Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hipplewm
Longest UA operated E175 flights
  • EUG-ORD - 1,780 miles
  • MSN-SFO - 1,768 miles
  • STL-SFO - 1,735 miles, flown seasonally (winter)
  • MSN-LAX - 1,687 miles
  • RDM-ORD - 1,677 miles
  • MSP-SFO - 1,538 miles
  • AUS EWR - 1,501 miles
  • MCI-SFO- 1,498 miles
  • SFO-SAT - 1,482 miles
  • CHS-DEN - 1467 miles
Print Wikipost

Longest Embraer 175 routes?

Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I was in Y this morning LCY to MUC and I’ll take the E190 all time compared to an A320 or even worse a 737
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe

not sure if they still do, but AC used to have ovens in their E75s.
They do. While I do agree that the E175 is not a bad ride overall in Y and F compared to the rest of the UA narrowbody fleet (excluding the 752), the lack of hot food is really noticeable once you experience breakfast on an AC E175 that isn’t a dreadful cheese plate and is better than most of UA’s mainline breakfasts.

As for the plugs not fitting - I have noticed that and find it supremely annoying. Why they chose to have the power outlet installed at an odd angle undoubtedly has to do with costs, if I were being cynical...
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
Not sure why you’d prefer any other domestic aircraft to the E-Jet. 737s and A320s/19s are awful in comparison. The E-Jet offers a much better product in both J and Y than any of the rest of the UA domestic fleet. Yes the 757 is preferable but UA only flies international versions of this aircraft at this point.
It's just math. I'd rather have greater upgrade chances and the Boeing options do that with 16-20 seats to upgrade into. I'm NOT advocating for the airbus 319 with only 8 F seats certainly.

If I was booking domestic F I wouldn't mind the 175, but I don't do that often at all, always look for the most seats to book with upgrade on my mind. Particularly for a 4 hour flight. It is a generous 12 seat F cabin, but 4-8 seats more for Boeing wins for me.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by schley
It's just math. I'd rather have greater upgrade chances and the Boeing options do that with 16-20 seats to upgrade into. I'm NOT advocating for the airbus 319 with only 8 F seats certainly.
But the math favors E175 in terms of upgrade chances. (F:Y ratio)
E175 1:5.33 (12F64Y)
A320 1:11.5 (12F138Y)
B73G 1:9.5 (12F114Y)
B738 1:10.4 (16F150Y)
B739 1:7.95 (20F159Y)

More Y seats also mean more elites in Y competing for the same upgrade. But mostly depends on which fare you purchased and what time of day/week you're flying. I can only recall 1 missed upgrade on E175 for me in the last 5 years (on a Friday evening STL-EWR).
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's just math. I'd rather have greater upgrade chances and the Boeing options do that with 16-20 seats to upgrade into.
The E175 has the best upgrade chances in the fleet -- although EWR-AUS is tough to upgrade on any plane.

You're looking at it wrong. You can't just consider the total number of F seats; you need to consider the ratio of F to Y. On the E175, with 12F/64Y, 15.8% of the plane is F. The 738 is 16F/150Y, so 9.6% of the plane is F. The 739 is 20F/159Y, or 11.1%.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
I can only recall 1 missed upgrade on E175 for me in the last 5 years (on a Friday evening STL-EWR).
Here are my E175 stats on UA:
F: 44; E+: 14 (most at Platinum or below)

Here are my 739/7M9 stats:
F: 69; E+: 35

and here are my 738 stats:
F: 58; E+: 35

Last edited by jsloan; Jul 13, 2019 at 9:43 am
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

You have to factor in how many seats are available after F seats are sold. That only leaves X number of seats for upgrades. I don't know if there is a disparity with people booking F on mainline vs. 175's but there maybe. For our discussion consider they are equal.

Say 4 seats sold in F on each. You got 8 seats for upgrades on the 175 vs. 12-16 on the 737's after there. Outside of GS, I love my chances as a 1k usually on a mid fare economy fare. Usually 3 hours or more I use a a RPU. If it shorter then if the CPU goes through great.

So looking at is like the whole F cabin is open is not reality as we know, thus the more seats the better taking the above into account, IMHO.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

If I was booking domestic F I wouldn't mind the 175, but I don't do that often at all, always look for the most seats to book with upgrade on my mind. Particularly for a 4 hour flight. It is a generous 12 seat F cabin, but 4-8 seats more for Boeing wins for me.
I'm still not totally sure I understand. On a 738 you would have 16F and roughly 150Y. On a 739 you would have 20F and roughly 160Y. On a 175 it 12F to only 64Y. Therefore your upgrade chances on the 175 should be significantly better.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Say 4 seats sold in F on each.
That's just not the way that it works, though. Rather, UA is able to sell some percentage of its total customers an F seat. The more total seats they sell, the more F seats they're going to sell.

My upgrade chances are empirically better -- considerably better -- on the E175 than on the 738/739/7M9, as I posted.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Team,

It isn't difficult to understand. I'm not a kettle, I'm a 1k and on routes over 3 hours I use RPU's either my own or CC trades. the most important factor for me isn't how many people are sitting in coach, it is the amount of F seats to upgrade into period.

