Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Preference b/w UA, AC, or OZ business class?

Preference b/w UA, AC, or OZ business class?

Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium
There is a second United flight from SFO on a polaris configured 777-200 (UA805/806). It's not daily, so you'd likely have to adjust your schedule a bit. Considering the PQD requirements, I'd aim for this. I have flown all of the products we've discussed, with the only difference being that my AC experience was in a 777 and not a 787, but I don't believe the differences are that great. The UA787 has a noticeably narrower business class seat, so I would avoid if possible, and definitely if you could get true Polaris or PQD on an AC/OZ flight.

Edit: Actually I have flown AC's 787. Clearly there isn't much of a difference. I do thoroughly enjoy their seat and service.

Last edited by mrsyeltzin; Jul 17, 2019 at 10:57 am Reason: Forgot
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
If taking AC, there is a possibility of getting a deflated seat. There is a whole thread on it in the AC board. For this reason, I have been staying away from AC when possible.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, AA MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Gold
a bit crazy routing, but I didn't have much time to loo for other options ...

What is that website you're using to build that itinerary and book with the United segment first and it lets you get the rest of the AC flights on the same ticket? Again, new at this so sorry if that's obvious.

Nevermind, figured out it's Google Flights.

Also when I click "book this trip with United" it just makes me go to United and enter my multi-city itinerary again, at which point it won't allow me to buy the AC direct flight YVR-ICN, only a connection back to SFO. So not sure what Google or me are smoking but it's not cooperating.

Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin
There is a second United flight from SFO on a polaris configured 777-200 (UA805/806).
I saw that. But it arrives at almost 10PM on Sunday night and the last bus going to where I need to be Monday morning leaves the terminal at 10:30. So it's a no go. I could do the 777-200 flight on the way home, but kind of a bummer as it leaves at noon, but I wouldn't be tired enough to sleep until 8-9 hours into the 11 hour flight.

Originally Posted by CIT85
As UA Plat, I would expect you would want to stay with UA for the PQM and PQD towards status and higher RDM, perhaps work towards 1K.
Thanks, yeah, I think as my first foray into international business class I need to focus on qualifying for 1K next year over anything else.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 17, 2019 at 6:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by steveschow
I saw that. But it arrives at almost 10PM on Sunday night and the last bus going to where I need to be Monday morning leaves the terminal at 10:30. So it's a no go. I could do the 777-200 flight on the way home, but kind of a bummer as it leaves at noon, but I wouldn't be tired enough to sleep until 8-9 hours into the 11 hour flight.
Makes sense.

Thanks, yeah, I think as my first foray into international business class I need to focus on qualifying for 1K next year over anything else.
That would be my focus if there's an expectation of continued international travel, even if the prices are a bit higher to get it on UA ticket stock.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Just so you're aware - AC has a common problem they're calling "deflate-gate" where the Business Class seats deflate while in flight, making it completely impossible to sleep or get comfortable. The one time I've flown AC business (last month), this happened to me. I had a miserable night with no sleep. There is a lengthy thread in the AC forum.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
I disagree.. you have to clear transfer security with no Pre and run at the speed of Canadian border controls.
You should not have to touch any Canadian border "controls" flying Asia to USA in YVR. You would need to clear security (and I tend to dislike YVR transit transborder security) and US preclearance.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You should not have to touch any Canadian border "controls" flying Asia to USA in YVR. You would need to clear security (and I tend to dislike YVR transit transborder security) and US preclearance.
Right, I was alluding to the fact that transfer security (which is run by actual Canadians; not sure who bureaucratically is responsible) is operated in a similar manner to Canadian border controls - i.e. very slowly and thoroughly.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
*If* you don't roll around or bend your knees while sleeping, then take AC. It's a really solid experience. Even having fallen victim to deflategate two months ago I'm a fan. That said, the knee-room issue is a pain point for me, and as such I would always choose the UA option when available to ensure a better and uninterrupted sleep.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CIT85
As UA Plat, I would expect you would want to stay with UA for the PQM and PQD towards status and higher RDM, perhaps work towards 1K.
of course you must realize that for PQM, PQD and RDM you do NOT need to fly UA ... you can perfectly fly partner airlines! The only thing where it matters is GS qualification!

What is that website you're using to build that itinerary and book with the United segment first and it lets you get the rest of the AC flights on the same ticket? Again, new at this so sorry if that's obvious.

Nevermind, figured out it's Google Flights.
it means it can be ticket on United 016 ticket stock at a decent price. Any TA can do it for you. Or UA if you find a good agent.

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Just so you're aware - AC has a common problem they're calling "deflate-gate" where the Business Class seats deflate while in flight, making it completely impossible to sleep or get comfortable. The one time I've flown AC business (last month), this happened to me. I had a miserable night with no sleep. There is a lengthy thread in the AC forum.
Common? that's a bit of an overstatement. I have flown AC many times in C and have never seen this issue on my flights.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
Common? that's a bit of an overstatement. I have flown AC many times in C and have never seen this issue on my flights.
Never having realized it is not the same as never having experienced it.

It's an extremely common problem, and I say this as one of the biggest AC fanboys on FT.

The 2k post thread (Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight) has remained on the AC front page pretty much since it was created.

The AC flight would probably have wifi, and a specific seat probably won't have any deflation issues, but there's a good chance there would be no wifi or that the seat would deflate.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Never having realized it is not the same as never having experienced it.

It's an extremely common problem, and I say this as one of the biggest AC fanboys on FT.

The 2k post thread (Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight) has remained on the AC front page pretty much since it was created.

The AC flight would probably have wifi, and a specific seat probably won't have any deflation issues, but there's a good chance there would be no wifi or that the seat would deflate.
I have had more deflating seats on LX than on AC. And that is a once vs. none. Also never seen anyone else complain on my flights they had an issue. I understand this happens on AC, but common? Hardly.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
the real problem with AC is not seat deflation but its "on time performance" its the worst in NA and when you have IRROPS AC is really bad about helping out.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mellon
the real problem with AC is not seat deflation but its "on time performance" its the worst in NA and when you have IRROPS AC is really bad about helping out.
I agree that schedule deflation > seat deflation as a concern about travel on AC.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Kacee
No way. At a US port of entry, with GE and Pre I'm through much, much quicker and with much less hassle.

Without dragging this thread OT, like many others, I've also had bad experiences (more than one) with Canada immigration at YVR.
With Nexus, YVR is quicker out the door than GE, particularly SEA where they still make you wait in line to check your bags. The last time I went through YVR I didn't even talk to an immigration officer, just handed them the slip.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mellon
For TPAC travel? In the OPs case fro YVR? Sorry, I don't see this either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.