Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Avoid flying UA's EWR-MAD (77G with no seatback screens / CH9 in economy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle

This route is operated daily by a domestic aircraft.

No IFE at all, this is probably the only trans-Atlantic flight using a aircraft without IFE

Feels like a Ryanair flight as even Norwegian offers IFE.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Currently a domestic-configuration 77G until the end of the peak summer season (October) when it reverts to 767-400 then 767-300 for the winter. Fortunately this is the only 77G TATL route this summer; last year there were more. Hopefully they are totally gone by next year.
767-322ETOPS, narvik, oopl and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

I was very disappointed, I chose this non-stop flight over a direct flight to FRA on the B78X, all because I wanted to have CH9. Imagine my disappointment when boarding this horrible aircraft.

They should at least warn you when booing, that the aircraft has no IFE at all. The crew were irritated by it too as they have no bunks on this aircraft too.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ELAL

No IFE at all, this is probably the only trans-Atlantic flight using a aircraft without IFE
I always have backup movies/books loaded on my iPad as I assume the IFE may not be functioning....
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I was very disappointed, I chose this non-stop flight over a direct flight to FRA on the B78X, all because I wanted to have CH9.
Channel 9 is generally switched off nowadays so if that was your priority, then you likely would have been unhappy whichever route you took.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
The IFE is present. It's call PDE and you need your phone and tablet updated with the latest United app to access it. This has been something the FA's announce in the very beginning every time. People prefer watching on their personal devices to avoid getting interrupted by constant announcements (which is what happens on seatback entertainment)
moondog and LAX_BillyJoe like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The crew were irritated by it too as they have no bunks on this aircraft too.
I don't have a great deal of sympathy for FAs here... this is contractual.

. On dual aisle aircraft where there are no bunks, the Company shall provide crew rest facilities as follows:

(2). On the current B-777H and B-777D aircraft (tail numbers 2469, 2471, 2473-2478, 2480, 2481, 2510- 2515, 2368, 2372, 2379), the crew rest seats shall be two (2) sets of three (3) contiguous seats or three (3) sets of two (2) contiguous seats in the first or last rows of any zone
Thus paving the way for longer haul operations with A-Market 777s.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
People prefer watching on their personal devices to avoid getting interrupted by constant announcements (which is what happens on seatback entertainment)
What data backs that up? One issue with PDE is the assumption that every traveler has a device. Using family travel as a lens, every traveler may not have access to a PDE. Looking through another lens, often I'm multitasking (work, food, etc.) and finding space for a handheld PDE is a real issue. Especially as airlines are quite slow to provide slots/clips/etc to hold a device. Another lens, usb charging is not always strong enough to keep up with the drain on the battery from streaming and/or the charging ports are non functional (or in the case of AA) don't exist. Just food for thought.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
People prefer watching on their personal devices to avoid getting interrupted by constant announcements (which is what happens on seatback entertainment)
On both 757 flights I took two weeks ago (DEN-EWR and EWR-ARN), playback was paused on PDE when announcements were made. I had to use PDE on the DEN-EWR segment because my IFE was broken. I much prefer using IFE over PDE.
AeRoSpaceman and altabello like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Channel 9 is generally switched off nowadays so if that was your priority, then you likely would have been unhappy whichever route you took.
By asking the cockpit crew when boarding, I have a 75% success rate of it being on.

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
What data backs that up? One issue with PDE is the assumption that every traveler has a device. Using family travel as a lens, every traveler may not have access to a PDE. Looking through another lens, often I'm multitasking (work, food, etc.) and finding space for a handheld PDE is a real issue. Especially as airlines are quite slow to provide slots/clips/etc to hold a device. Another lens, usb charging is not always strong enough to keep up with the drain on the battery from streaming and/or the charging ports are non functional (or in the case of AA) don't exist. Just food for thought.
On INTL flights there are a high percentage of foreign based customers, who like myself can be limited in data, to start downloading apps.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 12, 2019 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
On INTL flights there are a high percentage of foreign based customers, who like myself can be limited in data, to start downloading apps.
Try WiFi
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:34 am

If you have a mobile device with the United app you would still have access to a wide selection of movies and entertainment through the app.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
It is my experience that for flights with PDE, you receive an email from UA a few days before telling you to be sure to download the latest version of the app.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
On both 757 flights I took two weeks ago (DEN-EWR and EWR-ARN), playback was paused on PDE when announcements were made. I had to use PDE on the DEN-EWR segment because my IFE was broken. I much prefer using IFE over PDE.
It's been like this for a while.

I actually use the PDE over IFE because I can use my Bluetooth headphones. Having a large iPad that is just as big as the IFE helps though.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I get all of what you say but I now travel with my ipad pre-loaded with movies/entertainment/etc... I also carry a charging battery and noise canceling head phones. I NEVER trust the on-board PDE OR wi-fi availability. It is kind of a hassle taking all that tech on board but that is about all I carry now on board. I have to check bags for work so I usually only carry a small personal bag with my tech equipment, personal items, and occasional food, particularly on a long flight like this.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.