I don't think anyone outside of UA has data on how many seats are booked on 175's vs A320 etc. However, I don't think the loads of purchased F would vary a great deal. Thus how many seats in the front are open after the purchased F. Boom Bob's your uncle to all you Canadians.

Again total F vs. Y isn't the formula. It is available seats for upgraders after purchased F. The numbers aren't commensurate to upgrade chances because you have less Y passengers.

I don't have to convince anyone, it works good for me. If you have a different take, I guess it would further help my chances so by all means keep it up.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+
I flew from RDM to ORD due to some issues last week that caused a re-booking to the red eye on the 175.
That was long, but in F. Tried to sleep. but will concur that the F seat is nice during the day, but not great for sleeping for me. 1477 NM or 1680 BIS from UA.
I also booked a ticket for a family member last week on MSN-LAX nonstop. That is a long flight too.
Being in MCI, I get to fly the long route to SFO regularly also. But they have started to upgauge that aircraft also.
I really do like the 175 and am glad to see it serving some of the smaller markets formerly limited to a CR-200 or a RJ-145.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the most important factor for me isn't how many people are sitting in coach, it is the amount of F seats to upgrade into period.
That's not going to do you much good when all of the seats are sold, or when there are four other passengers ahead of you who are also using RPUs, or who are GS members (GS CPUs trump 1K RPUs within the GS CPU window).

I don't think anyone outside of UA has data on how many seats are booked on 175's vs A320 etc. However, I don't think the loads of purchased F would vary a great deal.
This is ridiculous. If all flights sold the same number of F seats, all planes would have the same number of F seats. It's not like there's some kind of law that you can't fly a 739 as 4F / 196Y. UA is not putting additional F capacity out there to try to help people upgrade. I've been on 739s that didn't upgrade a single passenger. In fact, I was 30th on the upgrade list on a 739 from AUS-SFO once, as a 1K. If I'd had an RPU applied, maybe I would have been 10th. What difference would that have made? Nobody cleared on that flight.

I don't have to convince anyone, it works good for me. If you have a different take, I guess it would further help my chances so by all means keep it up.
Your upgrade percentage has a lot more to do with the places you fly and the flight timing than it does the type of aircraft, but to the extent that the aircraft type matters, the E175 is your best bet among all of the narrow body aircraft. You can choose to ignore the numbers and book what you want, but people aren't making this up. Really.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2019 at 6:15 pm Reason: OT discussion removed
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA MM
Team,

It isn't difficult to understand. I'm not a kettle, I'm a 1k and on routes over 3 hours I use RPU's either my own or CC trades. the most important factor for me isn't how many people are sitting in coach, it is the amount of F seats to upgrade into period.

I don't think anyone outside of UA has data on how many seats are booked on 175's vs A320 etc. However, I don't think the loads of purchased F would vary a great deal. Thus how many seats in the front are open after the purchased F. Boom Bob's your uncle to all you Canadians.

Again total F vs. Y isn't the formula. It is available seats for upgraders after purchased F. The numbers aren't commensurate to upgrade chances because you have less Y passengers.

What's also not difficult to understand is UA puts larger aircraft on routes where's there's greater demand. Greater overall demand certainly implies greater demand for F seats, too. The chances of them selling 8 F seats on an A320 is higher than selling 8 F seats on an E175 and that directly impacts you're chances of getting an upgrade.
jsloan and hirohito888 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:22 pm

I’ve been doing SFO-SAT several times a year since the mid 90s. While it doesn’t make the wiki’s top 5 above, its 1482 miles puts it right up there. The route gets UX service (SkyWest) most of the time with mainline showing up around holidays. I prefer today’s E175 over any of the previous equipment, particularly if I can claim 1A as I’ve managed on 90% of my trips. Solo window/aisle seat, AC power, streaming entertainment, and a dedicated F lav—what’s not to like?

Okay no ovens in the galley. But I’ve come to see that as an advantage (unlike the early 2000s when the ex-shuttle 735 flew without ovens and offered some truly awful meals). In contrast to previous opinions, I prefer the current UX entree salads over any hot domestic entree, including those on the premium transcons. The kale soba noodle with chicken on the side (I tend to avoid meat) came to be a favorite even though I got it on every single flight for a good three years running. In keeping with my contrarian view, I actually dislike the cookie because it’s overly sweet and processed for my tastes.

I know it’s almost anathema to say here but I find today’s E175 service a significant improvement over the pmUA offerings on this route, even mainline. And the fact that I can skip the upgrade game by buying paid F for just a couple of hundred over Y at my typical two to three week booking window seals the deal.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
STL-SFO is 1735 miles, flown seasonally (winter) on an E175 2x daily. Summer is 2x daily on an A320.
Easy Upgrade.

Add that to the Wiki..
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Team,

The number of people sitting in coach directly affects how many people you are in competition with for an upgrade. While a 737 may have more F seats available on the aircraft, they could have dozens more passengers looking to upgrade into them.

The number of people purchasing F is going to vary greatly from flight to flight. For example, I will purchase F if it's reasonable on a flight of 2+ hours, I'm absolutely not going to do so on something that's 45 minutes long. The available seats for upgrades after F seats have been sold is not going to take some sort of linear formula strictly based on the number of F seats an aircraft has.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.