FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   GPU of 1K UA vs SWU of EXP AA -- Which provides more value? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1978387-gpu-1k-ua-vs-swu-exp-aa-provides-more-value.html)

nabanab Jul 16, 2019 2:50 pm

GPU of 1K UA vs SWU of EXP AA -- Which provides more value?

What is better?

Kacee Jul 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Depends. Is your flight on UA or AA?

TomMM Jul 16, 2019 2:54 pm

The one that is most easily used.

mtftw Jul 16, 2019 2:56 pm

That's like asking if Ford or Chevy is better. Without more detail, it's likely to spark a lot of meaningless debate.

nabanab Jul 16, 2019 3:05 pm

I mean by upgrades avability, in which flights it can be used, for how much segments.

GoSh4rks Jul 16, 2019 3:43 pm

The number of people that are able to directly compare the two with personal experience is going to be very little, even here on FT.

AA does have the benefit of having no minimum fare requirement though.

Droundtheworld Jul 16, 2019 3:56 pm

As an AA Executive Platinum and UA 1K I feel AA has more value.

1. Can be used on any fare.
2. Can be used from Business to First on 3-class aircraft including Premium Transcon where you can access Flagship Dining with great food, wine, and Krug Champagne.

Only downside is AA is making business cabins smaller while United is adding Premium seats.

FlytheTail Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm

If the OP would have asked 2 years ago, I would have said AA. Today I would say UA. IME, it's increasingly difficult to find TATL or TPAC availability on both carriers, but now especially on AA. Yes, you have to purchase a mid-fare on UA (W class or higher) but I can find more advanced inventory on UA than I can on AA for the routes I fly. And as chgodrew pointed out, UA's premium cabins are steady or expanding while AA's are steady or contracting.

jsloan Jul 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by chgodrew (Post 31310909)
2. Can be used from Business to First on 3-class aircraft including Premium Transcon where you can access Flagship Dining with great food, wine, and Krug Champagne.

A GPU can also be used to go from J to F -- just not on UA. :D

cfischer Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31311148)

exactly and with very high rates of clearing. The best use of a GPU IMHO. Can an AA SWU upgrade e.g. CX from C --> F?

GetSetJetSet Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31311158)
exactly and with very high rates of clearing. The best use of a GPU IMHO. Can an AA SWU upgrade e.g. CX from C --> F?

I wish, we can only use them on AA metal. Which partners can you use GPU on?

dkc192 Jul 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31311246)

LH and NH.

FlytheTail Jul 16, 2019 6:23 pm

ANA, Lufthansa, and Copa: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-upgrades.html

GetSetJetSet Jul 16, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 31311302)
LH and NH.

Damn. Do all biz fares, including discount biz allow for the GPU UP from J to F? That's pretty sweet.

Hipplewm Jul 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by chgodrew (Post 31310909)
As an AA Executive Platinum and UA 1K I feel AA has more value.

1. Can be used on any fare.

Only downside is AA is making business cabins smaller while United is adding Premium seats.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 31310961)
If the OP would have asked 2 years ago, I would have said AA. Today I would say UA. IME, it's increasingly difficult to find TATL or TPAC availability on both carriers, but now especially on AA. Yes, you have to purchase a mid-fare on UA (W class or higher) but I can find more advanced inventory on UA than I can on AA for the routes I fly. And as chgodrew pointed out, UA's premium cabins are steady or expanding while AA's are steady or contracting.

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31311148)

This is why this year I probably won't requal EXP
EXP gets 4 with a chance at an additional 2 (I think that is still the case - I am sure people will tell me if it isn't)
1K gets unlimited GPU (RPU are now capped) with extra PQM
GPU can be used on ANA and LH and I am 100% in the past 3 years - like 15/15 on upgrades on LH and 3/3 on NH
GPU can be used on up to 4 segments on UA or a single segment on LH/ANA