FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

July 1983 Royal Pacific Service 747

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It's good to be young and never have experienced that! I started flying in 1982 just when I finished college and my wife started flying in 1960 as a toddler so we both had too many of those flights. In Economy you had more chances to be in a row far away from the smokers. In international Business Class in the 90's, my wife was sometimes in planes were there were three rows for non smokers and two rows for smokers.
Yes! I really cannot imagine what it is like to be in a smoking flight! I cannot even stand a hotel room previously occupied by a smoking person, let alone a 'room' (aka passenger cabin) with other people actively smoking!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
We don't need a good soft product. Kirby says "the schedule is the product"
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Were people also smoking cigars and pipes in the plane back then? Or was it just cigarettes?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Everyone always waxes nostalgic for the food.

NO ONE ever brings up the fare structure then, and compares it, inflation adjusted, to today.

Funny, that.
markedcw, trooper and AndyInSaigon like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by kyee
Were people also smoking cigars and pipes in the plane back then? Or was it just cigarettes?
Only cigarettes were allowed. I remember as a kid the safety card and the safety videos saying only cigarettes were allowed when the no smoking sign was off.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by seat38a
They didn't. It was always a joy sitting a row or two ahead of the smoking section in the official Non Smoking rows. The smoke never got the message. It was even a bigger joy if the only seats left were in the smoking section.
Actually, the law was that - if you asked - the airline had to seat you 4 rows away from of the "smoking section". As a 7 year old kid in the early 70s, I knew the rule, and would demand it be enforced.... Some FA's thought it was "cute" and often it just resulted in my sister and I getting moved up to the front of the plane. Already an anti-smoking zelot from an early age...

Originally Posted by markedcw
Nice find. I couldn’t help comparing the ‘83 747 plan with the current 773. Based on seat pitch/width, J and Y closely match PP and E+. But on the extremes things have gotten much better and worse. The Polaris seat significantly improves on F—lie-flat and no seat mate of course but also width. While the 747 didn’t inflict an equivalent of today’s E- pitch on anyone.
I noted that too. "Business Class" was 19" wide by 38" pitch. That is basically the new PE seat. Now the current J is more comfortable than F was "back in the day" the classes have come full circle.
AirlineLoop likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:17 am

looking back, I wish I had the opportunity to try both UA and CO's International First Class products in their prime. I am usually not an envious person, but for you FTs who considered this as the norm - even the standard back then - you're blessed to have even experienced it. I don't know why, but I feel that the luxurious appeal of flying transcontinental business class is no longer there, but UA is trying to make it special again - like the exclusivity of Polaris Lounge experience for example. The experience leaves me even more confused when then they scale back the soft product significantly. For example what I experienced when Polaris first launched in December 2016 is vastly different to today's experience and it just leaves me disappointed.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

United, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Casserole Dish.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:15 am

I remember when they would bring around a basket with a variety of warm rolls -- really good rolls. I particularly liked the rye ones.

Re smoking: Circa 1960/63, I was often given the job of carrying around the small round tray with the mini packets of cigarettes to offer to the passengers. Not quite, "Cigars, cigarettes, Tiparellos?" -- but fun nonetheless. Before landing, I would sometimes get to circulate the tray with the small boxes of chiclets (gum).

Good times.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by spin88
Actually, the law was that - if you asked - the airline had to seat you 4 rows away from of the "smoking section". As a 7 year old kid in the early 70s, I knew the rule, and would demand it be enforced.... Some FA's thought it was "cute" and often it just resulted in my sister and I getting moved up to the front of the plane. Already an anti-smoking zelot from an early age...

Sample Flyertalk thread title, circa 1972: "Refund for TOD on an A319* for Non-Smokers Who Voluntarily Downgrade?"

*Yes, I know A319's weren't flying in 1972.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by kyee
Cigar smoking was allowed in the first class lounge, upstairs on the 747.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Anyone have an idea what the price would have been for a Transpacific flight in those days (in first and/or business class?)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: united
"There were less upgrades back then. I remember flying from NRT to LAX on an almost brand new 744 in 1997 and I was one of only two passengers in F."

This is key. RP service was a soft product for very wealthy people. It required lots of FA's, extremely labor intensive catering operations, plenty of training, and very high quality foodstuffs.

The reason we don't see First Class like this anymore, simply speaking, is because premium cabins now attract a significant number of nonpaying customers. You just can't give this stuff away, even to very loyal customers (and with credit cards and the like, plenty of people with tons of miles aren't even loyal customers), and make a profit. On the other hand, if you could somehow limit it to people who pay $9,000 roundtrip to Tokyo and keep frequent flyers out, it might be profitable.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
The reason we don't see First Class like this anymore, simply speaking, is because premium cabins now attract a significant number of nonpaying customers. You just can't give this stuff away, even to very loyal customers (and with credit cards and the like, plenty of people with tons of miles aren't even loyal customers), and make a profit. On the other hand, if you could somehow limit it to people who pay $9,000 roundtrip to Tokyo and keep frequent flyers out, it might be profitable.
Nonsense. The reason that we don't see this stuff is that it was never all that profitable in the first place. There's a reason that there have been so many bankruptcies in the airline industry.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I wonder if those rules applied to foreign flag carriers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.