UA Platinum - Luftansa flight upgrades

Old Jul 15, 19, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
UA Platinum - Luftansa flight upgrades

Hi, Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am a UA Platinum . I am on a family cruise that included plane tickets. They are all "016" so united paper, but super discounted K fares. I was able to move our united seats outbound into Econ+ but the flight home are on Lufthansa and I cannot seem to do anything to get slightly better seats. Anyone know if there is anything similar to E+ on Lufthansa and if there is anyway to get the 6 seats moved?

Finally, I have never traveled with this many people before with having this status. I think that everyone on the outbound (united) trip will be able to check in the premier desk and use the pre-check line due to my status. But, I think only one person will be able to enter the lounge as my guest. Is that correct?
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by billchristoff View Post

I am a UA Platinum . I am on a family cruise that included plane tickets. They are all "016" so united paper, but super discounted K fares. I was able to move our united seats outbound into Econ+ but the flight home are on Lufthansa and I cannot seem to do anything to get slightly better seats. Anyone know if there is anything similar to E+ on Lufthansa and if there is anyway to get the 6 seats moved?

Finally, I have never traveled with this many people before with having this status. I think that everyone on the outbound (united) trip will be able to check in the premier desk and use the pre-check line due to my status. But, I think only one person will be able to enter the lounge as my guest. Is that correct?
you can pay for seat assignment with a K class ticket or pick your seats at online check-in for free. No real seat benefits with UA platinum on LH other then a potential OP-up.
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:40 pm

Anyone know if there is anything similar to E+ on Lufthansa and if there is anyway to get the 6 seats moved?
Many Lufthansa planes have a true premium economy. Getting into those seats will likely require an upfare. And there are, at most, maybe 30 premium economy seats on those planes, so it might not be doable for everyone to sit together if you do upfare to them.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold

Welcome!
LH doesn't have a equivlant to E+ (not to be confused with their premium economy). You may be able to call and get close, or better seats (I recall doing this online with LH once I got LH's record locator... but it was just closer seats in the same class).
Correct on one guest in the lounges as a *G.
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
The best strategy to get good seats on LH without paying is to check in before the 23hr check in time. They say that you can check in at T-23, but in practice, check-in opens several hours before that for on-line check-in. When you do that, you can select seats. Due to the policy of charging for seat assignments, the seat map in Y seems to show as wide open right up until check-in opens.

You can also bid on upgrades to premium economy if you want to try that. See the LH forum for information on bidding on upgrades.
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
The best strategy to get good seats on LH without paying is to check in before the 23hr check in time. They say that you can check in at T-23, but in practice, check-in opens several hours before that for on-line check-in. When you do that, you can select seats. Due to the policy of charging for seat assignments, the seat map in Y seems to show as wide open right up until check-in opens.

You can also bid on upgrades to premium economy if you want to try that. See the LH forum for information on bidding on upgrades.
bidding has never worked for me (doesnít show up as an option) when Iím on a 016 ticket, which is what the OP has.
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by myperks View Post
bidding has never worked for me (doesnít show up as an option) when Iím on a 016 ticket, which is what the OP has.
That's why I buy tickets on LH.com when I'm going to fly LH - I get the upgrade option (I've been very successful) and I credit the miles to my UA account.
2stepbay likes this.
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by myperks View Post

Aha, forgot about that. I thought that they would allow it as the payment isn't tied to the actual ticket. Checked on the LH forum thread and it does corroborate your experience that you can't do the MyOffer upgrade bid on 016 tickets. As halls170 noted, this is why I, too, book LH flights on LH stock, with LH flight numbers
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Thank you everyone. Because the tickets were purchased from the cruise company, i had no choices on who stock to purchase. I guess i will try to check in early and see what opens up for us at that time and review the bidding options.
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
"That's why I buy tickets on LH.com when I'm going to fly LH - I get the upgrade option (I've been very successful) and I credit the miles to my UA account."

Havenít tried that approach. Does the upgrade option give you a choice between paying with miles (United) or Euro? And what is your usual bid in such circumstances?

Last edited by 2stepbay; Jul 16, 19 at 12:59 pm Reason: quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post
"That's why I buy tickets on LH.com when I'm going to fly LH - I get the upgrade option (I've been very successful) and I credit the miles to my UA account."

Havenít tried that approach. Does the upgrade option give you a choice between paying with miles (United) or Euro? And what is your usual bid in such circumstances?
Cash only, no miles. Once you purchase your tickets and select the upgrade option, a speedometer-like dial comes up with the pointer usually set at 1/3 or more from the lowest amount, which is variable based on the length of the flight. You are free to raise it or lower it. I left it set on the starting amount once, and didn't get an upgrade. For a standard TATL, I usually bid in the 550-650 Euro range. So far, I've been successful using that strategy.
2stepbay likes this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Bolding mine: this is correct, everyone will be able to check in at the premier desk with you on the outbound but only those who have actual pre-check will be able to use the pre-check line. As long as everyone is on the same PNR then those without pre-check should at least get premier access so they can use those lines. When it comes to the return I'm not sure if everyone can use the LH Star Alliance Gold check-in lines or not as I've never traveled with that many on another airline before. Someone else would have to chime in on that one. If you are all on the same PNR though I honestly don't see why they couldn't.
Old Jul 17, 19, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium
use the pre-check line due to my status.

They may or may not get pre-check. I wouldn't make any decisions assuming they get it - assume they will not and be happy if they do!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: