Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GPU of 1K UA vs SWU of EXP AA -- Which provides more value?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GPU of 1K UA vs SWU of EXP AA -- Which provides more value?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
EXP gets 4 at 100k and I think 2 every 50k after. I'm on track for 200k EQM which I know will leave me with 8 SWU. I don't know 100% if they give you more at 250k, 300k, but for sure at 150k and 200k.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Damn. Do all biz fares, including discount biz allow for the GPU UP from J to F? That's pretty sweet.
Only the expensive ones: J/C/D. IMO only a notable benefit if someone else is paying, as D fares tend to be less than discount First outright, but not that much less.

There was a brief window when any fare worked on LH, but they fixed that
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by findark
Only the expensive ones: J/C/D. IMO only a notable benefit if someone else is paying, as D fares tend to be less than discount First outright, but not that much less.

In that case, for my purposes (100% leisure travel), I think AA SWU are the more useful instrument. It's true the confirm at time of booking avail isn't great, but I used my 4 this year turning a $600 JFK-CDG-JFK Y roundtrip into a J one, and turning the HKG-DFW and LAX-HKG portions of a $1,800 HKG-DFW-MEX, CUN-MIA-LAX-HKG J fare into F legs. Sounds like I would have to shell out a lot more $ on the fares to get any benefit from UA GPU.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

D can be manageable depending on routes but yes ... this is an OPM benefit
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Hard to say which provides more value, but I would say that I struggle to use the AA SWUs each year vs. the UA GPUs. AA simply doesn't open up much space, and I don't like waitlisting, especially on AA with relatively small J cabins.

Agree with previous posts that J to F is a pretty good use of an SWU, especially if routing through a hub that has Flagship Dining. Even better if one encounters IRROPS, and AA rebooks you in F on one of their OW partners.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
... for my purposes (100% leisure travel), I think AA SWU are the more useful instrument. It's true the confirm at time of booking avail isn't great, but I used my 4 this year turning a $600 JFK-CDG-JFK Y roundtrip into a J one, and turning the HKG-DFW and LAX-HKG portions of a $1,800 HKG-DFW-MEX, CUN-MIA-LAX-HKG J fare into F legs. Sounds like I would have to shell out a lot more $ on the fares to get any benefit from UA GPU.
I agree with you. I switched from UA to AA in 2016 and had to re-learn a different way to play the GPU/SWU game. As many previous posters have mentioned, advance C (J upgrade on AA) is basically nonexistent and appears only maybe 2-3 days before departure (at least for the transpac routes that I frequently use). But since I travel for my own business, I am more flexible with booking flights that I feel have better chances of clearing the waitlist. To date, I have never booked an AA transpac trip with immediately clearable C space, but out of the 20+ times that I have applied the SWU, I have failed to clear the waitlist only once.

I appreciate the ability to use AA SWU on sub-$600 roundtrips to PEK, PVG, and HKG, as well as to TPE, KUL, CGK, etc., using AA/JL codeshares. Even though the SWU can only get as far as NRT on those latter instances, I'll take it for such low fares plus a trip to the Sakura First Lounge. That said, when my schedule isn't flexible (e.g., flying transpac on a Friday or Saturday), I wouldn't bother with the SWU and instead book PEY on CX (which op-upped me a couple of times).
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:58 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The number of people that are able to directly compare the two with personal experience is going to be very little, even here on FT.

AA does have the benefit of having no minimum fare requirement though.
AA EXP here.

The lack of fare class restrictions is nice but I’d argue the sweet spot for the VIPs is upgrading cheap Y to J, not J to F, on AA. True UA imposes a sub W embargo on Y > J upgrades but there is no fare class restrictions on Y > PPlus for GPUs. I’d argue this helps improve a GPUs usability and serves to partially close the gap on the no-fare-class-restriction AA VIPs.

”C” (AA’s version of PZ) is rarely open in advance on the flights I care about (HKG) but does seem to open about 2/3 days prior if the cabin is booked light enough. Take away is you either book a cheap Y last-minute when you can confirm the upgrade or else you’re playing the waiting game.

On UA, you can find PZ and PN (AA has no equivalent of PN) in advance some of the time and with UA adding J and PPlus seats, not removing them, I’d assume UA would offer better upgrade options for those who are VERY flexible and booking in advance.

Originally Posted by nabanab
I mean by upgrades avability, in which flights it can be used, for how much segments.
Neither AA or UA will offer upgrades on high demand routes on high demand days. If you can book on low demand days then it becomes a timing and fare class issue. If you can wait till the last minute and still book a cheap Y flight, AA’s the play. If not, I’d say it becomes a more nuanced question with things like scheduling, routes, equipment type, etc coming into play.

Finally with discount J fares being what they are many - myself included - have found good value in foregoing the upgrade game in favor of just buying the front cabin. Uncertain what constraints you’re operating under but this maybe something you’d want to consider.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think the other benefit, depending on your patterns, is that UA gives you more certificates than AA. I'm actually getting hit by that one this year as I don't know what to do with my 5th and 6th GPUs since I don't really have time to make a "real" trip and not sure it's worth even a W fare just to go somewhere for the ~weekend (I know FT will disagree on that point )
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I think the other benefit, depending on your patterns, is that UA gives you more certificates than AA. I'm actually getting hit by that one this year as I don't know what to do with my 5th and 6th GPUs since I don't really have time to make a "real" trip and not sure it's worth even a W fare just to go somewhere for the ~weekend (I know FT will disagree on that point )
In this busy world, time is the most valuable commodity so, while I would take short novelty trips/mileage runs early in my flying career, I am no longer willing to waste that much time just to use up my GPUs. Lately, I've been doing battlefield upgrades for strangers at the gate like on my last NRT-EWR flight several weeks ago, where the plane actually went out with 8 empty seats in J. I told the GA that I wanted to remain anonymous but I did witness the upgradee getting called to the podium and they were ecstatic.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
UA has more value to this Government traveler. I was AA EXPLAT but couldn’t use their global upgrades on any Government tickets so they had no value for me.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The number of people that are able to directly compare the two with personal experience is going to be very little, even here on FT.

AA does have the benefit of having no minimum fare requirement though.
I'm one who can compare.
My S/O is an AA Exec Plat who hasn't been able to confirm an UG at booking in the past 2 years, even when booking 11 months in advance and departing on a Tue/Wed.
I always manage to find something and never ever play the wait list game.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chavala
I'm one who can compare.
My S/O is an AA Exec Plat who hasn't been able to confirm an UG at booking in the past 2 years, even when booking 11 months in advance and departing on a Tue/Wed.
I always manage to find something and never ever play the wait list game.
While I admit AA C-avail isn't great, I have never waitlisted either. If you're flexible and do some digging, you can usually find routes that will work for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.