Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Amenity Kit Survey Questions - Makes Me Think They Are Trying To Cut It

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amenity Kit Survey Questions - Makes Me Think They Are Trying To Cut It

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:45 am

Where is the survey located?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I see this as a precursor to an a la carte system like (I think) they do on transcons.
I am curious what a la carte system on the transcons? I assume you mean between EWR/BOS/SFO/LAX? Last trip I took SFO > EWR up front we received an amenity envelope, which IMHO just reeked of cheapness!

SAP
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think competitive pressure will prevent them from doing away with the kit entirely. Pretty much everyone except SQ offers a kit these days.

I've been doing lots of long-haul the past two years, and with the exception of the BR and EK kits, I mostly just leave them on the aircraft, as they just tend to pile up at home. CX has a nice eyeshade.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The survey screenshot above gives me the impression someone has decided kits should contain at most five items. I hope that inference is wrong.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by villox

Agreed. I know United recycles the kits left behind, but each Polaris flight is creating a lot of waste. There’s gotta be a more eco friendly way while still providing the amenities to those who want them. I only ever use the eye mask and earplugs and toothbrush, and that’s only when I’ve forgotten mine.
A la carte would be great, until someone decides they need 10 tooth brushes or combs. I suppose they could do it like snack baskets in domestic F and come by with the options, because an FA's glare as you take 4 eyeshades probably is enough to discourage things.

I like the kits, and save them for future use, though I toss the socks and eyeshades (except when they're good - the polaris ones are an improvement over the older versions).
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
I keep those things for years. I use them to take meds or small grooming items on the road, store foreign currency, organize small office-supply stuff in my briefcase, hold charging cords and adapters, etc., etc. Because of those kits, the DL, CX, AF, AY, etc. brands stick around my home and office physically for a long time -- persistent reminders of good trips and the airlines responsible. If UA doesn't want to complete in that headspace / recall derby, fine.

Bingo. As well as using some of the items in the kit (Socks/Balm/Eye Mask) I always evaluate the bag itself for its reuse capabilities. My wife loves a the clam shell style zipper bags we got a few years ago. They are great for corralling the various unguents my lady needs while travelling. I have a couple of different ones for my travelling meds and all those little electronic dodads you need to carry around today. They are great for keeping all the small stuff organized in both my computer and carry on bag. If the container style is one I like, I've even snagged extras ones abandoned in folks seats as we disembark.

The most worthless ones I found were the tins and those huge book style ones that were used in the beginning of the Polaris Days. Out of the half-dozen or so of those I only kept 1 or 2.
BearX220 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:55 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
I am curious what a la carte system on the transcons? I assume you mean between EWR/BOS/SFO/LAX? Last trip I took SFO > EWR up front we received an amenity envelope, which IMHO just reeked of cheapness!

SAP
That's why I said, "I think"...Don't do many transcons anymore, but when I did, they passed around a basket...Apparently those days are gone.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Collierkr
The answer to all of this is to offer those items "a la carte" on demand... or set out a larger basket with a variety of those items for pax to come and get what they need to use.

At last count I think I found 8 mostly unused kits at my house. I need to give them away.
The issue IMO with a la carte, is not only is that more work for FAs, but when you get to passengers like myself who will want everything they put in the kits now, so I'm going to be handed 6 items and I don't have place to put them unless they make 'goodie bags' out of it, but now I've just traded a nice bag for more single use plastic. I also am one of those who enjoy having all the different bags from carriers, and reuse several of them.

Originally Posted by fumje
The survey screenshot above gives me the impression someone has decided kits should contain at most five items. I hope that inference is wrong.
Those screenshot kits sound like what most carriers are giving away. I haven't flown Polaris but since I like amenity kits I've looked at eBay -- those Cowshed branded ones had a ton of stuff, I was impressed.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
We still get heavy use from the PMUA drawstring bags. Zero weight and flexible. The mesh zips are also utilitarian. Spidey bags are a tad bulkier but not bad. If you want to save the environment don’t fly. A couple of amenities isn’t the end of the world.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
This is probably a conjoint study where they present loads of random options to loads of people and then use statistical analysis to determine which components are most impactful.
superEGO likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I don't see how United could compete with other airlines' premium cabin services without an amenity bag. Naturally, they'd like to do away with waste, but I tend to think their motivation for the survey is to make the amenities better, and not only to justify doing away with them.

Although my All Nippon (ANA) experiences are now 4+ years old, they've offered a nice a la carte basket in the premium cabins on longer international routes. They had some nice options, such as the aromatherapy sleep pack (smelled terrific, but I seriously doubt it worked).
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
We still get heavy use from the PMUA drawstring bags.
Note to UA, if you are listening: The only Amenity Kit container I have ever used after the initial flight is a drawstring LH bag I got in F about a decade ago. I continue to use it to this day. It's design allows me to stuff it with whatever I want, and I can either hang it on a hook or stuff it in any nook available. It continues to remind me what a wonderful F experience I had on LH.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am still using my old brown leatherette amenity kit, and don't get me started on the amazing kits I have from EVA, especially the newer Georg Jensen variation.

Whether they go used or unused, they are a feature of any and every business class product worldwide, as well as a marketing conduit for new brands at minimal cost to the airline.

Leave it to that cheapskate Kirby to cut or eliminate amenity kits - first the food, now the amenity kits - why not just sell the meals on board and rent the pillows out?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag

SAP
Back in pre-merger days of transcon p.s., the amenity items were handed out from a basket instead of a kit. The staple items were eyeshades and earplugs. Dental kits were added later. When they used to have Westin Heavenly bedding, they also included Westin green tea mints in the basket.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Where is the survey located?
Its emailed to people United wants to give the survey out too. I'm guessing they are selecting people who have flown Polaris before, based on the questions being asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.