Wiki Posts
Search

United versus NJTransit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
United versus NJTransit

Being in NJ and a pretty frequent user of both United and NJTransit, I just thank the lord that United is nowhere near NJTransit level of incompetence. For all my gripes with United, I am now taking a much more meditative approach with its issues after experiencing this summer with NJTransit.

I know this is a low bar but the reason I am writing this, is to give a moment of thanks to United.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by azfanboy
I know this is a low bar
Yup
Icydubloon and fattygoose like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 12, 2019 at 12:14 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Eadward
I know this is a low bar
Yup
Last week, I decided to pay the triple the price for Uber/Lyft ride into Midtown rather than risking NJ transit.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 12, 2019 at 12:15 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I know this is a low bar but the reason I am writing this, is to give a moment of thanks to United.
Maybe I have a low bar too, but my biggest United issue all year has been a 2-hour maintenance delay EWR-CMH. If that's the worst I get, then they're doing pretty well, all things considered.

My wife's got a longer delay driving home today on Route 80.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by seat38a
Last week, I decided to pay the triple the price for Uber/Lyft ride into Midtown rather than risking NJ transit.
IME NJT is more reliable, although I guess it only really matters going to the airport. One two-hour backup on West Street and I never looked back. Could be small sample size bias though
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:56 pm

Why not take the PATH train as far as Herald Square (34th and Broadway) and then it's a short cab or Uber or subway to elsewhere in Midtown?
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Why not take the PATH train as far as Herald Square (34th and Broadway) and then it's a short cab or Uber or subway to elsewhere in Midtown?
PATH has no connections at EWR.

I generally take the Newark Airport Express Bus ($17 one-way: a few dollars off on round-trip). Okay experience especially if the wait isn't long. A good option for me as it is door-to-door to my SO's place in Manhattan; as opposed to Airtrain -> NJTransit -> Subway.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I heard that the PATH wants to extend from NWK to EWR, but it's just a pipe dream as far as I know.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I've had multiple UA delays in 2019. Reality 70% ATC, 20% (recent SATURDAYS also ATC but more challenging) of disabled/emergency planes taking out one runway resulting in closure of airport because all emergency equipment are occupied and 10% mechanical issue. So, considering none of the mechanical was mid-flight - I agree with the poster must be happy with the efficient operations.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Let me guess. Through Parsipanny?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17

I generally take the Newark Airport Express Bus ($17 one-way: a few dollars off on round-trip). Okay experience especially if the wait isn't long. A good option for me as it is door-to-door to my SO's place in Manhattan; as opposed to Airtrain -> NJTransit -> Subway.
After dealing with taking the Picadilly Line, Zurich Tram and finally the Istanbul Metro from the airport to our hotel, I've burned out on taking public transit from the airport to my final destination. I did make an exception for the Heathrow Express last December. By booking early and my arrival day being on a weekend, I was able to score first class tickets for 1/4 of the price of the usual walkup standard class. The thought of taking the airtrain and NJ Transit during the summer brought back bad memories of the hot sweltering and jam packed Istanbul Metro. Especially when there are three or more people, Uber/Lyft becomes competitive or even cheaper than NJ Transit.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by seat38a
After dealing with taking the Picadilly Line, Zurich Tram and finally the Istanbul Metro from the airport to our hotel, I've burned out on taking public transit from the airport to my final destination. I did make an exception for the Heathrow Express last December. By booking early and my arrival day being on a weekend, I was able to score first class tickets for 1/4 of the price of the usual walkup standard class. The thought of taking the airtrain and NJ Transit during the summer brought back bad memories of the hot sweltering and jam packed Istanbul Metro. Especially when there are three or more people, Uber/Lyft becomes competitive or even cheaper than NJ Transit.
NJ transit blows and would never take it from EWR into Manhattan. Heathrow Express is a quite expedient trip to Paddington. Narita Express is also a decent option if nearby the end point.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I heard that the PATH wants to extend from NWK to EWR, but it's just a pipe dream as far as I know.
i've taken New Jersey transit bus from Newark airport to the Newark path train station, it only takes about 10/15 minutes max and it's $1.50

actually my last two trips to NYC I've use the path trains both to Wall Street and 34th St. One time was over the weekend and I got a free ferry ride to boot because the oculus station was closed that day it takes about an hour each way but I kind of enjoy it.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
I have been taking NJT from EWR pretty much ever week (Monday from EWR-NYP/Thursday from NYP-EWR) for the last three years, and haven't had a single "bad" experience on NJT. Worst issue I have had was a 20 minute delay.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
NJ Transit trans run on a lot of AMTAK rail so NJT is not always the problem...and currently there are regular delays on all trains into NYC due to limited track in the tunnels. That said, this thread is a good reminder for for why I am happy I could put NJ and EWR in my rearview mirror two weeks ago, even it my UA flight was 3 hours late................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.