FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

July 1983 Royal Pacific Service 747

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by jsloan
Nonsense. The reason that we don't see this stuff is that it was never all that profitable in the first place. There's a reason that there have been so many bankruptcies in the airline industry.
We still see plenty of foreign carriers offer more luxurious service. And there's even a hint of it with American's transcontinental Flagship First.

There's plenty of indicators of how I am right. One way of looking at Polaris lounges is they are a product that FF'ers can't access based on status or points.

I think you will actually see more of this in the future. Luxury works just fine so long as it is exclusive to wealthy people. But any product widely available for free is not going to be as luxurious.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by dilanesp
"There were less upgrades back then. I remember flying from NRT to LAX on an almost brand new 744 in 1997 and I was one of only two passengers in F."

This is key. RP service was a soft product for very wealthy people. It required lots of FA's, extremely labor intensive catering operations, plenty of training, and very high quality foodstuffs.

The reason we don't see First Class like this anymore, simply speaking, is because premium cabins now attract a significant number of nonpaying customers. You just can't give this stuff away, even to very loyal customers (and with credit cards and the like, plenty of people with tons of miles aren't even loyal customers), and make a profit. On the other hand, if you could somehow limit it to people who pay $9,000 roundtrip to Tokyo and keep frequent flyers out, it might be profitable.
I routinely pay more than $10K USD round trip from Cali to Tokyo, and I certainly do not get anything near the levels of service of United’s past. Very frustrating to be carrying the airline while receiving declining service year over year. I can’t say NH or JAL offer something significantly better either. Everything has been marginalized these days and there is no recourse other than the very significant step up in cost to flying semi or fully private, which appears to be an even poorer value. Overall as tech advances and populations grow, it’s funny (read: sad) how service ALWAYS declines.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational

I routinely pay more than $10K USD round trip from Cali to Tokyo, and I certainly do not get anything near the levels of service of United’s past. Very frustrating to be carrying the airline while receiving declining service year over year. I can’t say NH or JAL offer something significantly better either. Everything has been marginalized these days and there is no recourse other than the very significant step up in cost to flying semi or fully private, which appears to be an even poorer value. Overall as tech advances and populations grow, it’s funny (read: sad) how service ALWAYS declines.
The reason you don't receive $10k of service is because the airline also allows a bunch of FF'ers to access the same product without paying the money.

If they made it more exclusive, they might improve the service. As they did with the Polaris lounge.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason you don't receive $10k of service is because the airline also allows a bunch of FF'ers to access the same product without paying the money.

If they made it more exclusive, they might improve the service. As they did with the Polaris lounge.
You do realize that us awful, misbegotten, scum of the earth "FF'ers" can access the Polaris lounge with an upgraded ticket, right?

Your explanation makes no sense at all. The main reason that you get F service on international flag carriers is that they're often not trying to make a profit. And, even those that have been known for F are cutting back (e.g., SQ).

If you're going to ofter F in the first place, the incremental costs for a couple of passengers to fill seats that you're not able to sell are relatively minimal. The problem isn't the "nonpaying" customers; it's the fact that there aren't enough paying customers.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
When airfares were regulated, the airlines could count on the revenue and differentiate themselves by level of comfort and service. The airlines do other things to ensure they make a profit when airline seats are commodity items and fares ratchet down. Yes, I miss the feeling of luxury and service from flying in the 70s and 80s. I don't miss the airfare or feeling like I had to "dress up" for the flight (no kidding, that's what I was instructed to do when taking flights in the 1970s).
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:25 pm

You do realize that us awful, misbegotten, scum of the earth "FF'ers" can access the Polaris lounge with an upgraded ticket, right?

Your explanation makes no sense at all. The main reason that you get F service on international flag carriers is that they're often not trying to make a profit. And, even those that have been known for F are cutting back (e.g., SQ).

If you're going to ofter F in the first place, the incremental costs for a couple of passengers to fill seats that you're not able to sell are relatively minimal. The problem isn't the "nonpaying" customers; it's the fact that there aren't enough paying customers.
You can, but they just made several moves to make Polaris tickets far harder to get with miles. Which is precisely consistent with the business model of those lounges.

People who pay boatloads of money for luxury goods want exclusivity. They want a velvet rope. Many, many companies profitably serve such markets. They do so by maintaining that exclusivity.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can, but they just made several moves to make Polaris tickets far harder to get with miles.
Not really. I've flown BusinessFirst / Global First / Polaris many times. I think I've used a saver award once. Dynamic award pricing isn't going to affect the ability to get Polaris "cheaply." $15K PQD for 1K might, but I think the effect is overstated ($10K didn't; $12K didn't). And none of this is going to stop UA from selling upgrades for $800 at check-in, or for selling round-trip TPAC Polaris tickets from Canada for $2000.

Which is precisely consistent with the business model of those lounges.
No, it's not. The business model of those lounges was a selling point to try to get people to fly business class. It had nothing to do with exclusivity.

People who pay boatloads of money for luxury goods want exclusivity. They want a velvet rope. Many, many companies profitably serve such markets. They do so by maintaining that exclusivity.
You don't speak for everyone. While I'm sure there are some people who judge something's value by its exclusivity, I'd wager that most of those people aren't flying commercial anyway.

