bag type. Personally, I would rather that the bag be something practical like what Swiss did or still does(don't know.) I 2017 when I flew with them, the amenity kit bag converted into a shopping bag. I still use them. All the United tins and pleather, are long gone into the trash.
We still have all our UA mesh bags and golf bags, and will use them until they fall apart.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
The answer to all of this is to offer those items "a la carte" on demand... or set out a larger basket with a variety of those items for pax to come and get what they need to use.

At last count I think I found 8 mostly unused kits at my house. I need to give them away.
drewguy, ajGoes and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Collierkr
The answer to all of this is to offer those items "a la carte" on demand... or set out a larger basket with a variety of those items for pax to come and get what they need to use.

At last count I think I found 8 mostly unused kits at my house. I need to give them away.
Agreed. I know United recycles the kits left behind, but each Polaris flight is creating a lot of waste. Thereís gotta be a more eco friendly way while still providing the amenities to those who want them. I only ever use the eye mask and earplugs and toothbrush, and thatís only when Iíve forgotten mine.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:57 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I see this as a precursor to an a la carte system like (I think) they do on transcons. A basket of eye shades, a basket of lip balm, etc. Less waste, people take what they need, and ultimately, UA looks cheaper than ever.
rch4u, artvandalay and ATLintheair like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

it would be better if they let me choose as I like #1 for the items especially the floss! But also want ear plugs and socks (as well as slippers)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
As long as they never have another tin, Iíll deal with whatever they do. Aside from the 747 tins (because, 747) any tin amenity kit is guaranteed waste from me.

I almost always use the lip balm, earplugs, moisturizer (sometimes), and dental kit for a single use. I use the eyemask frequently, but not every time. Socks, sometimes. Rarely use the mints or miniature pen, never use the tissues.

I am a fan of the spot stain remover in the more recent kits, and I miss the comb. I canít remember if thereís a flosser in the current kit but I like having one.

If United stocked Polaris lavs with things like combs, flossers, dental kits, etc., as do a number of foreign carriers, I could see reducing the size of the full amenity kits. Eliminating them altogether is a missed opportunity for some sort of meaningful keepsake (however small) to create a good association with the product/brand. Granted, United doesnít often hit the mark with the amenity kits, and when they do, they seem to be promptly replaced with a co-brand marketing gimmick like Spider-Man (I actually like them) or one of the crappy tins.
Kannai, nancypants and ATLintheair like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Slippers AND socks. Donít make it either/or

The UA slippers are quite good actually.

The amenity kit is valued. So what if less than 100% use them completely

on my last two flights there were far fewer spidey kits to discard - my kids are thankful
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I see this as a precursor to an a la carte system like (I think) they do on transcons. A basket of eye shades, a basket of lip balm, etc. Less waste, people take what they need, and ultimately, UA looks cheaper than ever.
I'm definitely of two minds on this. It would feel outrageously cheap to switch to an a la carte system and I would be disappointed. However, I always travel with my favorite amenity kit bag (for me it's the leather pouch) stuffed with the accumulated "best" stuff and a few things of my own - I suspect most seasoned travelers do the same. After the fourth or fifth flight, you really don't need an amenity kit each time.

But then, most of my personal kit started on a plane, so...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:39 am

Why not do both - both a la carte amenities but also a la carte empty amenity kit bags/cases/tins to fill if you wish
katycab likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by findark
It would feel outrageously cheap to switch to an a la carte system and I would be disappointed. However, I always travel with my favorite amenity kit bag.
I keep those things for years. I use them to take meds or small grooming items on the road, store foreign currency, organize small office-supply stuff in my briefcase, hold charging cords and adapters, etc., etc. Because of those kits, the DL, CX, AF, AY, etc. brands stick around my home and office physically for a long time -- persistent reminders of good trips and the airlines responsible. If UA doesn't want to complete in that headspace / recall derby, fine.
drowelf likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.