Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

July 1983 Royal Pacific Service 747

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Royal Pacific Service was referred to as "five cart service" by inflight. Imagine five separate, loaded carts offering each first class passenger multiple choices. Sigh.
AirlineLoop likes this.

Last edited by artvandalay; Jul 16, 2019 at 8:04 am
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
The food actually looks decent. Shocking!
AirlineLoop likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Back in the days of smoking and non smoking sections I took a flight with LH from MEX to DFW in “Baron Class”. It was on a 747 and the plane was divided down the middle- left side was nonsmoking and right side was smoking. I was in the middle set of seats downstairs, and there was a man in my same row puffing away!

When I wrote to Lufty to complain afterwards, they responded with an amazingly frank letter stating that in terms of exposure to smoke, it didn’t make any difference where they divided the cabin and they wanted to provide equal opportunities for smokers and non smokers to sit in the front and back of the various cabins!

I guess they were right.
lixiaojuventus and seat38a like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:24 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
This 747 was my first ever flight as a 1 year old. On the upper deck according to my parents. Clearly I was hooked pretty early.
AirlineLoop likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Oh boy - the olden days of paying to rent an airtube headphone to listen to the movie dialogue, or use a drink coupon to get the headphone.
MatthewLAX and trooper like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:25 pm

Nice find. I couldn’t help comparing the ‘83 747 plan with the current 773. Based on seat pitch/width, J and Y closely match PP and E+. But on the extremes things have gotten much better and worse. The Polaris seat significantly improves on F—lie-flat and no seat mate of course but also width. While the 747 didn’t inflict an equivalent of today’s E- pitch on anyone.

One thing the numbers can’t show is that load factors were much lower 30+ years ago. I never flew a UA wide body from that period but I did use CO’s equivalent Pacific service on 747s and DC-10s. During one late 80’s segment from HNL to SYD, the husband and I had a window/aisle in Y with an empty middle. But once in the air, we both managed to find unoccupied center rows so easily got 7+ hours of sleep. Probably more comfortable than the folks seated in the nose.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I have had pursers as recently as 2014 or 2015 on HKG/NRT-SFO welcome us to United’s Royal Pacific service after takeoff. Followed by the usual Y middling amenities and service.
lixiaojuventus and SEA777GUY like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by transportprof
Back in the days of smoking and non smoking sections I took a flight with LH from MEX to DFW in “Baron Class”. It was on a 747 and the plane was divided down the middle- left side was nonsmoking and right side was smoking....

In 1990, cashed in a bunch of EA/CO miles to fly FC on AF MIA-CDG. 747 FC section in the nose of the plane with smoking on the right side and non-smoking on the left side. Along with snacks on a table in the middle were packs of Gauloise cigarettes. I don't remember the meal, but I do remember the Laurent Perrier champagne and caviar.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So when did the lobsters from premium cabins disappear? I remember 1988/89, I was in 5th grade and my family and I headed to Hawaii on Delta. Delta screwed up our seat assignment and in the end, we got the last 4 seats in first class on a L1011. I remember lobster was an option for the meal. I also remember, the flight attendant listing off a LONG LONG list of main courses including a pork chop option. It was also a time when coach passengers never dared venture past the curtain and the FA's would send you back before you could take 2 steps into the first class cabin. Oh and PDB was served in real glass.

Now days, the seats have become much much better, but service has definitely gone down big time. Even the one tray meal above looks better than the Polaris casserole one dish now.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
IIRC, the caviar and vodka were served up to 2001 and discontinued just before 9/11.

There were 7 courses in international first class. I did remember have a lobster dish in late 90s.

International First class was luxurious! Salad made to order and prepared in a large mixer. Rack of lamb and chateaubriand carved in front of you. I was just started working and did not fully appreciate all the offerings and often declined all the offerings. There were just too much food.

There were less upgrades back then. I remember flying from NRT to LAX on an almost brand new 744 in 1997 and I was one of only two passengers in F.

Most of the cut backs were during the two bankruptcies In the first decade of 2000s post 9/11.

Since the introduction of *A to include PQM (EQM) from all *A flying and then later fare based PQM was introduced, the number of elites exploded. Before that only BIS on UA flights were counted regardless of fares paid.

1K was more exclusive back in the 90s than today. I was one of the earlier batch of 1Ks when 1K was introduced. Now looking back, 1P was quite special, too.

As someone mentioned earlier, planes were less full back then. Now, it is just a form of transportation. Flying to/from work was less regular.

Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
The non-smoking section is in name only
It's like when I lived in North Carolina, every restaurant had a no-smoking section. Regardless of where you were sitting, if you weren't smoking, your table was the no-smoking section.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
IIRC, the caviar and vodka were served up to 2001 and discontinued just before 9/11.

There were 7 courses in international first class. I did remember have a lobster dish in late 90s.

International First class was luxurious! Salad made to order and prepared in a large mixer. Rack of lamb and chateaubriand carved in front of you. I was just started working and did not fully appreciate all the offerings and often declined all the offerings. There were just too much food.

There were less upgrades back then. I remember flying from NRT to LAX on an almost brand new 744 in 1997 and I was one of only two passengers in F.

Most of the cut backs were during the two bankruptcies In the first decade of 2000s post 9/11.

Since the introduction of *A to include PQM (EQM) from all *A flying and then later fare based PQM was introduced, the number of elites exploded. Before that only BIS on UA flights were counted regardless of fares paid.

1K was more exclusive back in the 90s than today. I was one of the earlier batch of 1Ks when 1K was introduced. Now looking back, 1P was quite special, too.

As someone mentioned earlier, planes were less full back then. Now, it is just a form of transportation. Flying to/from work was less regular.

Lobsters were also served in domestic first no? Were the FA's still wearing Kimono's in the 90's?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's like when I lived in North Carolina, every restaurant had a no-smoking section. Regardless of where you were sitting, if you weren't smoking, your table was the no-smoking section.
Haha! That's hilarious

Originally Posted by transportprof
Back in the days of smoking and non smoking sections I took a flight with LH from MEX to DFW in “Baron Class”. It was on a 747 and the plane was divided down the middle- left side was nonsmoking and right side was smoking. I was in the middle set of seats downstairs, and there was a man in my same row puffing away!

When I wrote to Lufty to complain afterwards, they responded with an amazingly frank letter stating that in terms of exposure to smoke, it didn’t make any difference where they divided the cabin and they wanted to provide equal opportunities for smokers and non smokers to sit in the front and back of the various cabins!

I guess they were right.
Oh well, the reasoning you quoted from LH makes so much sense

As someone who started flying after smoking had been banned on all flights, I did not realize that there were so many interesting stories associated with it Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 16, 2019 at 9:14 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It's good to be young and never have experienced that! I started flying in 1982 just when I finished college and my wife started flying in 1960 as a toddler so we both had too many of those flights. In Economy you had more chances to be in a row far away from the smokers. In international Business Class in the 90's, my wife was sometimes in planes were there were three rows for non smokers and two rows for smokers.
I had to travel on several domestic and a couple of APAC flights back in the smoking days. There was no escaping it no matter where you sat.

To make it worse, I normally had to travel with my VP who smoked like a chimney. Since he was the senior guy we sat together right in the middle of the smoking section working during the flight. Miserable. He did have a great line one day, when in a moment of weakness I was whinging about sitting in the smoking section. He looked at me as he took a drag off his cigarette and said "you ever see a screaming 2 year old smoking"?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
In international Business Class in the 90's, my wife was sometimes in planes were there were three rows for non smokers and two rows for smokers.
And First Class in front also had smokers, so you were sandwiched in between them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.