The simple fact of the matter is that F is going away, globally, because it's been proven, time and time again, that it's unprofitable.
moondog and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Just give it some time and United will follow Air Canada's lead and will probably not allow upgraded and miles redemption tickets into the Polaris Lounge. Even the ME's are starting to sell basic business without lounge access. It probably won't we long before United starts restricting non cash premium cabin tickets ability to access their lounges.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat38a
Just give it some time and United will follow Air Canada's lead and will probably not allow upgraded and miles redemption tickets into the Polaris Lounge.[
Perhaps, but if they do that, the service will get worse, not better -- they'll justify additional cuts by the fact that the lounges are empty.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:46 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by seat38a
Were the FA's still wearing Kimono's in the 90's?
No. The kimonos were worn only by "International Service Representatives" (interpreters) who were forbidden from performing F/A duties, so couldn't get you a drink, serve you a meal, etc. They translated announcements into Japanese and would assist F/As in the aisles with any translation issues. Other than that, they wandered the cabins asking folks if they needed any information for their destination. On HNL flights (after Pac Day) they also carried a Polaroid camera to take photos of Japanese honeymoon couples.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by 1984SW
No. The kimonos were worn only by "International Service Representatives" (interpreters) who were forbidden from performing F/A duties, so couldn't get you a drink, serve you a meal, etc. They translated announcements into Japanese and would assist F/As in the aisles with any translation issues. Other than that, they wandered the cabins asking folks if they needed any information for their destination. On HNL flights (after Pac Day) they also carried a Polaroid camera to take photos of Japanese honeymoon couples.
Sounds like a cushy job.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
The simple fact of the matter is that F is going away, globally, because it's been proven, time and time again, that it's unprofitable.
I draw a VERY, VERY different conclusion from this thread. "Back in the day" International First, was a cut above International Business. That old "International First" seat was a recliner with less pitch than today's lie flat seats in "Business". The old "Business" seat was the same width/pitch as today's PE seat.

The problem is not that people (and in specific OPM travel) will not pay for "First" its that International Business with direct Aisle Lie Flat seats was nice enough that few people would pay for a bigger seat (the old UA First suites) OR an even more expansive suite. Put another way, J is nice enough at $7K that the value proposition to pay $15+K for "First" is not so great.

But this says nothing about whether people will pay for better soft product. The biggest cost of all is flying the seat around. The cost to send that seat accross the pacific is vastly greater than the soft-product costs (not service, extra FAs are more expensive). Lots of ways to look at "costs" - opportunity costs or just a pro-rata share of the available floor/weight, but either way its is several thousand $$$s to run a lie flat seat TPAC and back. The soft product at the cheapest (UA and now more and more AA) might run $40-50 max each way. A much higher level of product might run an extra $20 each way. Compared to flying the seat, its chump change, to offer decent wines, coffee/expresso, tea, and food, as well as better bedding.

But this has little to do with the demand for "first class" vs in the days of yore. That has mostly to do with today's J seat being BETTER than the old First seat, and too few people willing to pay a lot more for some type of suite product vs a direct aisle lie flat seat.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
The problem is not that people (and in specific OPM travel) will not pay for "First" its that International Business with direct Aisle Lie Flat seats was nice enough that few people would pay for a bigger seat (the old UA First suites) OR an even more expansive suite. Put another way, J is nice enough at $7K that the value proposition to pay $15+K for "First" is not so great.
This. Earlier this year I purchased 2 PE seats on LH for a TATL vacation. 2 months before departure LH offered a very decent deal on upgrades to LH business, and I took the offer. 3 days before departure, LH offered me an upgrade to F, and I passed - the extra cost wasn't worth the incremental increase in seat comfort.

As much as I miss the old F suite on the IPTE birds, UA made the right decision to toss it and go with all business up front. Unfortunately, they are short-changing the Polaris soft product so badly that they are making Polaris unattractive.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
And, thus, there is no market for F. We're saying the same thing.

Or, you can look at it another way: 2019 Y is lousy 1983 Y. 2019 PE is lousy 1983 C. 2019 J is soft-product lousy, hard-product improved 1983 F. And the only thing people have proven willing to pay for is the hard product.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by halls120
This. Earlier this year I purchased 2 PE seats on LH for a TATL vacation. 2 months before departure LH offered a very decent deal on upgrades to LH business, and I took the offer. 3 days before departure, LH offered me an upgrade to F, and I passed - the extra cost wasn't worth the incremental increase in seat comfort.

As much as I miss the old F suite on the IPTE birds, UA made the right decision to toss it and go with all business up front. Unfortunately, they are short-changing the Polaris soft product so badly that they are making Polaris unattractive.
While I agree that UA made the right decission to go just with direct aisle J and can the F suites, I think the market really changed. The F suites were from an era when J was a recliner seat, and they were carried over when UA did IPTE which was a leading product in its day. But the IPTE seat was really tight width wise and as we can all attest, the middle seats were not so hot. So there was some product differentiation. Unless you are physically large, there is little difference in the comfort of the new Polaris seats (or AA or DL's direct access product) from the old United First Suites. And of course UA was not helping itself by making the only real soft product difference providing soup...

And, thus, there is no market for F. We're saying the same thing.

Or, you can look at it another way: 2019 Y is lousy 1983 Y. 2019 PE is lousy 1983 C. 2019 J is soft-product lousy, hard-product improved 1983 F. And the only thing people have proven willing to pay for is the hard product.
A more accurate statement is hard product wise 1983 Y = 2019 Y+; 1983 Y >> 2019 Y; 1983 J < 2019 PE (the current PE seats have the same space but are better designed with better IFE); 1983 F <<< 2019 J. But this in no way, shape, or form suggests, let alone proves that people will not pay for soft product. The only way to really show that is to look at higher service vs lower service carriers flying the same routes with similar equipment. For example, is SQ doing better on SFO-SIN than is UA? Are they getting better J fares? Is ANA/JAL getting better J fares on SFO/LAX/EWR/ORD-TYP/NRT than is UA? While we have a lot of personal stories on FT about these choices, I don't think anyone has this type of data to answer these questions. Frankly, you - if anyone on FT - would be the one who might have access to this data. I don't think it exists outside of information shared inside of the JV arrangements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.