FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   HNL-SFO Business Class Lunch (reg vs child) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1977997-hnl-sfo-business-class-lunch-reg-vs-child.html)

ac3000 Jul 14, 2019 2:06 am

HNL-SFO Business Class Lunch (reg vs child)

Hi

Travelling with 2 kids in business class HNL-SFO (UA308 - departs 1pm) - flight shows “lunch” as meal:
- one kid is a picky 8 year old
- other is 11 and not really that picky

Questions:
1. What is a typical lunch meal to expect?
2. If I opted for a “special meal” - what should I expect as a child’s meal?

garykung Jul 14, 2019 3:33 am

OP - if you want to be on the safe side, BYOL.

Originally Posted by ac3000 (Post 31301409)
1. What is a typical lunch meal to expect?

A small entree with a salad.

Originally Posted by ac3000 (Post 31301409)
2. If I opted for a “special meal” - what should I expect as a child’s meal?

Which special meal?

Ericka Jul 14, 2019 3:58 am

A 1k agent registered us for a child’s meal for our recent flights to/from Hawaii. The meals were not loaded on either flight. Luckily, I assumed as much and had packed food for my picky eater.

transportprof Jul 14, 2019 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Ericka (Post 31301583)
A 1k agent registered us for a child’s meal for our recent flights to/from Hawaii. The meals were not loaded on either flight. Luckily, I assumed as much and had packed food for my picky eater.

The main benefit of registering for a special meal on those domestic exceptions where they are supposedly offered is the opportunity it creates to obtain miles or future travel credit after they don't load the special meal and you write in subsequently. @:-)

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jul 14, 2019 10:44 am

If the child is picky, pack a meal he/she will eat. End of story. Whether or not the spawn will happy with whatever UA provides is pure speculation. Most kids, however, seem to be happy with the cookie provided an hour or so out of SFO.

1pm (service begins after1:30) is also past a normal lunchtime. There's plenty of options at the airport to feed the kids during normal meal time. Then, all you have to do is pack snacks.

HNLbasedFlyer Jul 14, 2019 10:52 am

Whatever the lunch is - it probably isn't going to be very good whether you are a picky eater or not. Probably a pasta or chicken or beef option. Anyway, it is 5 hour flight - not exactly long haul - Grab a late breakfast/early lunch in Honolulu or there is a Mexican place outside TSA or have the mini Pizza's before the flight at the UA gates - there is also a new restaurant that opened in the G concourse although I haven't been - there is also a Quiznos to grab a sandwich to go.

emcampbe Jul 14, 2019 11:27 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 31302433)
If the child is picky, pack a meal he/she will eat. End of story. Whether or not the spawn will happy with whatever UA provides is pure speculation.

This. X 1000.

Our oldest isn't picky at home - in fact is willing to give pretty much anything a try. Eating out changes the story, and it is a crapshoot - usually on the won’t even try a little side. There are days that are better, but to avoid disappointment, we always assume this isn’t the case.

If your younger one one is picky, pack something you know they will eat. Worst case, if they eat the airline provisioned meal, you have something for a little later (may come in handy on a 5+ hour flight). If not, you have something - important on a plane where there is little to get for several hours if they you don’t have something as an alternate.

ac3000 Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31301543)

Which special meal?

To clarify. For a special meal request I meant a “child meal”. What would this typically be for lunch?

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jul 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ac3000 (Post 31302800)

To clarify. For a special meal request I meant a “child meal”. What would this typically be for lunch?

Again, it may not be something your child would want to eat, regardless of what you think. Why don’t you eat lunch at the airport and bring snacks on board to avoid the uncertainty? Alternatively, you can probably post here after the flight about how you ordered a child’s meal that you thought your picky kid might eat and then he/she didn’t want it and had to go 5 hours without eating anything :) I can guarantee the responses then will be along the line of “why the heck didn’t you pack something????”

briantoy84 Jul 14, 2019 3:00 pm

ac3000, the special meal "child meal" is usually a burger and fries, or nuggets and fries. Usually not that great, especially the fries part.

krispy84 Jul 14, 2019 3:33 pm

I was a picky eater as a child. The moment I got a sniff of anything approaching a kids meal I’d kick off and demand the proper menu.

entropy Jul 14, 2019 3:50 pm

pack a meal for the kids? heck, pack/buy for the adults too, unless you think a $2.99 sub-lean cuisine quality meal will satisfy.

ac3000 Jul 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by briantoy84 (Post 31303149)
ac3000, the special meal "child meal" is usually a burger and fries, or nuggets and fries. Usually not that great, especially the fries part.

this should be good. But of course I will pack other stuff - I’ll post again after flight. LOL

thanks everyone!

katycab Jul 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Chicken fingers or burger

AeRoSpaceman Jul 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by briantoy84 (Post 31303149)

Thank you for this. It is good info and I think what the OP was asking for.