Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New FA crew bases - satellite bases MCO, PHX and SAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New FA crew bases - satellite bases MCO, PHX and SAN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
The FAs definitely said "hub" to me not base as I questioned it as I was surprised but you have all made me feel better about pricing and upgrades, not so thrilled by the longer travel time due to connections. Thanks everyone - FTers know more than many of the employees!
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Think of this way -- generally UA offers not stops from a hub to all other domestic hub. Think of what this means if 15 new "hubs" are added. Not a realistic proposition.

While the FA bases are more probably the "rumor", there is a concept of focus cities that is seeing some discussion by the airlines. Such as DL with RDU.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While the FA bases are more probably the "rumor"
I think we can be pretty confident based on EWR764 and JOSECONLSCREW28's statements that these are all crew bases and nothing else.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:25 pm

Some more info on the satellite bases:

https://unitedafa.org/news/satellite-bases/
Kacee and SkiPremier like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Some more info on the satellite bases
PHX being a satellite of DEN make a lot more sense than being a satellite of SFO.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
United is the only airline without focus cities, unless you count Cleveland as one. Otherwise its all hub and spoke with no one-offs between non-hub cities.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
Otherwise its all hub and spoke with no one-offs between non-hub cities.
Be careful of blanket statements. Have you looked at GUM? HNL? NRT?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by catocony
United is the only airline without focus cities, unless you count Cleveland as one. Otherwise its all hub and spoke with no one-offs between non-hub cities.
They have a fair number of one-off routes (it's harder to deduce on the new route map, since they no longer draw the lines on the domestic routes in Hemispheres), although I think that is more due to specific demand / government-required routes than anything.

That said, I do agree that UA seems to be lagging in terms of thinking about expanding beyond their 7 mainland hubs (if you can really call LAX a true hub ), but it seems like they are in no rush to consider any further expansion plans. I could see part of it being because UA basically has hubs in the dominant cities in all regions in the U.S. (excepting the Southeast), so they do not feel the need to seek out 'minor league' cities, if you will, at which to build a hub from scratch.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Someone should change the title of this thread to reflect the reality....
halls120 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:29 pm

What does it practically mean for a crew base to be a "satellite" of a particular hub
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
GUM is an actual hub. NRT was one, it could be described as a focus city although the only non-hub destination is Honolulu. There are some strange one-offs out of HNL, but again, that's about it as far as United is concerned. CLE has some flights to Florida and a few other non-hub spots, as does HNL.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Think of this way -- generally UA offers not stops from a hub to all other domestic hub.
GUM being the oddball “quasi-domestic” hub that has no flights to any other UA hub.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Be careful of blanket statements. Have you looked at GUM? HNL? NRT?
Seasonal non-stop service between CUN and AUS, MSY, and SAT gives CUN as many non-stop destinations as GUM. Might not be a bad choice for a future hub.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kale73
Seasonal non-stop service between CUN and AUS, MSY, and SAT gives CUN as many non-stop destinations as GUM. Might not be a bad choice for a future hub.
Seasonal leisure routes do not a hub make. CUN doesn't even have a UC.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Seasonal leisure routes do not a hub make. CUN doesn't even have a UC.
Based on what I’ve read in the UC threads on FT, that’s not a serious deficiency.

Acquiring Fifth Freedom rights would be the greater hurdle - barring an unlikely merger of the U.S.A. with Mexico (although stranger things have happened).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: UA MM
What defines a hub? Is it a minimum percentage of passengers that make a connection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.